Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2016, 09:15 PM

41 posts, read 57,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
It's unlikely. The Walmart by me has men and plenty of women stocking overnight.
Yeah at the wal mart she works at every time I have gone there late there are plenty of men and women. Her supervisor is a woman. She has said her Co workers are okay but everyone pretty much stays to themselves unless needed.

She still likes to complain but she is still doing it. She did complain last night when she was zoning her supervisor made her redo it twice for as she said "no reason".

She was working the aisles this time so she isn't in dairy 100% of the time. It's a really safe walk, from our apartment it's pretty much a straight walk to the end of our complex then you just turn right and it's right there, also there are lights all along the walk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 11:24 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,329,681 times
I've never heard of a retail job involving stocking that didn't state right on the application that the worker is expected to be able to lift 50 pounds. And stocking duties are part of almost all retail these days.

Even at large department stores, there are no dedicated stock people. The goods are unloaded from trucks at the dock. A dock worker usually brings them to the floor and puts them in the department where they are sold. The same people who clerk behind the counters have to open the boxes, put the stuff on display or in the stock rooms. Yes, it can be heavy, unpleasant work. I have shoulder problems that have never gone away since I developed them working in the china department of a Robinson-May store. Up and down a ladder constantly carrying big boxes of fine china or the even heavier stoneware or crystal. And I was far older than your daughter.

Targets, Walmarts, supermarkets, and some superstores do have stock people who work at night and they certainly sign a waiver that they have to be able to life 50 pounds. So if your daughter is complaining about 30 pounds it might actually get worse.

I know it's probably no comfort to you, but I know of a lot of parents who are in your shoes. High school grads who have no interest in college and just assume they will be supported by their parents forever. It's a difficult situation. At least you aren't providing a car or spending money for the cigarettes. I think I mentioned to you before that your daughter sounds like she might suffer from depression. Has she been tested by a qualified counselor?

The lack of ambition and failure to take pleasure from ordinary things in life are certainly signs of depression. Your daughter may have friends now but I doubt they will stick with her if she expects them to provide the rides and entertainment all the time. Does she have the illusion that she's going to get a spouse who will support her?

Good luck. I know it's hard to stick to the boundaries you set, but you're in the right. She can't spend the rest of her life not being self-sufficient.

Old 04-05-2016, 06:15 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,180,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I've never heard of a retail job involving stocking that didn't state right on the application that the worker is expected to be able to lift 50 pounds. And stocking duties are part of almost all retail these days.

Even at large department stores, there are no dedicated stock people. The goods are unloaded from trucks at the dock. A dock worker usually brings them to the floor and puts them in the department where they are sold. The same people who clerk behind the counters have to open the boxes, put the stuff on display or in the stock rooms. Yes, it can be heavy, unpleasant work. I have shoulder problems that have never gone away since I developed them working in the china department of a Robinson-May store. Up and down a ladder constantly carrying big boxes of fine china or the even heavier stoneware or crystal. And I was far older than your daughter.

Targets, Walmarts, supermarkets, and some superstores do have stock people who work at night and they certainly sign a waiver that they have to be able to life 50 pounds. So if your daughter is complaining about 30 pounds it might actually get worse.

I know it's probably no comfort to you, but I know of a lot of parents who are in your shoes. High school grads who have no interest in college and just assume they will be supported by their parents forever. It's a difficult situation. At least you aren't providing a car or spending money for the cigarettes. I think I mentioned to you before that your daughter sounds like she might suffer from depression. Has she been tested by a qualified counselor?

The lack of ambition and failure to take pleasure from ordinary things in life are certainly signs of depression. Your daughter may have friends now but I doubt they will stick with her if she expects them to provide the rides and entertainment all the time. Does she have the illusion that she's going to get a spouse who will support her?

Good luck. I know it's hard to stick to the boundaries you set, but you're in the right. She can't spend the rest of her life not being self-sufficient.

Excellent post.

I am a retired teacher. Every employee in my former school district, teachers, secretaries, janitors, computer experts, principals, etc. have to prove that they can lift 50 pounds at their pre-employment physical. While, except for staff in the special education department, we do not often lift 50 pounds we are required to be able to do it. This has been a requirement for at least the last 15 to 20 years.

Old 04-05-2016, 06:23 AM

484 posts, read 561,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilightnight View Post
For the record she has graduated high school but hasn't shown interest in college despite my pleas. She got this job only after I had a talk with her telling her I would not support her anymore. She also smokes which I did not buy but she has friends that take her places and gets her cigarettes.

This job is part time and she gets $9.50 an hour.
Stick with this -- and in 6 months, sit down and talk to her about paying rent, utilities, credit score, etc. When I was 19, my parents stopped supporting me -- and I was in college full time, paying out of state tuition. When you've graduated high school it's time to start learning about the cost of an apartment, living expenses, etc. Which often leads to an increased interest in college, trade school or some other means of getting saleable skills that could support a person.

Good for you in putting your foot down and insisting on her getting a job -- doesn't take long to figure out that the advancement in pay is much slower with just a high school diploma.

Old 04-06-2016, 10:40 AM

38 posts, read 25,968 times
my son 20 yo, is a baggage handler and aircraft servicer for United at the Newark airport. In heat, rain, snow, and who knows what else, he loads bags and cargo, fills planes with potable water, and pushes them back repeatedly. He's been working there for a year now and makes $11.97 an hour. At the 15 year seniority mark he will be up to $25 an hour. And free standby flights...I always love when I go onto Facebook and randomly see "Having lunch in London, see everyone at work on Friday!" The job application said "minimum requirements: High School Diploma", he applied the day after graduation and a few weeks later got an email inviting him to interview.

I am perfectly happy for him. He is very happy for himself as well. I don't care one bit that he didn't go to college.

Old 04-06-2016, 10:45 AM

26,701 posts, read 41,775,771 times
Quote:
My 19 year old daughter got a job as an over night stocker at a wal mart neighborhood market. She works from 10 PM to 7 AM. She doesn't have a car or her license mainly because she has said she is too nervous to drive. Fortunately her job is only about a 10 minute walk and I know she does a lot more walking at the mall.

Anyway after her first night she came home crying complaining that she hates the walk and that she was working in dairy where she had to lift boxes she said were about 20-30 lbs. She went and took a shower and posted on her Facebook (I know it may seem weird for a parent to check their kids fb and I usually don't much but do believe it can be insightful) and she posted "gonna go sit in the shower and die". Then replied to some friends about how difficult the job is and how tired she is and she hates it.

To those probably wondering this isn't her first job but it is the first real job with a paycheck. Anyway I realize young people being lazy isn't really new but should I try to talk to her and tell her the usual "you're an adult and need to work and pay your own way just stick it out" or remain silent and just wait and see if she gets used to it.
This is really a lesson she will learn herself soon enough. You have to pay dues to get a decent job down the line and your best chance at a decent job is with education or trade school.

Old 04-06-2016, 12:46 PM

774 posts, read 746,203 times
What I don't understand after reading all these posts is why you aren't making her get a full-time job? She's an adult with no plans for the future. If she's not in school she will need to secure health insurance.

Old 04-06-2016, 07:31 PM

38 posts, read 25,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtutmummy View Post
my son 20 yo, is a baggage handler and aircraft servicer for United at the Newark airport. In heat, rain, snow, and who knows what else, he loads bags and cargo, fills planes with potable water, and pushes them back repeatedly. He's been working there for a year now and makes $11.97 an hour. At the 15 year seniority mark he will be up to $25 an hour. And free standby flights...I always love when I go onto Facebook and randomly see "Having lunch in London, see everyone at work on Friday!" The job application said "minimum requirements: High School Diploma", he applied the day after graduation and a few weeks later got an email inviting him to interview.

I am perfectly happy for him. He is very happy for himself as well. I don't care one bit that he didn't go to college.
to the person who anon repped me saying "Your son is happy about making 52k in 15 years?" yes he is. he has seen more of the world than most people have in their lifetime and only has to pay taxes when flying internationally, most of the time in first class to boot. Domestic is free. better than all the kids who were tricked into going to college and taking out loans they couldn't afford for ultimately nonexistent jobs , which, according to him, has happened to many of his friends. im also glad my son is out learning about foreign cultures instead of boozing it at a frat or any other dangerous and undesirable things happening daily at college campuses.

believe it or not, some people don't want to chase the almighty dollar!!!!!!!!!!:thi nk:

Old 04-07-2016, 12:28 AM

41 posts, read 57,346 times
So daughter has been working but complains still. They are going to train her to do casheiring but as she put it she hates that it is more for her to do. She has also said her supervisor keeps making her do more unreasonable demands and she is not happy.

I have talked to her about college but she says she hates school (she didn't do well in school and has a 2.5 gpa) and doesn't want to spend thousands for something useless.

Old 04-07-2016, 07:22 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,912,594 times
Quote:
So daughter has been working but complains still. They are going to train her to do casheiring but as she put it she hates that it is more for her to do. She has also said her supervisor keeps making her do more unreasonable demands and she is not happy.

I have talked to her about college but she says she hates school (she didn't do well in school and has a 2.5 gpa) and doesn't want to spend thousands for something useless.
LOL "more for her to do".

Some people have ambition and want to learn as much as possible and others not. Or they're too immature to see that these are opportunities. Hell, even grown middle aged people say that stuff.

Everything she does will teach her something even though she doesn't realize it.

She's probably partly influenced by all the people who mock being a Walmart worker etc, too.

They are either offering to give her additional training because she is CAPABLE or because she is not cutting it as stock clerk but I HIGHLY DOUBT they'd put her dealing with the public if she were being annoying or rude. Even if they're short cashiers and desperate, they're not going to put her on MONEY ....or they're testing her to fire her. But that's not really a typical trick and they are always needing capable employees.

There are other alternatives to college like a trade. But some people just don't have passion for something or it takes awhile.

Personally, I think stock is MUCH easier than cashier. Cashier is very demanding that you don't screw up the money and pay attention to your drawer. Not to mention the customer interface and the BAGGING etc. BUT she really needs to consider that the more she knows the more valuable she is HERE and OTHER jobs.

Some people make CAREERS in different retail corporations. I fail to understand why the PUBLIC puts them down. But that's our wannabe elitist society I guess.

When I worked cashier overnight at the grocery job for 3 months it was because I wanted a small income OVERNIGHT because my BF was in ICU and I wanted to be available during the day. AND my mom was in a nursing home dying.

I can't even tell you the STUPID RUDE comments I got from customers.

"Maybe if you go back to school you can get some skills and make something of yourself."

Meanwhile I HAD college and owned a store that I had just closed and was a corporate exec for 20 years before that. Making $88K in 1988 LOL. The other FUNNY thing is that job paid WELL. I was making $12.35 per hour entry level, a differential for overnight shift, and after 3 months would have gotten full benefits AND was getting all the overtime I wanted to help stock when my register shift was over. That was in 1998!

My son's GF worked for Whole Foods but her dream was to be a baker. They finally made a spot for her in bakery after making her be a cashier for 6 months which she HATED because she is very shy and quiet. But now she has her own baking business on the side.

But you need to have an interest in something or yeah, just work for the pay which is not all that unusual.

Does she have any other interests like doing hair? Or being on the computer - she could do data entry. Or even say, fashion? She could take SEWING lessons and do alterations for people. She could sew/make stuff to sell on Etsy or Ebay.

I'm not saying they are big career money earners, but maybe something that would spark an interest in actually working and enjoying it.

There are other jobs like trade but for white collar. In growing industries like Medical Billing. It happens to be a big thing and you need training for that, too.

Or does she wanna stay home and watch TV all the time and party?

Last edited by runswithscissors; 04-07-2016 at 07:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting