Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 09:29 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,253,359 times

Advertisements

The baby sat in the playpen. Happy kid, apparently healthy, but just sat. Months elapsed: 12, 13, 14... still he sat. Both his mom and his "nana" had panic attacks, thinking he had a neurological deficit. They used to massage his legs but it didn't help.

Then at 18 months, I stood up. Shortly after that began walking and never did go through a crawling stage.

Did you have any children who were this slow to walk?

By the way, younger brother was 13 months which is rather late too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2017, 10:41 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,962 times
My oldest walked at 14 months, which is not early, but I don't think it's super late either. We had no concerns about it at the time.

My youngest walked at 18 months, which is definitely late, but she is developmentally delayed. Her lack of gross motor skills were the first sign we had of her delay, but we eventually learned that the delay affected her globally (gross motor, fine motor, speech, social, cognitive).

Old 08-22-2017, 11:07 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times
My son crawled but not in a typical way. He started walking at 16 months which the doctors told me not to worry about, that it is in the later but normal range. He developed well, but not in a very typical way (i.e. his receptive speech would be vastly above his expressive and social speech).

Now as a tween. And we know he does have neurodevelopmental delays. He is very smart, but has his own struggles. I think if he were born 30 years ago people would have just said he was clumsy and didn't like school. I like knowing how his brain works so he doesn't have to always be frustrated and we can help him meet his potential, which I think is quite good.

Old 08-22-2017, 11:59 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
I wouldn't have known when the book said he should be walking. For the longest time, he went on his feet and hands, a sort of modified crawl. He was very quick and lively and no one would have ever though he was a blob. He just didn't get up on his feet until he did and from the first step, his walking was perfect.

He just didn't get up and walk until he was capable of walking. The same with potty training. One day, he announced that he would use the toilet from then on, and he did. No potty training at all, He went from diapers to toilet trained in 30 seconds.

Old 08-22-2017, 12:57 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,188,490 times
I started walking at about 16-17 months. I was perfectly capable of doing so; I just didn't. I was (and still am) an overly cautious individual. As the story's been told to me, I started walking because someone had a set of car keys and I was fascinated by them. My Mom and this guy passed them back and forth to one another and coaxed me into walking.

My oldest walked at 12 months, my youngest at 11 months.

Old 08-22-2017, 05:30 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,633 posts, read 17,968,125 times
I agree with Texas Ag. Calvert, in general, are you really cautious? I do know completely healthy kids who walk late because, well, it hurts to fall!

I'm more worried about kids who start trying to walk at 8 or 9 months, because they don't have enough fear.

Old 08-22-2017, 08:00 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,702,283 times
It's late, but not out of the realm of possibility.

My husband's niece did not walk until 20 months. She didn't really crawl either, just sat. Her frantic mother had her tested for everything from dislocated hips to muscular dystrophy, but everything came back normal. One doctor simply said she was lazy and she would eventually walk, which she did.

She's now 17 and completely normal, but not the athletic type.

Old 08-23-2017, 10:46 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times
My oldest (boy) walked at 9 months. Second (girl) at 14 months. Third (girl) 9 months). Fourth (girl) little over 8 months.

All 4 grew up with no mental or physical problems..

A normal healthy baby will walk when they are ready to.

Old 08-23-2017, 10:50 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,181,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I agree with Texas Ag. Calvert, in general, are you really cautious? I do know completely healthy kids who walk late because, well, it hurts to fall!

I'm more worried about kids who start trying to walk at 8 or 9 months, because they don't have enough fear.
I have one of each. My oldest started walking at 9 months and full out running and climbing at 10 months. She's 7 now and pushes the limits with everything.

My youngest didn't walk until 14 months. She needs to observe any situation for a while before she's willing to join, if at all.

Old 08-23-2017, 11:15 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,353,461 times
Oldest grandson did not walk until 15 months. He did this really strange "crab crawl", where he'd drag one knee and crawl on the other. It was like he was up on one knee, and down on the other. He did this for 4 months. He wore the left knee out of umpteen pairs of little jeans and overalls. Then, on the weekend I'd babysat him while his parents went away...wouldn't you know it. I tried to get him to walk the whole time. Wouldn't do it. They came back, and I had gone home and THEN it was he decided to walk!!!!! They sent me the video. It wasn't two hours after I'd left. And I missed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting