Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 07:33 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
You can also give instructions. If the tampon has an applicator, unwrap one and hold it in your hand, then push it between two fingers so she sees that the rim of the applicator needs to be as far in as it can go before she presses the other part of the applicator. I didn't know that at first and couldn't tell from the instructions and my first swimming pool/tampon experience was less than positive.

Also, since she has a heavy flow, a menstrual cup would be worth looking into. You'd want to get one for yourself and get familiar with using it before trying to explain it to her, but it holds as much as several tampons, there's no smell and nothing gross to put in your trash can, and you can reuse it for years. I've been using one for two and a half years, and I figure I've already saved over $200 by not having to buy period supplies for myself.
I am so far from an expert in using anything. I don't have freakish anatomy, but a variation that makes using tampons, diaphragms, cups, etc impossible.

I don't understand how the cup works...I mean, don't you have to clean it? So what if you are in public? How do you know if its full? Does it slip?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2017, 07:36 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,585,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
But everyone knows what that means!

Not at 10 years old...sure older kids do but not any who haven't started that yet.

Old 06-13-2017, 08:04 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,962 times
Quote:
I thought my youngest still had a couple of years before she would start having periods, but she just started at age 11. She's furious about it and can't believe she'll be dealing with it for the next forty years.

Anyhow, pack some supplies for your daughter while she's at camp, so she'll be prepared if she gets her first period there.
My daughter is very small, and only weighs 51 pounds at 11 years old. I read somewhere that underweight girls develop and get their periods later, so that's why I think we still have a while. Like, the average girl is about 100 pounds when she gets her first period, or something like that. She hasn't started any part of puberty yet, no breast buds or hair or anything, and I also heard that the period comes towards the end of the sequence of puberty. So while we know it could happen any time I guess, we aren't really expecting it for a few more years. If she did get it at camp, I would think the camp nurse should be prepared for that though.

Old 06-13-2017, 08:18 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,951,965 times
Quote:
I thought my youngest still had a couple of years before she would start having periods, but she just started at age 11. She's furious about it and can't believe she'll be dealing with it for the next forty years.

Anyhow, pack some supplies for your daughter while she's at camp, so she'll be prepared if she gets her first period there.
Just tell her that, assuming she doesn't end up dealing with a heavy flow, irregular cycles, or massive PMS cramps every month, by the time she hits her 30's and later she's going to be wondering what all thr fuss was about.

I'm 42 and once I get past Day #2 (the heaviest flow day) I'm very meh about the whole thing.

Old 06-13-2017, 08:26 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,611,567 times
Quote:
I figure I've already saved over $200 by not having to buy period supplies for myself.
This is true. I remember when they first came in, and since I was using a diaphragm for birth control, I figured I could manage the cup. It was a good idea! And later versions fit better. I found, though, that my really heavy flows dislodged it, and I had to go back to pads. And, yes, this was near the end of cycles, so I knew I wouldn't be needing this stuff much longer.

Old 06-13-2017, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
My daughter is very small, and only weighs 51 pounds at 11 years old. I read somewhere that underweight girls develop and get their periods later, so that's why I think we still have a while. Like, the average girl is about 100 pounds when she gets her first period, or something like that. She hasn't started any part of puberty yet, no breast buds or hair or anything, and I also heard that the period comes towards the end of the sequence of puberty. So while we know it could happen any time I guess, we aren't really expecting it for a few more years. If she did get it at camp, I would think the camp nurse should be prepared for that though.
My daughter was 68 lbs and had almost no body fat when she started. She had put on a little extra weight in her belly, just a tiny bit, but more then she ever had before. She seems to be growing faster then usual, but staying thin. But the entire shape of her changed. They say its from the onset of the changes (most noticeable breast buds) it takes 2 to 2.5 years to start menstruating. She only had 6 months (verified by the doc at a well check up).

Old 06-13-2017, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Just tell her that, assuming she doesn't end up dealing with a heavy flow, irregular cycles, or massive PMS cramps every month, by the time she hits her 30's and later she's going to be wondering what all thr fuss was about.

I'm 42 and once I get past Day #2 (the heaviest flow day) I'm very meh about the whole thing.
LOL women like me hate women like you

Mine last a full week and there are times I cant even leave the house its so bad.

Old 06-13-2017, 09:45 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
My daughter was 68 lbs and had almost no body fat when she started. She had put on a little extra weight in her belly, just a tiny bit, but more then she ever had before. She seems to be growing faster then usual, but staying thin. But the entire shape of her changed. They say its from the onset of the changes (most noticeable breast buds) it takes 2 to 2.5 years to start menstruating. She only had 6 months (verified by the doc at a well check up).
Thanks. Good to know.

Old 06-13-2017, 09:56 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,585,020 times
Quote:
LOL women like me hate women like you

Mine last a full week and there are times I cant even leave the house its so bad.
Mine was like that too until I got mirena. Best decision ever. Of course down the road wound up with a hysterectomy and haven't had a period in years. I'd highly recommend that if you're done procreating!

Old 06-13-2017, 11:39 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
I am so far from an expert in using anything. I don't have freakish anatomy, but a variation that makes using tampons, diaphragms, cups, etc impossible.

I don't understand how the cup works...I mean, don't you have to clean it? So what if you are in public? How do you know if its full? Does it slip?
The cup is made of a biofriendly silicon (some older models are latex) that is incredibly flexible and forms a seal inside the vagina. It is inserted by folding it in half, inserting it higher up than a tampon (for most models, where it "pops" open on its own. It is removed by bearing down and pulling on the short stem at the base of the cup. Everyone thinks they have this super heavy flow and will need to empty a cup constantly, but that is not the case. Most women only have to empty it once in a 24 hrs, so even a heavy flow you can just empty it when you get home. And yes, when you are home you should clean it with soap and water.

But I think your daughter is likely to be too young for a cup. They take a certain level of being comfortable with your own anatomy.

Finally as a side note, many women who suffer endometriosis or other reasons for heavy periods with lots of cramping, prefer the menstrual cup because for many it eases cramping, doesn't leak, and can go much longer than changing a pad or tampon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting