Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 11:03 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,427,001 times

Advertisements

We were newlyweds, mid-1970s. For our second Christmas, I bought a set of lawn darts for my husband - the ones with the long, sharp metal points. He and my brother took them out to a grassy area across the street to play with them. They even discussed how dangerous they were.
For all I know, they could be up in the attic somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2016, 03:09 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,864,317 times
Not exactly a toy, but the answer for my siblings and I has to be, without a doubt, our ponies. Guns a close second.

I'm fine with toys and sports and pastimes nowadays being safer than they were; everything back in the day turned out fine, except when it didn't.

http://www.hrsa.gov/healthit/images/...tality_pub.pdf

Attached Thumbnails
Most dangerous toy you ever received as a gift-untitled.png   Most dangerous toy you ever received as a gift-2.png  

Old 02-28-2016, 03:17 AM

19,429 posts, read 15,248,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
How about cap guns? I remember playing with strips of paper that had little exploding dots all over them.
Even more fun when you set them off with a hammer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyMunster View Post
I didn't get it....I always wanted an Easy Bake oven. I was told they were 'too dangerous'. Looking back, I can't recall ever hearing of a fire or some kid getting serious burns caused by an Easy Bake. I suspect the mess I probably would've made is the real reason.

Cap guns? I loved them. We didn't even need the gun; we were perfectly happy just popping the little paper strips between two rocks.
Also those little snapper things you throw, usually sold at the fireworks around July 4th. Fireworks! Now there's some dangerous 'toys'. Kids have free reign of them more than they should, and some adults are even more careless with them than kids.
Maybe the questionable "cake mix" that came with it. lol

The Water Wiggle was fun, but almost seemed to have a sinister element to it. Look at this thing, it has a life of its own. Like some sort of crazed serpent. It could beat you up pretty bad. lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D_WdavMuKs

Old 02-28-2016, 03:26 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,500,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
Even more fun when you set them off with a hammer.

Maybe the questionable "cake mix" that came with it. lol

The Water Wiggle was fun, but almost seemed to have a sinister element to it. Look at this thing, it has a life of its own. Like some sort of crazed serpent. It could beat you up pretty bad. lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D_WdavMuKs
That damned Water Wiggle smacked me in the head more than once. Slip and Slide always seemed like a good idea but we always ended up black and blue.

Old 02-28-2016, 03:54 AM

19,429 posts, read 15,248,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
That damned Water Wiggle smacked me in the head more than once. Slip and Slide always seemed like a good idea but we always ended up black and blue.
lol! I was actually going to give the Slip and Slide an honorable mention. Theoretically, it seems harmless enough. But it entails you getting a running start, slamming yourself onto the ground, hurtling toward some uncontrollable outcome (situations sometimes including cement planters, perhaps a sprinkler head, undetected obstacles underneath it). So much fun, though. One of the things I look back upon with the most fondness.

Old 02-28-2016, 04:25 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times
Even now some shops sell terrible toys like bow and arrows, plastic swords with pointed ends, cheap plastic with hazardous chemicals for young childrens toys... those eggs with a dinosaur, god only knows whats inside them..

Old 02-28-2016, 08:22 AM

2,466 posts, read 2,764,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Flubber. A 60's era toy inspired by the Disney movie The Absent Minded Professor. It was a rubbery, goopy substance you could shape into a ball and bounce. It was so toxic it gave people, including me, full body rashes. Stuff was poison. They had to stop selling it and it was eventually recalled. It was so dangerous Hasbro, the manufacturer, tried to burn it to get rid of it. It produced toxic smoke. Then they enlisted the Navy. The Navy tried to sink it into the ocean. It floated back up to the surface. Finally they rounded it up and buried tons of it in a deep pit and paved the top of the pit. Flubber was a ton of fun.... until the rash, cough and sore throat hit. I was sick for a week.
I was actually just reading about Flubber and what happened. Hasbro voluntarily stopped selling/making it and there was no official recall, Hasbro pulled it off the shelves. There was also no solid evidence that the 1600 reported cases of rash, etc were related to anything other than a contracted virus, and not caused by Flubber, including a report by the FDA.

There's also no evidence that the Navy was involved- Habro tried to dump it in a local lake in Rhode Island.
Despite tales that it was buried under the former Hasbro headquarters, EPA soil testing debunked that as well.

http://progresscityusa.com/2011/09/0...-fiasco-of-63/

Old 02-28-2016, 09:31 AM

17,623 posts, read 17,682,949 times
My parents once got me a skateboard that was made of a hard resin plastic and the board was very narrow and short. Hit a pebble on the wheel and I went flying. Folks were so happy I never used it again. Roller skates (plastic wheels) were a bit safer. Had a Daisy BB gun. Nope, never shot my eye out. Had the metal point lawn darts. Coming from a family that played horse shoes with metal shoes, we had sense enough to move aside when tossing and watch where they're falling. No one at our home ever got hit by those lawn darts.

Old 02-28-2016, 10:44 AM

7,991 posts, read 5,389,281 times
Pen Knife--lots of kids had them. I am pretty sure I got my first one in Brownies.
We brought them to school and would whittle wood with them during recess.

Old 02-28-2016, 10:54 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
There was also no solid evidence that the 1600 reported cases of rash, etc were related to anything other than a contracted virus, and not caused by Flubber, including a report by the FDA.
Hmmm.... If they needed "solid evidence" they should have contacted the high-priced dermatologists and allergists who confirmed my rash was from the Flubber. I have a reaction to similar products to this day.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 02-28-2016 at 11:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting