Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 05:58 PM

13 posts, read 14,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Big difference between, say, Vancouver and Yellowknife, though.
Good guessing, I live in Yellowknife!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2016, 06:06 PM

2 posts, read 1,800 times
Sounds like you keep your daughter very bundled up. Do you dress her like that every time she goes outside or just when she goes to school? Also how do you dress yourself?

Old 12-28-2016, 06:24 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,082,647 times
I wouldn't. My husband and I only put on "coats" (not true winter coats) unless we're going to be walking our dog for a long period of time. Otherwise we just wear normal clothes with a sweatshirt, even when it's below freezing. When it gets below 0, we wear our "coats", though.

Old 12-28-2016, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattycatherine View Post
Sounds like you keep your daughter very bundled up. Do you dress her like that every time she goes outside or just when she goes to school? Also how do you dress yourself?
Unless its warmer out I usually have her wear all her winter gear if she's going outside. And if I'm going to be spending lots of time outside I dress myself similarly to my daughter, if not then I usually won't wear snow pants.

Old 12-28-2016, 06:35 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,878 times
As a person who has ALWAYS run "hot", I absolutely hated being bundled up as a kid. Still hate it as an adult.

I have vivid memories of my mom making sure I had on a zipped up coat, hat, scarf, mittens, boots for the wait at the bus stop in MN. I also have vivid memories of me unzipping my coat, loosening my scarf, removing my hat, etc. as I waited for the bus because I was HOT! I always carried my gear home - never wore it, because again, I was HOT!

As an adult, I only zip my coat when it's seriously cold - like 10 or 0 Farenheit or colder. Today it was right around freezing (32 F), and I ran some errands with just a long sleeve hoodie and tennis shoes - no winter coat.

I never made my teens wear coats if they did not want to. They had to have winter gear (coats, gloves, boots, blankets, jumper cables, and AAA card) in their car though. They all made it to adulthood!

Old 12-28-2016, 06:43 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyKray View Post
Even though it is below freezing outside I constantly see teens who are completely underdressed and some who aren't even wearing winter coats.

I don't mess around when it comes to dressing for cold weather. I have a thirteen year old daughter and I make sure she is always bundled up. She has a very long walk to school in the brutal morning cold, so serious winter gear is a must. That means that insulated snow pants and knee high winter boots are essential. I don't care how uncool my daughter thinks they are, I have to put her health and safety first. Besides she has a change of shoes at school and can wear whatever jeans or yoga pants she finds stylish underneath the snow pants. Just as long as they're on when she goes outside. Next I have her layer a puffy vest from the North Face over a fleece jacket from the same brand. Over that she wears the Canada Goose Kensington parka with the Marmot Montreaux coat under it as an extra liner. I always have my daughter wear thick gloves, a warm hat, a scarf, and both her hoods up.

I know that with all that gear on when she walks to school in single digit weather with the windchill in the negatives she's warm.

Do you force your kids to get bundled up for the cold weather?
Does she have to wear those specific brands?

Old 12-28-2016, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
I wouldn't. My husband and I only put on "coats" (not true winter coats) unless we're going to be walking our dog for a long period of time. Otherwise we just wear normal clothes with a sweatshirt, even when it's below freezing. When it gets below 0, we wear our "coats", though.
Wow you must be very warm-blooded! I start to wear a winter coat around 45F (7C), when it gets below 0F (-17) I usually layer on three down parkas and a pair of snow pants!

Old 12-28-2016, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Does she have to wear those specific brands?
I was just describing the specific coats my daughter has.

Old 12-28-2016, 06:55 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyKray View Post
She has a very long walk to school in the brutal morning cold, so serious winter gear is a must.
Is there no school bus where you live?

Old 12-28-2016, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
As a person who has ALWAYS run "hot", I absolutely hated being bundled up as a kid. Still hate it as an adult.

I have vivid memories of my mom making sure I had on a zipped up coat, hat, scarf, mittens, boots for the wait at the bus stop in MN. I also have vivid memories of me unzipping my coat, loosening my scarf, removing my hat, etc. as I waited for the bus because I was HOT! I always carried my gear home - never wore it, because again, I was HOT!

As an adult, I only zip my coat when it's seriously cold - like 10 or 0 Farenheit or colder. Today it was right around freezing (32 F), and I ran some errands with just a long sleeve hoodie and tennis shoes - no winter coat.

I never made my teens wear coats if they did not want to. They had to have winter gear (coats, gloves, boots, blankets, jumper cables, and AAA card) in their car though. They all made it to adulthood!
Looks like I'm the opposite if you, I'm always freezing. At 32F I would be wearing a long down parka with gloves, a hat, a scarf, etc.

Did you ever try explaining to your mom how hot you were? Did she always insist on you bundling up or did she let you dress yourself as you got older?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting