Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 06:46 PM

499 posts, read 586,438 times

Advertisements

We recently moved into a new home with our daughter who turned 3 in January. Do you think we still need to put the little plastic inserts into the electrical outlets? My husband thinks it was more of an issue when she was a crawling infant & eye level with the outlets. I think now that she is more active and exploring more (without constant supervision) we still need to use the covers. Thoughts? Also, what other child-proofing should we be doing at this age? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 07:05 PM

772 posts, read 1,060,254 times
I'm a big fan of baby proofing and did all that through 2 houses when my kids were infants and toddlers. We moved to current house about when my youngest was just about 2 years and he was walking and talking and I didn't think we needed to baby proof so we didn't. My only fear then was that up until then, kiddos have never lived in a house with stairs.. Always single level so spent d next few weeks searching for the right baby gate for the top of the stairs (was afraid for when he woke at night) and then watching him like an eagle learning to use the stairs.. Fell a few times but by the end of the week, he was a pro navigating the stairs with his older siblings. The baby gate stayed though..

Anyway, long way of saying that I don't think you need to baby proof for an almost 3.5 yr old neuro typical child.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:18 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times
I am not big on baby proofing. My kids were always around me...not because I made them but because they followed me. If there was a play area where the kid plays when you are busy, maybe baby proof that area. I personally wouldn't baby proof much at this age (well, the flat screen, the pool, stuff that really too often kills)

Old 05-03-2016, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I am not big on baby proofing. My kids were always around me...not because I made them but because they followed me. If there was a play area where the kid plays when you are busy, maybe baby proof that area. I personally wouldn't baby proof much at this age (well, the flat screen, the pool, stuff that really too often kills)

Now you've got me thinking.. How does a flat screen kill.. I get the pool..

Old 05-03-2016, 07:24 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COCUE View Post
Now you've got me thinking.. How does a flat screen kill.. I get the pool..
Flat Screen fall off table and crushes them.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:26 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Flat Screen fall off table and crushes them.
Yeah if they are sitting on something a kid can pull them over very easily and they can cause serious damage and even kill. I saw a demo on how easy it is to topple, even a small toddler can do it. I know someone who lost a child to a flat screen tipping . You can hang it with a kit (a burglar really tried to get ours off the wall...looks like they even hung from it and it didn't budge) or use a strap tool to keep it from falling.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:36 PM

499 posts, read 586,438 times
Yes - Flat screen TVs falling onto children has become a big problem in recent years. Definitely buy a safety strap to anchor the TV to a stand or heavy base. Falling TVs send a child to the ER every 30 minutes - TODAY.com

Also be cautious of "cheap" and/or lightweight dressers. Was just reading a story about this the other day:
IKEA advises parents to secure furniture after third child crushed by dresser

Old 05-03-2016, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Omg.. I never knew this but can totally see how that would happen. I really do appreciate this forum as I learn something new every day.. We only have 2 flat screens TVs in our house in the living areas and had them professionally mounted not because of safety but because DH is so not handy. Now am so glad we did that because my son for sure I can see him trying to pull something like that down

Thank you ladies!

Old 05-03-2016, 08:18 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
The way I looked at it ... It doesn't hurt anything to baby proof, and it may save them from harm.

Toddlers are more mobile and more exploratory than infants and can't be watched EVERY second.

I never wanted to be that mom standing there telling a paramedic, "I only left the room for a minute...."

Old 05-03-2016, 08:19 PM

1,951 posts, read 1,636,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromCTtoFL View Post
We recently moved into a new home with our daughter who turned 3 in January. Do you think we still need to put the little plastic inserts into the electrical outlets? My husband thinks it was more of an issue when she was a crawling infant & eye level with the outlets. I think now that she is more active and exploring more (without constant supervision) we still need to use the covers. Thoughts? Also, what other child-proofing should we be doing at this age? Thanks in advance!
If it helps for your peace of mind, go for it. Our daughter never really went for the outlets (she's the exact age yours is, down to the month). Every once in awhile she'll go try to unplug the vacuum cleaner when we're done, but that's to help, not see what fits!

Our 1yo son, on the other hand, makes a beeline for all things electric. It's nice that we don't have to re-babyproof the outlets. It really depends on the kid (or kids if more are in your future).

We use these, they're nice because you don't have to fuss with the plastic caps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting