Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 10:10 AM

1,166 posts, read 877,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
I think the economy is a factor that hasn't been mentioned. If you want to make a living for yourself nowadays, you need to study hard and get into college and earn a degree in the right field. You can't easily just screw around in school until you're 18 and then stumble into a union pipefitting job. Globalization in general and the 2008 recession in particular have added a level of life-or-death seriousness to education. Kids today know that goofing off in grade school will set them back for life and lead to homelessness.

Same as above, basically. Stress and depression.
I think this generation has been brainwashed into "Everybody HAS to go to college in order to get a good job", which is completely false. This BS was pushed on me all through school by teachers, principals, guidance counselors, guest speakers, etc. No everybody is cut out for college, and the more people out there that have degrees ultimately lowers the value of that degree, essentially giving it the same value as a high school diploma.

There are tons of skilled trades out there that are always going to be in demand that don't require a college education. They'll always need plumbers, electricians, construction workers, HVAC techs, mechanics, machinists, etc. Most people nowadays want a cushy job where they sit behind a desk, but those jobs are in limited supply. How often nowadays do you read about someone who went to college, got a degree, and now they can't find a job in that field, so they end up taking some other job that they could've got without that degree, and all they're left with is massive amounts of student loan debt and a useless diploma hanging on the wall. I was never a fan of school and am glad I avoided going to college, as I'm one of the few 22 year olds I know that are completely debt free. Also, in my line of work (auto mechanic) it's very easy to find another job, as shops are always looking for new techs, and cars are always breaking down and needing repairs.

Yes, for lots of jobs, college is a necessity, but we've cheapened the value of a college degree so much these days that it's nearly worthless in some fields in terms of helping you land a job. When the market is flooded with more supply than demand, lots of people are going to have to seek other employment options, likely not in their originally chosen field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2017, 10:48 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
If they are so "obedient" explain the heroin epidemic.
Except there really isn't a heroin epidemic among teenagers. Its early adults.

First opioid use age comes in about 23.5 yrs most commonly.

Old 09-14-2017, 10:54 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,753,651 times
Quote:

A teen girl who died of a fentanyl overdose in my town a couple of years ago was doing it with her mother and her mother's boyfriend. She wasn't being disobedient, they bought it for her. The current epidemic is a whole other beast than the experimenting kids were doing when I was young.

Old 09-14-2017, 11:19 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,033,401 times
Quote:
The heroin epidemic is the same as the satanic ritual abuse epidemic in the 1980s. It's an example of a "moral panic". Interesting concept to read up on

Old 09-14-2017, 11:43 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
The heroin epidemic is the same as the satanic ritual abuse epidemic in the 1980s. It's an example of a "moral panic". Interesting concept to read up on
Not if you live in my hometown, where it has been devastating, but a previous poster is right about it not being teens for the most part. It's young adults to the middle-aged.

Old 09-14-2017, 12:22 PM

1,047 posts, read 726,727 times
Default tree climbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Why just boys?
I'm a girl and had no desire to climb trees. Only knew boys did, but that is part of the problem today: everything has to have gender inclusive w it - it can never be assumed. Politics for kids.

Old 09-14-2017, 01:12 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,033,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLY_ME View Post
I'm a girl and had no desire to climb trees. Only knew boys did, but that is part of the problem today: everything has to have gender inclusive w it - it can never be assumed. Politics for kids.
I'm a girl and ONLY wanted to climb trees. Which is why you can never make assumptions.

Old 09-14-2017, 01:16 PM

Default u

Quote:
I'm a girl and ONLY wanted to climb trees. Which is why you can never make assumptions.
Calm down. Climb a tree. Read slowly what I said and please don't write me back. Thanks kindly. Lighten up. No caps.

Old 09-14-2017, 01:18 PM

Default 2

Quote:
I meant that it should be assumed all wanted to do it. But you read it differently.

Old 09-14-2017, 01:41 PM

1,347 posts, read 945,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLY_ME View Post
Calm down. Climb a tree. Read slowly what I said and please don't write me back. Thanks kindly. Lighten up. No caps.
LOL, given your user name.

This is quite the condescending post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting