Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 03:06 PM

1,166 posts, read 876,782 times

Advertisements

Do you think a man or woman should be forced to pay child support to the custodial parent while no being allowed access to their children? I personally think if you have to pay child support you must be allowed to see you children, because any parent that cares enough to support their kid financially also wants to spend time with them in person. But I don't see why you should be forced to support a kid that you're not even allowed to see (either by the other parent or whoever).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2017, 03:10 PM

61,727 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Why can't you see your kids? court order?

If you ex-spouse denies your parenting time, research the resources in your area for parenting time and custody enforcement. Many states do not require a court motion before a judge to enforce court orders. Other resources, such as parenting time monitors, counselors, and custody mediators, exist.
If your ex simply refuses to follow your court’s order, consider filing a motion to have your judge hold her in contempt for disobedience. The judge will order her to comply.

Whatever you do, do not simply stop paying child support. You will have to invest in your relationship with your children if you want parenting time with them. It is your choice whether to do so as the deadbeat parent or the dedicated one. You do not need a lawyer to know which parent the judge favors.

Besides, if you are able to see them or not - they are your children, they need to eat, they need to be provided for.
Also: support and visitation are two separate issues. You'll need to go to court and establish a visitation order if you'd like to. By that I mean, if you don't pay, you can lose visitation until you comply.

Last edited by elnina; 01-26-2017 at 03:27 PM..

Old 01-26-2017, 04:24 PM

1,585 posts, read 1,932,401 times
No, if you can't see your kid it means there is a problem with you, not the kid. As a father and a man you have a responsibility to support your off-spring.

It's not a kid, it's your kid, and not his/her fault their dad did something that forbids contact. Send the check, so your kid can get new shoes, food, etc...Just because you can't see them doesn't magically make it not your kid.

Old 01-26-2017, 04:34 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
by law, the non custodial parent is forced to pay support.
There is no law that says that the non custodial MUST visit or have visitation.

Go figure.

Also the support is NOT for the child. It goes directly to the custodial to do with as they please.

Biggest rouse this support thing misleads is that somehow the funds get used for the offspring. so far the courts have been silent in saying its for the kids directly.

During court orders to pay, is when the visitation is to be agreed upon. Unless the non custodial is a threat to the children ....

Old 01-26-2017, 04:46 PM

1,166 posts, read 876,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chb119 View Post
No, if you can't see your kid it means there is a problem with you, not the kid. As a father and a man you have a responsibility to support your off-spring.

It's not a kid, it's your kid, and not his/her fault their dad did something that forbids contact. Send the check, so your kid can get new shoes, food, etc...Just because you can't see them doesn't magically make it not your kid.

What if the other parent denies access to the child? It's not always the father's fault that he's not allowed to see his kid.

BTW I don't have kids, but I've seen this situation before and wanted to hear people's thoughts on it.

Old 01-26-2017, 05:00 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,571,777 times
Your child needs food, clothes and a roof over their head no matter what. Paying child support is not optional.

I would see my child no matter what or who tried to stop me. If your ex spouse tries to keep your child away you need to take them to court. A good father would fight to see his child - Don't be a wuss - stand up and be a man for heavens sake.

Not sure why some people think child support is 'not spent on the child'. Those people have obviously never raised a child and don't realize how expensive rent, utilities, food, clothes, doctor visits, etc. are. I don't know ANYONE that spends 'child support' on the 'good life' of the custodial parent.

Old 01-26-2017, 05:18 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
You make a baby, you pay for it. If the custodial parent isn't holding up their end of the legal visitation arrangement, the other parent should contact their lawyer. One is not dependent on the other.

Old 01-26-2017, 05:30 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,430,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
What if the other parent denies access to the child? It's not always the father's fault that he's not allowed to see his kid.

BTW I don't have kids, but I've seen this situation before and wanted to hear people's thoughts on it.
Then take them to court to get the visitation order enforced.

Old 01-26-2017, 06:12 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
You're not paying for ACCESS to your kids...you're paying to SUPPORT them. They need your support whether you see them or not.

Old 01-26-2017, 06:44 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,587,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
Do you think a man or woman should be forced to pay child support to the custodial parent while no being allowed access to their children? I personally think if you have to pay child support you must be allowed to see you children, because any parent that cares enough to support their kid financially also wants to spend time with them in person. But I don't see why you should be forced to support a kid that you're not even allowed to see (either by the other parent or whoever).
Your right to see them is unconnected to child support. They are your children. You have as much right to see them as their mother does, even if you fall behind in child support.

You also have a duty to support them...whether you see them or not.

If you don't want to support them and the mother doesn't want you to see them, why not relinquish your parental rights entirely, so they can be adopted by the mother's husband, when and if she remarries?

If the mother doesn't let you see them, you need to go to court to get an order, ordering her to let you see them (and when), OR, if there is already an order, holding her in contempt. She'll be fined, if she withholds the children from you.

If a court won't let you see them...that means you are bad news for the kids. But they still have to eat, wear clothes, need electricity and gas and water to subsist, books, learning tools.

Don't have any more kids, if you don't want to or can't support them. Use birth control or keep your pants zipped up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting