Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 07:13 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,591,402 times

Advertisements

Instead of your son being banned from his gramma's house, the girl should be sent home whenever she bites. At four, she is able to understand this punishment. "If you bite, you can't be here." Then follow th
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 07:16 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,591,402 times
The girl should be banned from grandma's house when she bites, not your son. She is old enough to understand "If you bite, you can't be here." Then follow through. Biting is a toddler thing, but a preschooler knows better.

Old 03-20-2017, 07:24 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,024,482 times
I wonder if parents and grandma of the biter are in denial that something is wrong with this child and are minimizing her biting so they won't have to face the fact that something has gone wrong in her development. Your wife may be afraid that she'll lose her family's approval if she doesn't go along with their program. Obviously, you can't sacrifice your son so that they can continue to ignore reality.

Old 03-20-2017, 07:30 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,963,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
The girl should be banned from grandma's house when she bites, not your son. She is old enough to understand "If you bite, you can't be here." Then follow through. Biting is a toddler thing, but a preschooler knows better.
IIRC the grandmother lives with the junior vampire.

Old 03-20-2017, 07:33 PM

894 posts, read 588,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Instead of your son being banned from his gramma's house, the girl should be sent home whenever she bites. At four, she is able to understand this punishment. "If you bite, you can't be here."
If Grandma was more reasonable, then yes, that would happen.

But unfortunately, OP stated that Grandma sees no problem with the biting.

So that's why Dad now should step in & keep his child permanently out of that environment although his wife thinks her own child getting bitten regularly is nothing major.

I'm still mad about that part too. How the heck can a mom NOT care if her child is being abused by ANYONE?!

Old 03-20-2017, 07:38 PM

2,081 posts, read 1,610,676 times
I'm not a parent. I sympathize with the OP's situation; but I would think that the welfare of the OP's child is the main concern, not the happiness of the OP's wife or the convenience for the biting child and her parents. A 2-year-old biting others can be a phase, a 4-year-old biting others is a problem, and not the OP's problem except that his child is being hurt.

I would also, were I the parent of the child being bitten, be very concerned about how being frequently bitten by a kid close to him in age is going to affect his continued social development. The OP's child needs to kept away from the cousin who bites him. (in my opinion, the biter should be spanked the next time she bites anyone; and if that doesn't work, therapy as soon as possible)

Good luck to the OP and the rest of the family. I hope the biting child stops her bad behavior.

Old 03-20-2017, 07:49 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,030,056 times
This is unbelievable.

Because grown adults are afraid to hurt Grandma's feelings, this poor kid has to keep getting bitten by his cousin.

Old 03-20-2017, 07:50 PM

101 posts, read 116,343 times
wow you are way nicer than I would have been. I dont even want my son around my husbands same age niece because she has given him colds more than once. Eff that. It's also obviously the PARENT'S fault and that's the message I tried getting across. Dont bring your sick kid around mine and think it's ok. With biting I would lose my mind. We went through a period where my 2 year old son was hitting our baby (it's fine now) but they were MY kids, my issue.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:37 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,770,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTony View Post
I don't want to send him there but at the same time I am not sure if this is worth breaking marriage. So need to analyze pros and cons of this relationship which is a separate issue all together
As an objective person reading this thread, this reads as of your son's safety is not as important as your marriage. This is a place that you need to put your foot down, protect your son.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:04 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,301,997 times
Thanks for feedback everyone. Today my wife and I had an important discussion. Emailed her a link to this thread and told her rest of the sane ppl in US think like me. It was decided that the kid will not go to that house period until there is documented evidence of the issue being resolved. Only exception would be to check on the grandma but in that case mommy would always accompany her son and wont leave him unsupervised even when grandma is around. Once again I appreciate all your help in helping me convince my wife... As for the niece's parents. They didn't reply to my email and at this point I don't really care because I will handle the situation my way from now on wards
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting