Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 02:05 AM

9,016 posts, read 13,860,864 times

Advertisements

My single Mom cousin has her own business and works extra long hours,so she cannot do the usual teenage ride around town thing.
My cousin wants to allow her 15 yr old daughter to ride Uber to and from the movies on weekends.
The daughter will be with her teen girl friends,none of who are adults.

I took taxis to get to places at 15......do you think Uber would be any different?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 02:36 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,516,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
My single Mom cousin has her own business and works extra long hours,so she cannot do the usual teenage ride around town thing.
My cousin wants to allow her 15 yr old daughter to ride Uber to and from the movies on weekends.
The daughter will be with her teen girl friends,none of who are adults.

I took taxis to get to places at 15......do you think Uber would be any different?
Though I know some folks who sent Uber for teens from time to time, I looked it up and riders are supposed to be 18 and up. Editing to say that I was looking it up for my then under 18 kid. Kid is now 18 and Uber has been wonderful as she doesn't drive. But passengers are supposed to be 18 and up.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:13 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,751,772 times
Uber does not do any background checks so you could be driven by a convicted criminal more likely than a commercial cab company that fingerprints and does criminal check required by law to have a commercial license. So definitely not any of the non-commercial license companies like Uber or Lyft that are nothing but your neighbors driving you. I've taken Uber a few times and often do not like the drivers because they are worst than real cab drivers and I drive way better than them.

Old 05-24-2016, 12:37 PM

13,982 posts, read 25,987,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Uber does not do any background checks so you could be driven by a convicted criminal more likely than a commercial cab company that fingerprints and does criminal check required by law to have a commercial license. So definitely not any of the non-commercial license companies like Uber or Lyft that are nothing but your neighbors driving you. I've taken Uber a few times and often do not like the drivers because they are worst than real cab drivers and I drive way better than them.
Uber does vet their drivers, they just don't do fingerprint checks. My kids use it all the time without any problem. However, they are not minors, so whether or not Uber is safe is moot if they only drive 18+ fares.

Old 05-24-2016, 01:07 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,506,406 times
You have to be 18 now, it's a recent change.

My dad's company had an account with a taxi service when I was a kid and my siblings and I used them from middle school on often. Never had an issue.

Old 05-24-2016, 03:44 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,593,606 times
Absolutely not!!

Old 05-24-2016, 04:05 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,449,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Uber does do background checks. In my area, their criteria for drivers is more stringent than the cab companies. Just because the cab companies do background checks doesn't mean they deny employment to people with criminal histories. They just know what crimes they have committed before they hire them.

Last edited by CarnivalGal; 05-24-2016 at 05:21 PM..

Old 05-24-2016, 04:17 PM

16,559 posts, read 19,748,805 times
I've Uber'ed so many times it would make your head spin. I'll never take a cab again.
At least in my area, the Uber drivers at least speak good English. Not do taxi drivers. The last one I had was a mom of 3 making extra money in her downtime.
Uber rocks.

Old 05-24-2016, 06:26 PM

6,886 posts, read 7,908,988 times
My daughter's peers seem to use Uber a lot. I don't know if/how the parents vet the drivers. I personally would rather have my kids take a taxi. I've had nothing but excellent taxi service in my city. When you get into a taxi, you can snap a copy of the license with your phone and send it to someone so they'll know where you are.

I don't think Uber itself is inherently more dangerous, but I don't know what, if any, ID they display. I also don't feel good about them putting hardworking taxi drivers out of business, either.

Old 05-24-2016, 07:45 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,751,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Uber does vet their drivers, they just don't do fingerprint checks. My kids use it all the time without any problem. However, they are not minors, so whether or not Uber is safe is moot if they only drive 18+ fares.
Uber Settles Driver Background-Check Case for at Least $10M - NBC News

April 8, 2016 - "San Francisco and Los Angeles prosecutors sued in 2014, saying Uber's background checks were inferior to what taxi drivers undergo because they did not include fingerprint checks for past convictions. Instead, Uber's process relies on a name search of other criminal databases and motor vehicle department files going back seven years."

Doesn't sound very reassuring. That's why the killer who picked up people was able to get through Uber but there's no way he could work for a cab company.

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/3...th-sex-assault

April 20, 2016 - "Luke Wadahara, 24, was charged with first-degree sex assault, which connotes forceful penetration.

Wadahara was arrested early Sunday, after the victim alleged she had been sexually assaulted during an Uber ride on Saturday night.

Sources said the victim is a 16-year-old girl. "

https://www.rt.com/news/334940-uber-...xual-assaults/

March 9, 2016

Uber confirms 175 sexual assault claims against drivers amid accusations of thousands

If you guys want to send you 15 yr old daughter to use Uber, go ahead.

Last edited by vision33r; 05-24-2016 at 08:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting