Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 08:11 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times

Advertisements

I have seen a lot of 10 and up with short skirts, net stockings, loose tops and lots of gory makeup. It's Halloween, ladies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2017, 12:38 AM

10,897 posts, read 7,393,957 times
I worked at a costume rental place one Halloween. Most popular costumes for women were playboy bunnies and harem girls.

Old 10-07-2017, 12:47 AM

638 posts, read 529,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Tis the season. My daughter is just about 11 and was showing me the costume she wanted. Its from some strange cartoon from France...and the characters are pretty sexualized in their costumes. The cartoon doesn't bother me so much. But the costume she showed me looked a little like a leather S&M outfit with cat ears.

I was like

I know I have to be realistic because she is pretty much out of the little girl stage in clothing/costumes. But I am just not ready, in a million years to go to that extreme.

I told her I had to talk to her dad and I would let her know.

I am just wondering if others have to say no too?
Once my mom somewhat naively and grandmotherly bought my daughter essentially a jaguar cocktail waitress costume complete with lacy skirt and lacy gloves without fingers. This is a woman who wouldn’t let me wear leggings with lace on the bottom in 1990. Long story short, that outfit stayed at granny’s house for special tea parties with grandma.

Old 10-07-2017, 08:45 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neerwhal View Post
Once my mom somewhat naively and grandmotherly bought my daughter essentially a jaguar cocktail waitress costume complete with lacy skirt and lacy gloves without fingers. This is a woman who wouldn’t let me wear leggings with lace on the bottom in 1990. Long story short, that outfit stayed at granny’s house for special tea parties with grandma.

I think when parents become grandparents they turn into totally different people than we grew up with and yeah what we could not wear and then they turn around and tell us to lighten up . uh excuse me and who are you and what did you do with that woman who would not let me wear shorts above the knee ? thank you .

Last edited by phonelady61; 10-07-2017 at 08:45 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 10-07-2017, 10:34 AM

924 posts, read 752,019 times
I was once the child who had a Halloween costume (well, part of it, anyhow) said "No" to. I was in my early teens, was going to dress up as a rock singer, and had a brown leather vest that I wanted to wear. (it had belonged to my dad's sister)

For reasons that I can't remember, my mom said "No!" to me wearing the vest as part of my costume, but she let my brother wear it as part of his "Crocodile Dundee" costume.

Old 10-07-2017, 10:41 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Oh yeah. Girls' costumes are totally innocent up to about age 11/12 and then they look like wanna-be Playboy Bunnies. My 13-year-old wanted a Red Riding Hood costume, but when we went to the party store and I saw the style they had in her size, I had to say NO.
I so agree! I remember when my son in elementary school met up with his cousin to walk into the school with their costumes. She was 3 years younger than him . . probably 8 maybe? Anyway, she had on fishnet stockings and I can't remember the dress. I could NOT believe what I was seeing - that little girl costumes were so sexualized AND that their parents allowed them to wear it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I worked at a costume rental place one Halloween. Most popular costumes for women were playboy bunnies and harem girls.
Which is why women refer to Halloween as ****-O-Ween. Because those are the popular costumes.

Old 10-07-2017, 11:07 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane de Poitiers View Post
I was once the child who had a Halloween costume (well, part of it, anyhow) said "No" to. I was in my early teens, was going to dress up as a rock singer, and had a brown leather vest that I wanted to wear. (it had belonged to my dad's sister)

For reasons that I can't remember, my mom said "No!" to me wearing the vest as part of my costume, but she let my brother wear it as part of his "Crocodile Dundee" costume.
Me and my sister dressed up like hookers several times in our tweens/early teens and my mom was super fine with it. I cant even imagine...

Maybe she thought you looked too grown up in it. Some times my daughter tries on an outfit and it isn't "sexy" but it shocks me how grown up she looks and I am not ready for that!!!

Old 10-07-2017, 12:00 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,249,611 times
I just vetoed my son's idea of getting a spider man suit that was selling for $700 simply because that's just too much money to buy for using once a year.

Well they dropped the price to $250 and he bought it with his dog sitting money.

Old 10-07-2017, 12:14 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,507,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post

I am just wondering if others have to say no too?
Of course I would say not to costumes or clothing I don't deem appropriate for my child. That's my job. I'm the mom. I have rarely had to with my own kids, but when I do, we usually talk about why.

Old 10-07-2017, 01:05 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
I just vetoed my son's idea of getting a spider man suit that was selling for $700 simply because that's just too much money to buy for using once a year.

Well they dropped the price to $250 and he bought it with his dog sitting money.
Wow that must have been some costume!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting