Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 11:45 PM

10,897 posts, read 7,393,957 times

Advertisements

maybe she remembers more than you think, and was "attached" to you because mama abandoned her.
I realize "abandoned" isn't what really happened, but in her view it might be.

I would talk to her about mama, and tell her the good news that mama's coming back and daughter can live with her again. Stress the happiness and joy of reunion, and promise that you'll spend time with her when you can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 06:35 AM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulitabean View Post
Thank you for the welcome and the great replies. We are not official foster parents but I attended a resource family orientation right before we got her so we could start the official process, and we hope to commence once she is back with mom.

Since we are her aunt and uncle, and we are teaching her spanish, she calls us "tio" and "tia" and she knows very well who her mom is. Until mom boarded a ship in June, they facetimed 2x times daily, and now just once a month, but she kisses her pictures on FB and IG and she has a build-a bear with mom's voice recorded. Mom sends gifts monthly from each country that she ports in, and I make sure she thanks mama for the gifts and then everytime she uses something from mom, she mentions "mama" herself and I reinforce it again.

As to mom staying with us for a few weeks, I think that would be best case scenario, but mom may have other plans. She was able to stay for Christmas week last Dec, so I think it would depend on how much time off work she gets this time and if she even wants to stay at all. Before I begin this actual conversation with her, I just wanted to prepare myself and become as knowledgeable as possible about it in the case that I may have to suggest to her potential scenarios.

I'll try contacting some professionals as well.
I already repped you, but I "must" say that you are one of the most special and caring people I have ever encountered on C-D!

Old 09-07-2017, 07:02 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,331,320 times
OP I don't have any advice, but I wanted to say THANK YOU and applaud you so much for supporting a military mom and looking out for the child. You are truly amazing!

Old 09-07-2017, 07:53 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulitabean View Post
Thank you for the welcome and the great replies. We are not official foster parents but I attended a resource family orientation right before we got her so we could start the official process, and we hope to commence once she is back with mom.

Since we are her aunt and uncle, and we are teaching her spanish, she calls us "tio" and "tia" and she knows very well who her mom is. Until mom boarded a ship in June, they facetimed 2x times daily, and now just once a month, but she kisses her pictures on FB and IG and she has a build-a bear with mom's voice recorded. Mom sends gifts monthly from each country that she ports in, and I make sure she thanks mama for the gifts and then everytime she uses something from mom, she mentions "mama" herself and I reinforce it again.

As to mom staying with us for a few weeks, I think that would be best case scenario, but mom may have other plans. She was able to stay for Christmas week last Dec, so I think it would depend on how much time off work she gets this time and if she even wants to stay at all. Before I begin this actual conversation with her, I just wanted to prepare myself and become as knowledgeable as possible about it in the case that I may have to suggest to her potential scenarios.

I'll try contacting some professionals as well.
You seem to have thought of everything, and I can't thank you enough for taking the time to do this for your sister and niece. I hope your sister knows how lucky she is.

Bravo to you.

Old 09-07-2017, 08:33 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,190,478 times
Sounds like you are doing all the right things. Sounds like she knows who mom is but it will still be a transition time when mom comes home.
Tell her thank you for your service. That has got to be tough leaving her daughter behind.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:44 AM

3 posts, read 1,914 times
Oh wow, everybody is so sweet. Thank you all for the compliments. I know her mom can't wait to return and she hopes never to leave her side again. I will definitely thank her for her service and the opportunity to have helped raise her beautiful baby. I still feel like I need to prepare for mom's arrival, so I will start to mention her a lot more from now on, as well as everything else that was adviced to me here. Thank you.

Old 09-07-2017, 10:03 AM

12,042 posts, read 8,425,882 times
You sound like a great and thoughtful Aunt. Every kid needs one.

Such a gift you have given!

Old 09-07-2017, 10:57 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,181,366 times
Something tells me this will be harder for you than for the child.

I'm glad both mom and child had you and your husband there and willing to help while she was deployed.

Best of luck.

Old 09-07-2017, 02:54 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
Both natural parents must be thrilled to have the child in their arms! What a dedicated relative you are to attend to this young one.
Yes the child will have separation anxiety...And the resilence comment is a typical way to appease the adult. The kid still has to incorporate this change of who is the mom and dad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting