Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 06:48 AM

17,622 posts, read 17,682,949 times

Advertisements

I'm 47. My first thought was the chemistry set I got one Christmas in the mid 1970s. But in truth, it would probably be the electric train set. For this set to work you had to wrap bare copper wire around two poles on a transformer. You plug in the transformer and move a lever to send electricity to the bare metal train tracks. The more you move the lever, the faster the train moved. Looking back on it now, how the heck did I NOT get electrocuted or poisoned?! The next dangerous toy was a bicycle. No helmet nor pads. Before I was a teenager I was riding my bike across town sometimes 10 miles away from home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2016, 06:50 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,003,230 times
How about cap guns? I remember playing with strips of paper that had little exploding dots all over them.

Old 02-27-2016, 07:24 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,928,039 times
Stupidity is dangerous Those toys were not dangerous, the abuse of anything is dangerous, drinking too much water at one time will kill you.
Millions of kids played with those toys and had no trouble , helmets and pads give a false sense of security, and people that will be stupid still are stupid.

If parents don't teach their children common sense and personal responsibility, and leave teaching to some one else, of course things will be abused, and some one get's hurt .
People love to blame some one or something else for their own foolishness, going for the deep pocket lawsuit, and it's just plain wrong .
But that's the liberal for you. A person and lawyer will put a company out of business to satisfy their own greed, sherk personal responsibility and make every one else suffer .

I had knives and guns and a whole workshop growing up to work and play in since I was 7 . dad taught me the dangers and need to be safe and use the right PPEs while working .
I made a steak knife for my mom when I was 7-8 as well as other knives and things and dad gave me a gun when I was 12 .
No one was endangered in any way by me or the things I had .

Yes there were living examples of stupid that we knew growing up ,but I never felt compelled to be stupid too.

By the time I was 14 dad was letting me learn to drive and at 15 I was driving his 1 ton dump truck not yet even having a learning permit.
Never a collision nor even a scratch on any of his 15 different cars and trucks he had through the years ,no collisions of my own for that matter, and I'm 65.

Old 02-27-2016, 07:41 AM

676 posts, read 726,157 times
I got a 12 gage shot gun which if I was not taught right could be dangerous. I got a dirt bike which could be dangerous. I did wipe out a few times but no biggie. I have gotten a large amount of knifes growing up which could be dangerous. I got a weight set which could be dangerous. I got a welder at a young age which could be dangerous. I suppose most things could be dangerous in the wrong hands but I knew the rules and was taught the safe way to operate all of my gifts. I think my older brother was a bigger danger to my health than any present ive had lol.

Old 02-27-2016, 07:53 AM

17,622 posts, read 17,682,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Stupidity is dangerous Those toys were not dangerous, the abuse of anything is dangerous, drinking too much water at one time will kill you.
Millions of kids played with those toys and had no trouble , helmets and pads give a false sense of security, and people that will be stupid still are stupid.

If parents don't teach their children common sense and personal responsibility, and leave teaching to some one else, of course things will be abused, and some one get's hurt .
People love to blame some one or something else for their own foolishness, going for the deep pocket lawsuit, and it's just plain wrong .
But that's the liberal for you. A person and lawyer will put a company out of business to satisfy their own greed, sherk personal responsibility and make every one else suffer .

I had knives and guns and a whole workshop growing up to work and play in since I was 7 . dad taught me the dangers and need to be safe and use the right PPEs while working .
I made a steak knife for my mom when I was 7-8 as well as other knives and things and dad gave me a gun when I was 12 .
No one was endangered in any way by me or the things I had .

Yes there were living examples of stupid that we knew growing up ,but I never felt compelled to be stupid too.

By the time I was 14 dad was letting me learn to drive and at 15 I was driving his 1 ton dump truck not yet even having a learning permit.
Never a collision nor even a scratch on any of his 15 different cars and trucks he had through the years ,no collisions of my own for that matter, and I'm 65.
However some of those early toy sets were dangerous regardless of personal responsibility. Some had radio active material. Some had lead that could lead to lead poisoning.

I know what you're saying about good parenting and responsibility. But the politically correct standards of today, many of the toys we once played with as kids are considered very dangerous and in some cases illegal today.

Old 02-27-2016, 07:59 AM

8,070 posts, read 12,784,000 times
Lawn darts seemed dangerous.

Old 02-27-2016, 08:07 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
I was driving my grandfathers tractor at 11 because he needed help on his farm and he taught me the right way to drive it and to be very careful and to shut it off properly too so no accidents were to be had . None of my older brothers or sister were home by then one was younger than me and he had to stay home and my older brothers and sisters had jobs so they had to go to them and grandpa asked me if I could help him and it was best time of my childhood and miss those two old people so much . Time crept up on them way too fast and much to our grief .the most dangerous toy would have had to be an air riffle and my mother did not like that too much so she hid it and I never did find it .

Old 02-27-2016, 08:25 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Probably my metal wheeled roller skates, the kind with a key that clamped onto your shoes. I loved them, and the thrill of going down steep streets. We had no safety equipment when I was a kid, just luck.

Old 02-27-2016, 08:44 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,868,319 times
Various XMAS and Birthday gifts I received as a kid included: A Chemistry set, a BB Gun, a .22 Rifle, 16,20 and 12 gauge shotguns and a bicycle. The worst injuries I received from any of these gifts: a skinned knee from a bicycle accident and a nasty paper cut from unwrapping a gift.

Old 02-27-2016, 10:03 AM

50 posts, read 47,693 times
I didn't get it....I always wanted an Easy Bake oven. I was told they were 'too dangerous'. Looking back, I can't recall ever hearing of a fire or some kid getting serious burns caused by an Easy Bake. I suspect the mess I probably would've made is the real reason.

Cap guns? I loved them. We didn't even need the gun; we were perfectly happy just popping the little paper strips between two rocks.
Also those little snapper things you throw, usually sold at the fireworks around July 4th. Fireworks! Now there's some dangerous 'toys'. Kids have free reign of them more than they should, and some adults are even more careless with them than kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting