Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 08:37 PM

480 posts, read 668,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromCTtoFL View Post
We recently moved into a new home with our daughter who turned 3 in January. Do you think we still need to put the little plastic inserts into the electrical outlets? My husband thinks it was more of an issue when she was a crawling infant & eye level with the outlets. I think now that she is more active and exploring more (without constant supervision) we still need to use the covers. Thoughts? Also, what other child-proofing should we be doing at this age? Thanks in advance!
We don't know your child. They might not be curious about electrical outlets. Or they might be curious about those kinds of things. They probably won't try to stick their fingers in them (I don't think they can hurt themselves that way in the first place) but they might want to plug in electrical things into wall sockets. or they might try sticking forks into them.

You aren't going to hurt anything by using the outlets covers. They are simple to remove should you need to plug something in.

On the other hand, the chance that they'll be injured by outlets at 3.5 is small, and there are more important safety concerns to worry about at that age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2016, 05:40 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Outlet covers are cheap and easy...and the ones that are on the perimeter of the house even help as insulation to cut down on drafts! Don't be so fast to give up all this stuff.

Old 05-04-2016, 07:44 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,614,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromCTtoFL View Post
We recently moved into a new home with our daughter who turned 3 in January. Do you think we still need to put the little plastic inserts into the electrical outlets? My husband thinks it was more of an issue when she was a crawling infant & eye level with the outlets. I think now that she is more active and exploring more (without constant supervision) we still need to use the covers. Thoughts? Also, what other child-proofing should we be doing at this age? Thanks in advance!
I sometimes wonder how I survived being a child. Back in my day, nobody knew what 'baby proofing' was - let alone did it. Heck I drank out of the outside hose in the summer time. I rode my bike without a helmet - I rode a skateboard without one too... I ran with a stick in my hand and didn't poke my eye out - I fell in the house and hit my head on the corner of the table (that wasn't made of particle board).

I climbed trees, disrupted bee hives, and did a lot more 'dangerous' stuff but I still survived.. I'm wondering how on earth THAT happened....

Old 05-04-2016, 08:15 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times
Semi-OT... When i was getting/had my FosterCare Licence one of the things on the check-list the social worker had verify on Home Safety Inspections was covered Outlets.

I was fostering Middle & HS aged boys.

I would look at her and say @ 11-18yo I would hope they know not to put a fork into outlet.

Old 05-04-2016, 08:15 AM

499 posts, read 586,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumf View Post
I sometimes wonder how I survived being a child. Back in my day, nobody knew what 'baby proofing' was - let alone did it. Heck I drank out of the outside hose in the summer time. I rode my bike without a helmet - I rode a skateboard without one too... I ran with a stick in my hand and didn't poke my eye out - I fell in the house and hit my head on the corner of the table (that wasn't made of particle board).

I climbed trees, disrupted bee hives, and did a lot more 'dangerous' stuff but I still survived.. I'm wondering how on earth THAT happened....
Same here! We did all that and much worse back in the late 70's/early 80's but even back then, we DID have outlet covers.

Old 05-04-2016, 08:46 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:

But, the point is that some children did die. In fact, many more children did die or were injured.

I survived unscathed too, but I knew others that did not.

My 9 year old cousin, drowned in a stream, in front of all of his siblings when they were walking home from school. Someone threw his notebook in the water (as a joke) and he jumped in to get it and no one knew how to swim.

Another cousin suffered permanent brain damage after hiding in an old refrigerator while playing Hide & Go Seek with his siblings & kids in the neighborhood.

A neighbor (age ten) was paralyzed from the waist down after falling from a tree.

Another neighbor (about 12) drowned in a stream while swimming with his buddies.

Are some parents too over protective? Heck, yes! But, there should be a happy medium.

Old 05-04-2016, 09:02 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,513,219 times
When we bought out house, a lot of the receptacles were painted over, so I needed to change them out anyway. I installed the tamper proof variety everywhere.

Old 05-04-2016, 10:00 AM

2,454 posts, read 3,217,413 times
Quote:
The grace of God...

Old 05-04-2016, 10:39 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,392,322 times
I've had kindergarten students stick paper clips in the outlet. Yes, they got shocked and there were scorch marks on the wall. Kids are kooky sometimes.

It just depends on your child. My child wouldn't have needed the covers at age 3, but some kids might.

Old 05-04-2016, 10:59 AM

2,547 posts, read 4,229,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
But, the point is that some children did die. In fact, many more children did die or were injured.

I survived unscathed too, but I knew others that did not.

My 9 year old cousin, drowned in a stream, in front of all of his siblings when they were walking home from school. Someone threw his notebook in the water (as a joke) and he jumped in to get it and no one knew how to swim.

Another cousin suffered permanent brain damage after hiding in an old refrigerator while playing Hide & Go Seek with his siblings & kids in the neighborhood.

A neighbor (age ten) was paralyzed from the waist down after falling from a tree.

Another neighbor (about 12) drowned in a stream while swimming with his buddies.

Are some parents too over protective? Heck, yes! But, there should be a happy medium.
Exactly. I "love" all those condescending posts about the good old days...point is kids who didn't survive their childhood aren't on here writing about it. It's easy to wave it off as "$hit happens' - until it's your child that it happens to
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting