Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 05:18 PM

948 posts, read 1,145,960 times

Advertisements

Ok, So our 4 year old son goes to pre-k. This evening I went to pick him up from the after school program he was enrolled into. The lady in charge (new hire) told me that my son was 'rubbing' her. I asked her 'what you mean?' She said he was rubbing her shoulder and legs using his palm. I didn't know how to respond. He never did anything similar to anyone before. She added, she don't mind the behavior, but she don't want him do it to other kids in the class and their parents later make it an issue. I am totally surprised she said something like that about a 4 year old. Was she implying he was a pervert or something? I made him apologize to her and went home.

Now thinking about it, I am not sure how to handle this situation?
I asked my son why he did that but he didn't say anything. He is one of those kids who is kinda clueless. If I ask him what he had for lunch, he keeps thinking and later say I don't know. He doesn't recall the details of everything he does unless you ask him right away after he does it. Not sure if it's because of his age.

So now I don't know what exactly happened or why she made a big deal out of it? I felt weird that she announced this in front of everyone when I went to pick him up than pull me to the side and have a private conversation with me. What you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2017, 05:34 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,194,545 times
Just teach your child about personal space, privacy and not touching people without their permission.

I don't think it's something to worry about. He is an innocent child, doesn't know social norms. She is a preschool teacher, not a trained educator with a degree and training, probably doesn't know how to be sensitive to a parent or need to respect a child's privacy.

If it bothers you then discuss it with school's director. You can tell her that you didn't like how teacher handled it.

Old 01-25-2017, 05:39 PM

769 posts, read 785,589 times
It's 2017. That isn't a problem. Especially in CoCo and rural Texas.

Old 01-25-2017, 05:48 PM

I don't think it's a big deal either but with what's going on lately around us with people lacking
Common sense I better be safe than sorry.

4 -year-old Accused of Improperly Touching Teacher - KXXV-TV News Channel 25 - Central Texas News and Weather for Waco, Temple, Killeen |

Old 01-25-2017, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
Just teach your child about personal space, privacy and not touching people without their permission.

I don't think it's something to worry about. He is an innocent child, doesn't know social norms. She is a preschool teacher, not a trained educator with a degree and training, probably doesn't know how to be sensitive to a parent or need to respect a child's privacy.

If it bothers you then discuss it with school's director. You can tell her that you didn't like how teacher handled it.
Thanks for the response UnfairPark. She is not preschool teacher. But the employee at after school program ran by a third party. It has got nothing to do with the school.

Old 01-25-2017, 06:01 PM

Got it. Nonetheless, whoever runs that program, should be able to make sure these situations are handled with more sensitivity ... by that person and by other employees.

Old 01-25-2017, 06:05 PM

1,282 posts, read 3,564,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitynity View Post
She is not preschool teacher. But the employee at after school program ran by a third party.
Then even less likely they have any child-specific eduction or training. I wouldn't worry about it. At 4 years old, this is a completely normal behavior Like the pp said, just talk to your child about personal boundaries, appropriate touches, etc. It should be a constant conversation throughout their childhood anyway.

Old 01-25-2017, 06:09 PM

^This. With so many perverts out there, it's never too early to talk to your children about personal safety.

Old 01-25-2017, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
^This. With so many perverts out there, it's never too early to talk to your children about personal safety.
That's true. If she does something to him, at his age he won't have a clue what's going on if I ask him about it.

Old 01-25-2017, 06:28 PM

710 posts, read 581,975 times
This might sound alarming, but do you think that your son may have been inappropriately touched by this aide at the after school program and she is using this very public conversation with you to cover for her behavior towards your son? If you have never noticed this type of behavior from your son before and this person is a new face, I would be delving a little further into what exactly happened.

I think I would talk to this person's supervisor and just make it known that you would have preferred hearing something like this in a private setting. Make that the focus of your complaint right now . At the very least, you can fix the way it was handled. When you do talk to your son about Inappropriate touching, include it to add that it also means no one is to touch him either. See where the conversation takes you.

I am thinking I am totally off base and I don't mean to be an alarmist, but pedophiles are calculating and can manipulate children very easily. Children can be scared into keeping secrets. Just have a low key conversation with him so that he knows he can talk to you about anything. Something just doesn't feel right about this and you need to check it out. If your gut tells you this, then something is off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
View detailed profiles of: