Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 09:56 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,234,127 times

Advertisements

Eh, as long as everyone is fine with it and is getting their rest, I don't see the issue. Our kids slept on our bed for the longest time; just last year we finally kicked them out... and now they co-sleep in their own beds, LOL. I'm sure at some point they'll all want their own space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2015, 11:17 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,251,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
So, they had issues with their kids coming to their bed and wandering the house. I think I would address that in other ways. Also, it sounds like she was having problems since she was nursing a baby while having to take care of a child with disabilities. "The Old Woman In The Shoe" comes to mind.

She basically put her life out there on the internet and then is surprised that people looked at it and I am sure it passed around like a hot potato. Hopefully, other parents and children will understand the "situation" since kids can be really cruel as can parents when it comes to "different". Would you want your child to spend the night there? Of course, no child would ever make fun of a child that is 7 years old sleeping in the same room with their parents and siblings.

If it wasn't a big deal, it wouldn't have gotten so many hits. I think this "approach" rather than solving the real issues of the children coming to their bed, wandering the house and having more children than they could really handle will come back to bite them in the butt.
They might do different arrangements for sleepovers but I get your point. My kid went for her first sleepover recently with a child (7) that still co-sleeps but I was fine with that, they all slept together that night (dad at the far end of the bed, his kid in the middle and my kid on the other end).

Old 10-21-2015, 11:18 AM

162 posts, read 203,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
Well, gee whiz, howdaya think he conceived all them kids then???
Figuratively speaking...

Old 10-21-2015, 01:54 PM

774 posts, read 745,443 times
These people started doing this because the kids didn't obey them at bedtime and it was a hassle. Um. Ok.

Old 10-21-2015, 02:28 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,609,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
No, they don't.
Did you see the photo in the link you posted?
It is an IKEA hack that has two bunk beds flanking a bed.

7 people are NOT in the same king-size bed.
Exactly what I was going to say! It's at the very least a Queen with two single bunks next to it. Four kids have their own single matresses, then the baby is in with the parents in a Queen (or king).

If by intimacy he means sex, I bet their house has more than one room and while the kids are asleep in that room the parents have the whole house to roam in.

Old 10-21-2015, 03:10 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,728,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
They might do different arrangements for sleepovers but I get your point. My kid went for her first sleepover recently with a child (7) that still co-sleeps but I was fine with that, they all slept together that night (dad at the far end of the bed, his kid in the middle and my kid on the other end).
When we do sleepovers, my kid and the guest(s) camp out in the den instead of sleeping in that kid's bedroom most of the time. I think it's fairly common for special arrangements to be made for sleepovers, regardless of whether or not a family cosleeps.

Old 10-21-2015, 03:24 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmenn View Post
First of all, those parents never need any intimacy?
Or maybe intimacy is just not an option with so many kids, no matter if you have separate rooms or not!?!

It's a good way to spare space I agree, but it just feels wrong...or very cute...I can't decide yet.

This 7-person family actually loves sharing one giant bed
5 Kids? They've had enough intimacy!! Maybe the bed was a gift from the grand parents so they stop making more babies.

King Size bed? BS.

I think it is cute. I would do it.

Old 10-21-2015, 03:44 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
It wasn't all that long ago that entire families slept together in one room, often even just one bed, so its not like it doesn't work but its not for me. I don't mind my kid coming into bed with us if she has a bad dream but I don't want it being a regular thing, whereas friends of mine have both kids in their kingsize bed with them and it works for them.
Families slept together in one room because they were in poverty.

Would I do this? No, I didn't and never would.

My husband would have a fit.

We have a bed, the kids had their own beds.

Too many horror stories of parents co sleeping with infants and rolling over and killing them.

Old 10-21-2015, 05:50 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Families slept together in one room because they were in poverty.

Would I do this? No, I didn't and never would.

My husband would have a fit.

We have a bed, the kids had their own beds.

Too many horror stories of parents co sleeping with infants and rolling over and killing them.
Those horror stories are not really very common. There are different types of bed sharing as well, with some more dangerous than others.

Cosleeping and Biological Imperatives: Why Human Babies Do Not and Should Not Sleep Alone | Neuroanthropology

Quote:
Bed-sharing is another form of co-sleeping which can be made either safe or unsafe, but it is not intrinsically one nor the other. Couch or sofa co-sleeping is, however, intrinsically dangerous as babies can and do all too easily get pushed against the back of the couch by the adult, or flipped face down in the pillows, to suffocate.
Note that there are co-sleepers now that help with safety. Also, it seems that alcohol and smoking contribute to bad results when co-sleeping.

Quote:
In Japan where co-sleeping and breastfeeding (in the absence of maternal smoking) is the cultural norm, rates of the sudden infant death syndrome are the lowest in the world.
Quote:
The Academy of Breast Feeding Medicine, the USA Breast Feeding Committee, the Breast Feeding section of the American Academy of Pediatrics, La Leche League International, UNICEF and WHO are all prestigious organizations who support bed-sharing and which use the best and latest scientific information on what makes mothers and babies safe and healthy. Clearly, there is no scientific consensus.

Old 10-21-2015, 07:24 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Those horror stories are not really very common. There are different types of bed sharing as well, with some more dangerous than others.

Cosleeping and Biological Imperatives: Why Human Babies Do Not and Should Not Sleep Alone | Neuroanthropology

Note that there are co-sleepers now that help with safety. Also, it seems that alcohol and smoking contribute to bad results when co-sleeping.
The death of one child from co sleeping (and that may be the dumbest term on the planet), is one too many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting