Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 01:00 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,386,686 times

Advertisements

Yes, it is worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2017, 12:58 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,644,793 times
Certainly doesn't hurt to try. They may forget a lot, but they'll remember some. But it's better than NOT hearing it at all. Maybe repetition will help them remember.

Old 05-11-2017, 01:29 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,667,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by visitingthisplanet View Post
I have two respectful and decent kids, but I can tell that when I try to give them advice on "life" now, it basically goes in one ear and out the other. I'm sure I did the same thing at their age. Is it still worth telling them your thoughts on things like choosing a college major, money management, what to look for in a prospective spouse, the working world, etc., or do they just need to figure things out for themselves?

Second question: in your own experience, did your kids return back to where you live when they were done with school, or move elsewhere? (say, more than a day's drive away) How much do you see them once they're out on their own, working, and are you happy with this amount of contact?
No, it just SEEMS like it goes in one ear and out the other. It's getting processed on some level -- and it may not seem like it, but yes, they do remember. But just like most of us, they learn by doing :-) Once they're out of school, you become more of a life coach, and less of a "parent" in terms of advice, etc. It becomes more of a "Have you thought about . . . ?" instead of "You should . . . " No one really likes being told what to do.

One child is living 600 miles away with his job, and I text/message with him several times a week. VERY few phone calls, but his job involves him having to come to his home town about every two months or so, so we usually have a long weekend with him then. The other lives here, and I talk to her briefly almost every day, we dog-sit each other's dogs and have dinner about once a week. I'd be happiest with both of them still living at home, where I could enjoy them daily! I miss them not being home, because I truly enjoy them, but I'm happy that they are happy and making their way in the world and making good decisions. The other option is "failure to launch" -- so it's all good. :-)

Old 05-12-2017, 11:47 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,044,467 times
I give life lesson lectures on the morning drive to middle school 5 days a week. She listens, she sometimes asks questions or comments. I don't know if she'll take it all to heart, but she won't be able to say I didn't try!

This past week we've talked about car loans (avoid), the importance of extra-curricular activities in addition to excellent grades in order to maximize scholarship opportunities, and being informed of current events to make good choices at voting booth. The ride is only about 10 minutes so she tolerates it.

Old 05-12-2017, 02:12 PM

537 posts, read 598,259 times
Teenagers are just young adults, and by that age they are enough of an individual that this question is meaningless. You might as well ask "Is it worth giving people advice on life"? Some people heed advice, others don't.

I know when I was a teenager I didn't particularly follow my parents' advice, but I sure remembered it when I was older, and it did help me.

I think one of the primary jobs of a parent of teenagers is to give them advice and guidance. Even if they don't follow it always, they will subconsciously remember it and act accordingly. The teenage years are your last chance to shape what kind of person your child will be, probably for the rest of their lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting