Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2008, 12:03 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

(LifeWire) -- The death of a mother or father can be emotionally wrenching -- particularly for children who had a difficult or complicated relationship with their parents. But for others, it can also be a time for personal growth and renewal.

After a parent's death, some bloom - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 06:15 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,928,196 times
Sadly, I think this will be the case for me when my mother dies.

Old 03-11-2008, 03:21 PM

19 posts, read 167,640 times
I recently lost both my parents. I lost my mom in Oct. 2006 and my dad in Nov. 2007. I don't feel I've grown or bloomed. Well, I may have some relief with my mom cause she was ill and it was difficult to be around her and I wasn't very close to her. But the relief is that she's not suffering anymore. I knew it was coming but you can never be fully prepared.

My dad was different. It was unexpected. He died in his sleep. My sister had gotten calls from friends concerned about my dad. She went over there and found him on the couch. A big shock to say the least. I miss them both but again my dad was different. We had just seen him the week before for Thanksgiving.

Old 03-13-2008, 06:36 PM

246 posts, read 1,248,177 times
Regarese,

I am with you on this one, I feel the same way as sad as it may sound.

StarLite,

You probably had better parents than Regarese & I. I'm sorry for your loss, may God bless!

Old 03-13-2008, 06:48 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,709,410 times
Wow, this is fitting...lately I have been thinking of my parents. My father's anniversary is coming up and my mother's birthday is coming up so I am feeling very emotional lately; both have passed away.
Now that I am a parent I wish:
My parents could have met my kids like they met my siblings' kids;
I had talked more to my own parents;
I had the guidance I hear that my friends get from their parents;

So perhaps I have grown; I have more regrets about my parents and wish to be a better parent to my own kids.
Please, if you still have your parents, talk to them about when you were little, what silly things you did; hug them so you can remember how it feels; see if they can write you a note you can always treasure when they are gone.

Old 03-13-2008, 06:56 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,441,250 times
I wish growth or at least healing would happen for all children.

My best friend in high school lost her mother on the first day if our junior year in high school. She went to school in the morning and her mother was fine but by lunch, her brother came to pick her up and they did not make it to the hospital in time. Her mother had cancer but her death was completely unexpected.

After that, she became a pathological liar. I believed it all because why wouldn't I? She came up with elaborate lies that she was acting for an Atlanta theatre group, that she went on all these trips, and even that she was shooting for a pilot in a TV show. It sounds ridiculous but why wouldn't I believe her? In the end, she told me she got into Yale early decision (in October when decisions wouldn't go out until at least January) and that she went to Santorini, Greece (without any pictures and her ISP logging into my online journal daily). She wasn't a bad person but her mother's death really changed her.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:07 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by therewego View Post
Wow, this is fitting...lately I have been thinking of my parents. My father's anniversary is coming up and my mother's birthday is coming up so I am feeling very emotional lately; both have passed away.
Now that I am a parent I wish:
My parents could have met my kids like they met my siblings' kids;
I had talked more to my own parents;
I had the guidance I hear that my friends get from their parents;

So perhaps I have grown; I have more regrets about my parents and wish to be a better parent to my own kids.
Please, if you still have your parents, talk to them about when you were little, what silly things you did; hug them so you can remember how it feels; see if they can write you a note you can always treasure when they are gone.
A very touching post. My best to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting