Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 03:05 PM

195 posts, read 231,263 times

Advertisements

What age do you move a two year old from the crib to a toddler bed? I prefer keeping her in the crib because she moves around alot while she sleeps. But, her pediatrician told me today that it was time to switch her. I would rather wait until she's closer to three. Tell me what you did with your kids....Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 03:20 PM

311 posts, read 1,377,086 times
We actually moved our daughter to a bed soon after she turned 2. It was getting to the point where she did not want the crib any longer and would start crying and trying to get out. I think she felt confined. We set up a bed with the wall on one side and a guard rail on the other. The first night she loved it, so we have kept her there ever since.

Old 08-28-2007, 03:30 PM

180 posts, read 957,515 times
I switched mine when they started trying to climb out of the crib. I did it with their safety in mind. I guess they were about 2 or 3 years old.

My oldest was so in love with his "big boy" bed!
My daughter was a little more reluctant but she was the worst climber so it was a necessary ajdustment for her.
My youngest was also thrilled with his new bed and the "growed up" pillows.

Good luck to you!

Old 08-28-2007, 06:25 PM

402 posts, read 2,211,456 times
We moved our son to the toddler bed when he was 21 mos, because his sister was born (kicked out!). We moved our daughter out around 2 years because we were afraid she'd climb out.

I've known some parents to keep their children in them til 3, I guess that would be a lot easier! can't walk out in the hallway!!

Old 08-28-2007, 06:38 PM

1,439 posts, read 3,885,467 times
Our 17 month old is now in a toddler bed because she started climbing out of her crib a month ago. I was PLANNING on waiting until she climbed out, hoping between 2-3 but she had other plans! It has been good, except sometimes we find her asleep on the floor!

Old 08-28-2007, 06:39 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,191,100 times
We moved out eldest out of his crib when he was about 2years 9 months. I know because we needed to crib for his baby brother. No problem.

Old 08-28-2007, 07:12 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,986,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2kidsmom View Post
What age do you move a two year old from the crib to a toddler bed? I prefer keeping her in the crib because she moves around alot while she sleeps. But, her pediatrician told me today that it was time to switch her. I would rather wait until she's closer to three. Tell me what you did with your kids....Thanks!
We moved our son out when he was ~24 months because he successfully climbed out once. In retrospect, it was too early. We had several nights of him trying to crawl into bed to sleep with us instead of his own bed (and a few where he did so successfully while my wife and I were asleep). He was an agreeable and cuddly guy, but it was just too early to move him (we battled all sorts of excuses to get him down despite his usually easy going nature). Our daughter is now ~26 months of age, and she has already demonstrated ability to climb out more than once, but her temperment (very strong willed, and argumentative in nature --- let's call her "very spirited") makes it so we definitely want to hold off on giving her much freedom of choice. Fortunately, when the room is dark at night, she stays in her crib (I saw her climb out to retrieve something the other night and she was pretty upset, but I was there in a min to help her when I heard her cry - she only climbed out because she felt desperate). I just think she needs a bit more emotional maturity before we move her to a toddler bed situation. Honestly, I'm not looking forward to the battles she will likely initiate trying to leave her room over and over again.

As you can tell from the responses to this thread, mileage varies tremendously child to child. I'm a bit surprised your pediatrician chimed in the way they did about it being time. My first thought is who are they to make that judgement call? With what information? I guess I'm just skeptical that any outsider could tell me what is best for similar situation for my children - even a pediatrician.

Old 08-28-2007, 07:30 PM

1,261 posts, read 6,106,823 times
I thought I was going to have to move my toddler out of the crib because she climbed out of the crib twice. The second time must have scared her because she never attempted it again. My plan is to transition her to a toddler bed when she is potty trained. She still sleeps and naps well in her crib so I don't see why I need to do it any sooner.

Old 08-28-2007, 07:35 PM

16,489 posts, read 24,487,638 times
We kept all of our children in a crib until at least 3. None of them climbed out and that was the safest place they could be. They were contained so they would not roam around at night when you might not hear them.

Old 08-28-2007, 07:45 PM

673 posts, read 3,146,601 times
My daughter is 2 and we are keeping her in the crib for now. She LOVES it and loves to go to sleep (Thank You God!). She actually tries to climb IN her crib. We plan on changing her to a big girl bed probably around Christmas or a around her 3rd birthday. The only reason we will have to change her is because she is getting too big for her crib. If she's happy then I 'm happy. Although I already bought the bedding for her new crib. Its Hello Kitty and you can hardly find it anymore and its so pretty!

Now on the other hand I just had a friend move her little girl who is the same age to a daybed. Her daughter climbed out of the crib for the first time yesterday and even showed her how she did it! They said it was a broken arm waiting to happen so they went ahead and made her bed into a daybed. I'll find out tomorrow how that went.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting