Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 08:51 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrike1 View Post
.............. Long ago I "played" with one with a friend, and I got so creeped out by an experience that I still don't like to talk about it. I do not think they are "just" toys.
I got so creeped out by a snipe hunt when I was a child that I was terrified of the dark for years. That is not proof that snipes are dangerous. Nor is it proof that tiny birds can be called into gunny sacks at night.

What it is proof of is that some adults are vicious and think it is funny to terrorize young children.

I am sorry that one of your friends thought it was a good game to creep you out, luckystrike. That planchard never moves all by itself. One of your friends pushed it to creep out the kids playing with the toy. When everyone stands well back well away from the table and no one is touching the planchard and it moves around spelling out sentences on its own, then you can believe, if you want to, that the spirits are moving it (although I would suspect a trick).

Think it through, if a spirit from the never never is not even strong enough to move a tiny piece of plastic that weighs half an ounce, just what do you think that spirit is strong enough to do to harm you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2017, 09:47 AM

9,860 posts, read 7,732,644 times
I played with Ouija boards all the time growing up. We had many scary times at slumber parties and really did believe something paranormal was happening.

Fast forward 30 years and my son and his wife really felt something creepy was going on in our new house, they kept hearing things and seeing dark things race across the ceiling. They asked us to get rid of the old Ouija board. We did. Then our cousin, with a Native American background, came in the house and felt something strong enough that she wanted to annoint our house with oils. She did and no more strange sounds or sights. (I never sensed it).

Then we found that other families had strong opposition to Ouija boards, which we really hadn't heard before.

So, as a parent and grandparent, I'm not going to buy another one for the kids. And I wouldn't let other children play with one at my house without asking their parents first, since now I realize some are strongly against it.

Old 11-09-2017, 10:03 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
An interesting article on the ideomotor effect and Ouija boards.

Hint:
These things are just toys.

https://www.vox.com/2016/10/29/13301...eomotor-effect

Old 11-09-2017, 11:16 PM

3,072 posts, read 1,682,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I got so creeped out by a snipe hunt when I was a child that I was terrified of the dark for years. That is not proof that snipes are dangerous. Nor is it proof that tiny birds can be called into gunny sacks at night.

What it is proof of is that some adults are vicious and think it is funny to terrorize young children.

I am sorry that one of your friends thought it was a good game to creep you out, luckystrike. That planchard never moves all by itself. One of your friends pushed it to creep out the kids playing with the toy. When everyone stands well back well away from the table and no one is touching the planchard and it moves around spelling out sentences on its own, then you can believe, if you want to, that the spirits are moving it (although I would suspect a trick).

Think it through, if a spirit from the never never is not even strong enough to move a tiny piece of plastic that weighs half an ounce, just what do you think that spirit is strong enough to do to harm you?
Uh... It wasn't the friend (there was only two of us), and we were both 13 years old. The creep factor wasn't while "playing" with it (although we heatedly accused each other of moving it); rather, it was circumstances that occurred later ~ predictions about me that occurred within days - nothing that HE could cook up unless he was one helluva seer, which he wasn't - and it was all too out there for coincidence. My friend ended up getting rid of his board and I will not touch one again.

Old 11-10-2017, 07:04 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times
They creep me out. I'm mildly religious and I'm liberal and I'm not typically spooked... but no ouija boards in my house. My mom told me about a scary experience she and a friend had with one and she's not one to make up or exaggerate a story involving the paranormal.

Old 11-13-2017, 07:08 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,088,512 times
No Ouija boards at our house. No religious stuff either other than a few antique crucifixes that we view as family artifacts and art pieces. We've taught our daughter to not subscribe to "magical thinking" of any stripe.
If she wanted to play with one with a friend, no harm.

Old 11-13-2017, 04:18 PM

926 posts, read 673,709 times
It's good to read the last few recent posts from people who have had negative and frightening experiences while using a Ouija board because it shows the other people on here that this method of spiritual divination is NOT just an 'innocent' and 'harmless' "game".

Luckystrike, thanks for coming back and giving us more insight into the type of scary experience you had with this - and what is so very frightening and creepy, is that those incidences (the predictions) happened days later AFTER the use of the Ouija board.

Those of you who refuse to allow a Ouija board to cross the threshold of your home are wise indeed; the potentially dangerous risk that's involved with 'playing' with one just isn't worth it!

Old 11-13-2017, 04:43 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,664,258 times
The only thing that happens when you play with that game is what the players make happen.

Old 11-13-2017, 04:45 PM

19,517 posts, read 9,540,055 times
Nah. We did it as kids and nothing ever came of it. Not for me, anyways.

Old 11-13-2017, 04:47 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilFlowers17 View Post
It's good to read the last few recent posts from people who have had negative and frightening experiences while using a Ouija board because it shows the other people on here that this method of spiritual divination is NOT just an 'innocent' and 'harmless' "game".

Luckystrike, thanks for coming back and giving us more insight into the type of scary experience you had with this - and what is so very frightening and creepy, is that those incidences (the predictions) happened days later AFTER the use of the Ouija board.

Those of you who refuse to allow a Ouija board to cross the threshold of your home are wise indeed; the potentially dangerous risk that's involved with 'playing' with one just isn't worth it!
So why exactly is your anecdotal evidence any more valuable and believable than anyone else's?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting