Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2017, 08:41 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Snowflake moms love attention and drama.
Yep, they're all snowflakes...until your kid or your grandchild develops a severe allergy, and then suddenly it all makes sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 08:53 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I'm floored that this thread is still going. With all the issues that face our world today, denying kids peanut butter in the face of allergies is barely a blip.

I don't care if your child will "only" eat pbj. That's the definition of a first world problem. Hungry kids eat. I do care that children are threatened by things in the environment that can cause them terrifying medical emergencies.

It's past time to stop catering to those who have options, and to start considering those who do not.
With all the issues that face our world today, we should ALL be ashamed that we waste time on a message board.

I know you don't care but for those of us with uber-picky first world children raised in a first world society it IS a concern. We ALL have kids with first world problems. So your shtick isn't working on me.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Find something that really matters to care so deeply about. The world will be a better place, I promise you.
The rights of a child to eat any one item at school is so far down the list of meaningful issues that's it's become laughable.
Oh PUH-LEEZE.

We are ALL on this message board and all these thoughts and words aren't doing a damned thing except occupying time and space in our brains. NOTHING discussed on ANY of these boards automatically lead to changes in the real world.

If you have such a problem with discussions for the sake of discussion, maybe a message board isn't the place to spend your free time.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:12 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
With all the issues that face our world today, we should ALL be ashamed that we waste time on a message board.

I know you don't care but for those of us with uber-picky first world children raised in a first world society it IS a concern. We ALL have kids with first world problems. So your shtick isn't working on me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Oh PUH-LEEZE.

We are ALL on this message board and all these thoughts and words aren't doing a damned thing except occupying time and space in our brains. NOTHING discussed on ANY of these boards automatically lead to changes in the real world.

If you have such a problem with discussions for the sake of discussion, maybe a message board isn't the place to spend your free time.
If the most pressing issue you have to deal with is your child's right to demand their choice of lunch, then you are a fortunate woman indeed.

This thread stopped being a discussion about 62 pages ago.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:13 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Yep, they're all snowflakes...until your kid or your grandchild develops a severe allergy, and then suddenly it all makes sense.
I think a lot of it is just refusing to admit that they're wrong. Someone said several times, "peanut butter is only fatal if ingested." Once several posters pointed out that that was incorrect, the first poster continued on as if no one said anything. Some people just don't want to say, "whoops, I didn't know something. Now that I know, my thoughts have changed." As a completely wild guess, I'd say the incidence of this attitude lies somewhere around one in three.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:28 PM

Quote:
If the most pressing issue you have to deal with is your child's right to demand their choice of lunch, then you are a fortunate woman indeed.

This thread stopped being a discussion about 62 pages ago.
This statement is just so...off base.

NONE of the issues we discuss here are our most pressing issues IRL. Its a DISCUSSION.

If you've been under the impression that topics discussed here are of utmost importance to the posters interacting with each other...well I'm very sorry, but you are woefully mistaken.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:33 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,323,101 times
Default Rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe33 View Post
Everyone has options. The issue is that people like you are trying to impose YOUR opinions on others. Force others to relinquish their freedoms, choices and beliefs and bend to your will. And you USE children as an excuse to get your way.
If you had real evidence that this was a real issue, people would make the correct CHOICE of their own FREE will and be happy with their choice. Not fighting and arguing with you.
boom!

Old 08-03-2017, 09:35 PM

Food allergies seem like a first world problem to me. Toughen up butter cups.

Old 08-04-2017, 02:55 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,103,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Think of all those that were, particularly in the 20th century. The organic mechanism of death was difficult to determine, but causal correlations were figured out pretty competently. That's how the concept of vaccination was discovered in the first place.

If kids were dying in the 50s from simply smelling peanuts--which was a heavily marketed food--that would have been noted.
Immunogenetics.

There may be more but I am aware of 3 genes located on 2 chromosomes that some people have variant sequences of their A's, C's, G's & T's that could cause them to have an atypical response to the HepB, Measles & Pertussis vaccines.

None of these were administered to children during the 1950's.

One of the atypical responses can be to develop hyper-reactivity to certain protiens; in the form of a severe allergic reaction.

The genes in question are the: MTFHR on Chromosome 1. HLA & C4B; both on Chromosome 6.

Anybody can obtain their own tests through heritage/ancestory testing labs if they opt for the health screening feature. Once resulted they should be reviewed by a Genetic Counselor to find if your genes carry the known variants.

I have the suspected variants in all 3 genes. I haven't a clue as to if this is common or rare.

The NIH has been verifiably aware of this since 1998 but not much has been done to educate our physicians. There has been no recomendation to pre/self-screen for these genes. Sometimes it will be advised to do so after an adverse reaction.

They are in the process of developing a next-generation of vaccines that will be "personalized" vs the "one size fits all" products in use now. Hopefully; we as health consumers will have access to them. The problem with recomending a "better" product is that consumers will want to know what was "worse" about the former one. There will be ... accountability issues.

This link focuses on the immunogenetics of HLA/Measles but also provides some information of the pricipals of the science that supports it.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2614670/

Now; I predict that by morning; this post of mine will have incurred the wrath of posters who will reply fast & furious with thousands of pages worth of links that will appear to deny what I just wrote. I will be quoted then replied to with a condescending & patronizing tone.

No matter how much I anticipate it; it will bother me but I'm gouing to hit "submit reply" anyway. I can't just sit through 600+ pages & say NOTHING.

We should not be living in fear of a PB&J.

Old 08-04-2017, 06:05 AM

Interesting.

Some people are just crazy. I again think of my sister in law who decided to not give her kids peanut butter until they turned 3 because she was afraid of them being allergic. Now they just have no interest in it yet it's one of her favorite foods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting