Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 02:58 PM

912 posts, read 1,529,357 times

Advertisements

If mom and kid work together, there's a decent chance mom knows more than kid thinks (or at least suspects - denial can be a powerful thing).

Unless you happen to bear direct witness to drinking/drug usage, stay far clear of this. If Mom really doesn't know and/or is in denial, she's not going to want to hear it from you - and what if it turns out to be untrue?

In any case, you're going to look like a nosy busybody at best, and a lying gossiper at worst. Stay away from it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 06:00 AM

143 posts, read 246,815 times
Thanks to many of you for the helpful answers. To clarify a couple things, the coworker is 18, (but lives at home and still has all her basic needs met by her parents), while her brother who engages in the alleged activity with her just turned 16. I also don't agree that it is not my business, as the information was furnished to me (completely unsolicited by myself), at which time it became my business (and, of course, would certainly be the business of the children's mother). However, I am going to wait for anything more substantial than what I have been told by a third party. I would rather not worry the mother and upset a family's harmony, as well as the harmony between myself and my coworkers (which happens to be very good), all based on what I only presently know to be a rumor.

Old 05-20-2016, 12:36 PM

8,284 posts, read 8,690,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisorthat View Post
Thanks to many of you for the helpful answers. To clarify a couple things, the coworker is 18, (but lives at home and still has all her basic needs met by her parents), while her brother who engages in the alleged activity with her just turned 16. I also don't agree that it is not my business, as the information was furnished to me (completely unsolicited by myself), at which time it became my business (and, of course, would certainly be the business of the children's mother). However, I am going to wait for anything more substantial than what I have been told by a third party. I would rather not worry the mother and upset a family's harmony, as well as the harmony between myself and my coworkers (which happens to be very good), all based on what I only presently know to be a rumor.
So you were the tattletale in school? Did you ask if you could take names when the teacher left the room?

Most teenagers drink and smoke pot at one time or another. I did and everyone I know did. That was 40+ years ago but I don't think things have changed that much. If you tell on them you risk getting your ass kicked and maybe you should for telling on someone that is doing what is normal behavior for most people at that age.

Old 05-22-2016, 07:48 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,966,390 times
Quote:
Just because someone shares some gossip with you, that does not make it your business.

Old 05-22-2016, 08:46 AM

6,738 posts, read 2,921,328 times
Quote:
Thanks to many of you for the helpful answers. To clarify a couple things, the coworker is 18, (but lives at home and still has all her basic needs met by her parents), while her brother who engages in the alleged activity with her just turned 16.
I also don't agree that it is not my business, as the information was furnished to me (completely unsolicited by myself), at which time it became my business (and, of course, would certainly be the business of the children's mother).
However, I am going to wait for anything more substantial than what I have been told by a third party. I would rather not worry the mother and upset a family's harmony, as well as the harmony between myself and my coworkers (which happens to be very good), all based on what I only presently know to be a rumor.
Listening to and hearing unfounded gossip does NOT make it your business, no matter what you think..! Period..!!
Repeating unfounded gossip is even worse than listening to it. You're trying hard to be a hero, and what you will do if you say anything, is to make sure all involved will hate you. If your goal is to stir up a real mess and be right is the middle of it, go tell mom right away.. No one like a nosy neighbor.
Your work days will not be so pleasant once you stir the pot and everyone turns against you...

Old 05-22-2016, 08:50 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,683,411 times
Quote:
So, I'm in a bit of a pickle and need some advice. I work at at job where I have several coworkers. Recently, I was told by Coworker A that Coworker B (a teenager), and her even younger teenage brother, smoke marijuana and drink alcohol behind their mother's back (their mother happens to be Coworker C. So, mother and daughter work at the same job with me). Coworker A told me Coworker B told her this, and that is how she knows.

Do I tell Coworker C about this, considering alcohol poisoning, drunk driving, and marijuana laced with harder drugs are all possible dangerous consequences? Coworker A (who is a teenager, herself) does not want to "snitch" to Coworker C. Or should I keep my mouth shut since I heard this secondhand? Do I have a duty to tell Coworker C, if I think it even might be true, and let Coworker C get to the bottom of things with her own children? Coworker C has no clue about any of this and even talks about how good her kids are and that she's thankful they are not into stuff like drugs and alcohol!!! I realize that, if I divulge what I was told to Coworker C, Coworkers A and B will probably know it was I who told her, and will both be angry with me...

Help!!! TIA!!!
Unless you see it for yourself, you are only passing on hearsay.
Even then, is it really any of your business?

Old 05-22-2016, 09:21 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,786,329 times
Quote:
I also don't agree that it is not my business, as the information was furnished to me (completely unsolicited by myself), at which time it became my business (and, of course, would certainly be the business of the children's mother). However, I am going to wait for anything more substantial than what I have been told by a third party.
Ummmm.....no. Just because you were told some juicy information about someone does NOT make it "your business"!! Good grief! Do you really believe it does?!? No, no, and just no.

You were told some gossip. May be true. Might not be true. You don't know.

As previously asked, were you the tattler in school? Now the tattler at work?

Old 05-22-2016, 09:23 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,349,210 times
Quote:
So, I'm in a bit of a pickle and need some advice. I work at at job where I have several coworkers. Recently, I was told by Coworker A that Coworker B (a teenager), and her even younger teenage brother, smoke marijuana and drink alcohol behind their mother's back (their mother happens to be Coworker C. So, mother and daughter work at the same job with me). Coworker A told me Coworker B told her this, and that is how she knows.

Do I tell Coworker C about this, considering alcohol poisoning, drunk driving, and marijuana laced with harder drugs are all possible dangerous consequences? Coworker A (who is a teenager, herself) does not want to "snitch" to Coworker C. Or should I keep my mouth shut since I heard this secondhand? Do I have a duty to tell Coworker C, if I think it even might be true, and let Coworker C get to the bottom of things with her own children? Coworker C has no clue about any of this and even talks about how good her kids are and that she's thankful they are not into stuff like drugs and alcohol!!! I realize that, if I divulge what I was told to Coworker C, Coworkers A and B will probably know it was I who told her, and will both be angry with me...

Help!!! TIA!!!
It would be best to tell your co-workers to quit spreading gossip about another co-worker and walk away from them when the conversation goes in that direction.

Old 06-01-2016, 07:57 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,268,829 times
Quote:
I'd let my friend, including her kids know this rumor is making the rounds. Tell all 3 of them together. Then let them deal with it.
If its true, you did all of them a favor and things will change.
If it isn't true, you alerted your friend to malicious gossip that she can address.
Not saying anything if she is your friend is wrong imo.

Old 06-01-2016, 11:06 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,589,910 times
Tell A to stop gossiping.

Tell B and/or brother that this info is going around (no need to name the informant), and it's only a matter of time before mama hears about it.

Leave it at that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting