Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 04:52 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,033,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Not a baby's! Ugh. I always feel bad for those wee things. As if bedtime is not bad enough without having studs poking into your head. They get their ears pierced when they are old enough to care for it.
Only a jerk would have their baby's ears pierced with studs, anyway, and no professional piercer would ever, ever use them- but that's neither here nor there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 06:26 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Why can't people just do what they want and not try to preach or be condescending to others? If she didn't or won't circumcise her son(s)... congrats. Yay for her. I don't see the need for a FB post like hers. Just live your life and don't worry about others'. Your uncircumcised son isn't impacting anyone else's life, and someone else's circumcised son isn't, either. I see this type of nonsense on the internet that makes news and just roll my eyes.

Old 07-06-2017, 06:39 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
Only a jerk would have their baby's ears pierced with studs, anyway, and no professional piercer would ever, ever use them- but that's neither here nor there.
Well I have several friends whose babies were pierced with exactly that. Around here, no profession piercer would pierce a baby period.

Having healed CBRs, they are only slightly less unpleasant.

Old 07-06-2017, 11:47 PM

776 posts, read 394,754 times
If infant circumcision were invented today, the person who came up with the idea would be instantly labeled a pedophile.

Old 07-07-2017, 04:36 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Why can't people just do what they want and not try to preach or be condescending to others? If she didn't or won't circumcise her son(s)... congrats. Yay for her. I don't see the need for a FB post like hers. Just live your life and don't worry about others'. Your uncircumcised son isn't impacting anyone else's life, and someone else's circumcised son isn't, either. I see this type of nonsense on the internet that makes news and just roll my eyes.
There are a lot of issues surrounding children's well being that make circumcision not the highest priority. We seek to protect children because children are our future. Of course, abuse and neglect are serious business! Food insecurity is serious business! These kinds of issues are a priority. But some of us do think that performing medically unnecessary surgical procedures is generally BAD for kids. For the kids. Not for anyone else. There it is.

Old 07-07-2017, 09:10 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,181,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I'm not sure you understand the entire concept of Facebook or social media in general. No one ever needs to post about their daily life. They choose to use the platform for whatever strikes their fancy. Do I care what my cousin ate for lunch today? Nope. Do I care that someone I knew in high school had a baby last week? Nope. It's my choice to either read about it, comment, skip over it or in my personal case, deactivate Facebook. You're free to choose the same.

Old 07-07-2017, 09:29 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Well, for a long time horse meat was a common dog food ingredient. We eventually, for some reason or another, pushed horse slaughter facilities over the border into Canada and Mexico.

It is part of French Cuisine and you will find it in Quebec I'm told.
My local grocery stores all have it.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:02 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,358,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Are there ANY other surgeries that are done for the POSSIBLE prevention of something? I have never heard of it. I had real, strong medical reason for a hysterectomy. A really safe surgery. My doc fought me tooth and nail and made me try every (ultimately ineffective) thing before referring me to a surgeon. Surgery should not be taken lightly. The real reason the AAP is still cool with it is that the social and religion outcry if this was denied would be huge.
The only thing I've ever heard of is when women choose to have a preventative mastectomy because of the high risk of breast cancer/having one of the breast cancer genes/etc.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:06 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
I'm not sure you understand the entire concept of Facebook or social media in general. No one ever needs to post about their daily life. They choose to use the platform for whatever strikes their fancy. Do I care what my cousin ate for lunch today? Nope. Do I care that someone I knew in high school had a baby last week? Nope. It's my choice to either read about it, comment, skip over it or in my personal case, deactivate Facebook. You're free to choose the same.
I'm in my 20s so I understand social media better than most people. I don't care that she posts something like this I just don't see why it needs to make news and be broadcast. I knew about her post by scrolling through news and IMO that's just unnecessary. I don't expect to find such nonsense on news platforms but I guess it was a slow day.

Old 07-07-2017, 02:47 PM

252 posts, read 124,134 times
I am glad she posted the picture. Its got people talking about a barbaric practice of genital mutilation and I think its LONG past time to discuss it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting