Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2017, 04:47 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Obviously there isn't, but there are trends. Rutgers is NJ's largest state school, yet it isn't obvious to all people that it's a state school. I was responding to a poster who didn't know himself for a long time that it was a state school. NJ doesn't have any school that's named "New Jersey University" or "NJ State." All our state schools have "other" names, except The College of NJ which used to be called something else until rather recently (leading to some older NJ residents to still refer to it by its older name) and is not our most well known or largest state university. Most states have at least one flagship type of large state school system with its state name in the name, identified as that state school right in its usual, colloquial name. We don't. Ours is known only as Rutgers. That's all I was saying.
Nor does New York, and the U of Pennsylvania, as has been pointed out numerous times now, is private. Part of Cornell is public;is that NY's flagship?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2017, 04:48 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
All these posts show that knowing your schools is regional. A Californian would know that USC is not a state school. An easterner would know the difference between Penn and Penn State. As I said about 100 posts ago, it is far more important to know the schools you might actually go to. For most people, that's going to be the ones in your state or region. It's silly to single out the ivy league schools, especially for someone from the west coast.

Old 01-18-2017, 05:08 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Nor does New York, and the U of Pennsylvania, as has been pointed out numerous times now, is private. Part of Cornell is public;is that NY's flagship?
You're missing my point entirely.

NY's flagship would be the SUNY (State University of NY) and to a lesser extent CUNY (City University of NY) systems. PA has Penn State.

I can list multiple states off the top of my head that have one or more public nationally well-known university named after the state itself, U of (State) or (State) State, making no mistake of where you are with its official or colloquial name: Maryland, Virginia, Maine, Vermont, Florida, Georgia, Texas, California, Washington, Oregon, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Missouri, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Arizona, Rhode Island, Pennsylvania, Iowa, Ohio, Hawaii. That's 23 off the top of my head with public universities known by those state names.

NJ doesn't have that. That is all. Our biggest most well-known state public university doesn't have the state in its colloquial name, which might explain why people sometimes don't realize it's public. It is THE NJ state university but unlike most other state university systems, it is known only as Rutgers. There is no "New Jersey University" of any variation (U of NJ, NJ State, etc) that is so widely known or the flagship public university in NJ. Bus man (I believe it was) is not the first person I've heard say that he or she was unaware Rutgers was public not private or even the flagship state school. Some people just don't know. But there's no mistaking it for all those other states I listed. Many correctly assume that "University of (State)" is probably a large state university or system of universities.

Old 01-18-2017, 05:17 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,917,208 times
Quote:
You're missing my point entirely.

NY's flagship would be the SUNY (State University of NY) and to a lesser extent CUNY (City University of NY) systems. PA has Penn State.

I can list multiple states off the top of my head that have one or more public nationally well-known university named after the state itself, U of (State) or (State) State, making no mistake of where you are with its official or colloquial name: Maryland, Virginia, Maine, Vermont, Florida, Georgia, Texas, California, Washington, Oregon, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Missouri, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Arizona, Rhode Island, Pennsylvania, Iowa, Ohio. That's 22 off the top of my head with public universities known by those state names.

NJ doesn't have that. That is all. Our biggest most well-known state public university doesn't have the state in its colloquial name, which might explain why people sometimes don't realize it's public. It is THE NJ state university but unlike most other state university systems, it is known only as Rutgers. There is no "New Jersey University" of any variation (U of NJ, NJ State, etc) that is so widely known or the flagship public university in NJ. Bus man (I believe it was) is not the first person I've heard say that he or she was unaware Rutgers was public not private or even the flagship state school. Some people just don't know. But there's no mistaking it for all those other states I listed. Many correctly assume that "University of (State)" is probably a large state university or system of universities.
This is getting way off topic, but in many states (I'll just use my own state of WI as an example) - the *system* is University of Wisconsin, but there technically is no one "University of Wisconsin" - there's University of Wisconsin-Madison, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, University of Wisconsin-Green Bay, etc. but no University of Wisconsin. Same with California - there's University of California-Berkeley, UC-Los Angeles, UC-Davis, etc. Now, of course, most people familiar with colleges realize that University of California-Berkeley is the flagship school and de facto, the University of California, and that University of Wisconsin-Madison is the flagship and thus generally regarded as "the University of Wisconsin," but *technically* that's not correct. If someone says the University of Wisconsin, they're really referring to any one of the University of Wisconsin system schools.

New York is similar. There are lots and lots of SUNY/CUNY schools. The flagship is generally regarded as SUNY Stony Brook (commonly referred to as Stony Brook University), but if someone says they attend "State University of New York",they could be referring to SUNY Stony Brook, Binghampton, Brockport, etc.

Old 01-18-2017, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
This is getting way off topic, but in many states (I'll just use my own state of WI as an example) - the *system* is University of Wisconsin, but there technically is no one "University of Wisconsin" - there's University of Wisconsin-Madison, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, University of Wisconsin-Green Bay, etc. but no University of Wisconsin. Same with California - there's University of California-Berkeley, UC-Los Angeles, UC-Davis, etc. Now, of course, most people familiar with colleges realize that University of California-Berkeley is the flagship school and de facto, the University of California, and that University of Wisconsin-Madison is the flagship and thus generally regarded as "the University of Wisconsin," but *technically* that's not correct. If someone says the University of Wisconsin, they're really referring to any one of the University of Wisconsin system schools.
It's the same with Rutgers, we have 3 campuses - Rutgers-Newark, Rutgers-Camden, Rutgers-New Brunswick (which is the main campus). You are getting too technical; my point should really be quite clear, especially in the context in which I first posted it, in response to a specific comment someone else made.

When you see the football or basketball game on TV, who is playing? It's Rutgers. It's Wisconsin.

Old 01-18-2017, 05:27 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,917,208 times
Quote:
It's the same with Rutgers, we have 3 campuses - Rutgers-Newark, Rutgers-Camden, Rutgers-New Brunswick (which is the main campus). You are getting too technical; my point should really be quite clear, especially in the context in which I first posted it, in response to a specific comment someone else made.

When you see the football or basketball game on TV, who is playing? It's Rutgers. It's Wisconsin.
Yes, but what you see on TV for sports really has no bearing on what their actual title is.

Old 01-18-2017, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Yes, but what you see on TV for sports really has no bearing on what their actual title is.
No one but people who have actual knowledge of those individual campuses in the state university system cares. Everyone else sees the "W" logo for Wisconsin, or the name spelled out in the score screen on TV, and they know it's Wisconsin. That's all that matters. Not everyone is going to know each campus of the state university system - but many of those state university systems are named after the state itself, and known colloquially as that state name - that is my point.

Oh - Michigan, too. 24.

Old 01-18-2017, 05:50 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,335,424 times
Quote:
Except for the fact that many people know about our Universities through college sports. The Ivy League is a sports conference.

Old 01-18-2017, 06:35 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,576,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
heres another confusing thread:
Working for the 'Big 4' ? Ivys only?

Old 01-18-2017, 06:50 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
I get annoyed when Americans say "school" yet they mean a University. Can we start an argument about that? The extended childhood of the under 30 American?
Merriam-Webster says:

"Definition of school
:* an organization that provides instruction: such as
a :* an institution for the teaching of children
b :* college, university"

You should have learned that in school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting