Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 07:46 AM

20,549 posts, read 17,802,095 times

Advertisements

The reason a cab is safer not because of their background checks. Because many drivers do this for a living, they don't want to get in trouble and lose their job or license their only source of income. Uber drivers most are driving part-time so it can be a hobby for some so the risk of them losing their Uber privilege is not such a big deal if they get caught trying to hook up with a passenger.

And lots of Uber guys will brag about trying to hook up with a cute passenger they met as a informal way of meeting chicks.

I'm not gonna take any chances being in NYC for all of my life, there are lots of great people but lots of criminals especially the opportunist ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2016, 08:40 AM

13,981 posts, read 26,017,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
The reason a cab is safer not because of their background checks. Because many drivers do this for a living, they don't want to get in trouble and lose their job or license their only source of income. Uber drivers most are driving part-time so it can be a hobby for some so the risk of them losing their Uber privilege is not such a big deal if they get caught trying to hook up with a passenger.

And lots of Uber guys will brag about trying to hook up with a cute passenger they met as a informal way of meeting chicks.

I'm not gonna take any chances being in NYC for all of my life, there are lots of great people but lots of criminals especially the opportunist ones.
And many Uber drivers are also doing it for a living, and making more money on average than cab drivers.

You're painting with a very broad brush. These are the Uber driver stats:
https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/242096

In most parts of the country, cabs can't be hailed on every corner. I've never even seen one in my town, although I have seen limousines doing airport runs. So while you may be able to go through life never using the Uber service, it will continue to succeed because it's cheap, readily available, and not nearly as risky as you make it out to be.

Old 05-25-2016, 09:26 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,576,295 times
Would not.

Old 05-25-2016, 10:20 AM

4,481 posts, read 3,656,790 times
If she was riding with a group of friends, I'd let her use Uber. By herself, if she had a can of pepper spray, her cell phone and "date" fork, I would consider it. I've run into some pretty unsettling taxicab drivers in the past and I've not had that experience when I've had to use Uber when traveling for business.

Old 05-25-2016, 12:00 PM

486 posts, read 834,052 times
I would ride my bike all over town at 10 years old. I don't see the big deal in taking a taxi cab or uber at 15 year old.

Old 05-25-2016, 05:09 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,288,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
My single Mom cousin has her own business and works extra long hours,so she cannot do the usual teenage ride around town thing.
My cousin wants to allow her 15 yr old daughter to ride Uber to and from the movies on weekends.
The daughter will be with her teen girl friends,none of who are adults.

I took taxis to get to places at 15......do you think Uber would be any different?
I think it depends on what area of the country you're in. L.A. vs small town.

Personally I wouldn't want to put my teen into the hands of strangers. Are there any relatives to help.

Old 05-25-2016, 06:46 PM

1,173 posts, read 2,269,086 times
Uber isn't the same as using a taxi.

I wouldn't put my kids in an Uber.

Alley

Old 05-25-2016, 07:43 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,556,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I think it depends on what area of the country you're in. L.A. vs small town.

Personally I wouldn't want to put my teen into the hands of strangers. Are there any relatives to help.
Funny. You must live in a small town.

I grew up in a large, east coast city. People send their 9 year olds to school on regular public transportation.

Old 05-25-2016, 08:41 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,585,598 times
With a .50 cal pistol, maybe.

Old 05-25-2016, 09:54 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,357,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
My cousin's 15 yr old has her own cell phone and debit card,so i do not see how UBER cannot accept a fare from a 15 yr old.
Well, if she did that, in violation of Uber's rules, I guess she will have a somewhat harder time suing them when she is molested. She wasn't supposed to be there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting