Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 02:01 PM

160 posts, read 187,929 times

Advertisements

Thank you all for sharing and reassuring me he's a normal 16 yo! I appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2015, 03:35 AM

796 posts, read 505,652 times
Your son sounds like he is normal, just introverted. Even though u mentioned an older brother moving in, he seems to be raised as an only child. You may need to encourage him to step outside his box when it comes to social skills and establishing relationships. By having no siblings around AND not being a natural extrovert...this can happen.

Old 11-03-2015, 07:58 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,291,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingutah View Post
This is just new to me, my 2 older kids were never home! He seems to be content for the most part so I guess he is doing just fine. I guess I was really looking for some reassurance that this is not that out of the ordinary and that all kids do their own thing on their own timeline.
You have my reassurance....he sounds better than just ordinary.
Consider yourself fortunate....

Old 11-03-2015, 08:21 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,518,681 times
Nothing wrong with your son. I had a son who had many friends but just didn't hang out with them after school or on weekends , He srtayed home. Also have a grandson who had many friends but didn'just wasn't interested in what went on after school or weekends with kids his age.

Both boys (men now). Son is married with 2 kids and is successful and has fishing/football, etc. friends Grandson still lives with me, but is going to college and working to help with the cost and just bought his first car. No girlfriend yet, but he does have a pretty girl he works with in mind

I call those type of kids "late bloomers" because they "take care of the business of their futures first

Old 11-03-2015, 09:09 AM

924 posts, read 1,678,670 times
My son is 18. He was shy as a young child and somewhat reserved through elementary and high school. He tended to stick with just one friend and was never popular. He never went on a sleep over, was uncomfortable at parties and hated events like school spirit days. His social life in high school was limited to the kids he socialized with while doing sports or music. He never got together with them or classmates to just hang out. He claimed his classmates just liked to hang out online and he found that boring. Basically, we have just accepted that he is more introverted and reserved than his two sisters. He seemed happy, said he was happy so we left him alone but I worried a bit.

He left for college in August. A few weeks ago, a clip was posted on FB I think it was. My daughter called me over to watch it. It was from a televised college football game where they panned the sellout crowd of kids cheering the team. And there was my "quiet," "introverted" son, in the center of a very lively bunch of students, screaming and cheering, smiling, jumping, wearing a t-shirt emblazoned with the logo. My jaw dropped! We had to freeze the action and verify that it was him.

A week later he wanted me to send more money, so he could go to the beach for the weekend. I asked, "oh, with your football friends?" Nope, with a different group. There are now several - the "dorm friends," the "study friends," the "game friends," the "athletic friends." He is cutting Thanksgiving break with us short so he can get back to hang out with them - big game, big plans.

So yeah, they bloom when they bloom. I've seen 6 year olds who you just knew would end up in politics, they had already mastered the art of handshake and conversation, and then there are those who seem quiet, but are just waiting for the right setting to bring them out of their shell.

Old 11-06-2015, 08:24 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,509,376 times
Great thread! I have a 15yo who is similar, and I know in my gut he's fine, but I still worry sometimes. Glad to read all the great comments! My son is so much like his dad.

Old 11-09-2015, 02:23 PM

155 posts, read 234,305 times
While its hard to judge because we don't know all your personal details and your son like you do, I wouldn't worry too much necessarily. The times have changed from when you were his age, I was his age when the internet first started to gain some traction in the mainstream and was one of the earlier adopters to the internet/computer lifestyle. I never really was one to hang out with friends/go out, perhaps your son is the same. He can do it all online, and given what you told us about him, he may find comfort in that since he is 'different' than most kids.

Old 11-09-2015, 02:26 PM

160 posts, read 187,929 times
Thank you to everyone that took the time to respond. You have all been so kind and helpful. I can't wait to see what the future holds for my son!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting