Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 01:18 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times

Advertisements

Tis the season. My daughter is just about 11 and was showing me the costume she wanted. Its from some strange cartoon from France...and the characters are pretty sexualized in their costumes. The cartoon doesn't bother me so much. But the costume she showed me looked a little like a leather S&M outfit with cat ears.

I was like

I know I have to be realistic because she is pretty much out of the little girl stage in clothing/costumes. But I am just not ready, in a million years to go to that extreme.

I told her I had to talk to her dad and I would let her know.

I am just wondering if others have to say no too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2017, 01:43 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Oh yeah. Girls' costumes are totally innocent up to about age 11/12 and then they look like wanna-be Playboy Bunnies. My 13-year-old wanted a Red Riding Hood costume, but when we went to the party store and I saw the style they had in her size, I had to say NO.

Old 10-04-2017, 02:11 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,728,534 times
I nixed whatever my daughter wanted to be last year. It wasn't anything sexual; it was super gory. She was going to a youth group party and also trick-or-treating, and I wasn't going to let her go out in something legitimately scary when she'd be around a bunch of little kids. So she decided to make her own costume and was Robin (from Batman).

This year I think she is planning to go as a medieval prisoner. One of her hobbies is using stage makeup to create disgusting bloody designs. If she wants to use it, I'll let her do so for the youth group party but not for trick or treating (assuming she even wants to go... she's 14 and my son had outgrown ToTing by then).

Old 10-04-2017, 02:23 PM

407 posts, read 370,246 times
Ugh, I said no to one last week. My 10 yo son asked to be the grim reaper. After I said no, he responded "what, do you want me to be a super hero or something???? Blah." Then followed up with some other gory-type options... lovely. Should be an interesting negotiation over the next week or two.

Old 10-04-2017, 02:47 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,342,936 times
How about a link so we can see the costume? Picture?

Old 10-04-2017, 02:48 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Tis the season. My daughter is just about 11 and was showing me the costume she wanted. Its from some strange cartoon from France...and the characters are pretty sexualized in their costumes. The cartoon doesn't bother me so much. But the costume she showed me looked a little like a leather S&M outfit with cat ears.

I was like

I know I have to be realistic because she is pretty much out of the little girl stage in clothing/costumes. But I am just not ready, in a million years to go to that extreme.

I told her I had to talk to her dad and I would let her know.

I am just wondering if others have to say no too?
Lol! No, probably not. If you feel that strongly about it I would go with my gut instinct.

Old 10-04-2017, 02:50 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,342,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAviaCA View Post
Ugh, I said no to one last week. My 10 yo son asked to be the grim reaper. After I said no, he responded "what, do you want me to be a super hero or something???? Blah." Then followed up with some other gory-type options... lovely. Should be an interesting negotiation over the next week or two.
Everyone's threshold is different. I'd have no issue with such a costume.

Kind of why I'd like to see a picture of the costume the op is talking about. There are tons of sexy costumes that are inappropriate and on the other side tons of over sensitive folks.

Old 10-04-2017, 03:02 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
I have boys, but yes, one year we just said the costume idea was too gory.

I would veto a sexy costume for a daughter that age. My mom wouldn't let me wear dangly earrings when I was that age lol. She just said they were "too old for me." I accepted that (well, I pouted, of course, but I got over it, and I didn't wear the earrings).

I would say the same thing about a too-sexy costume. "It's too old for you."

Maybe you can tone it down and let her wear parts that aren't soo sexy with different shoes, black tights (instead of fishnet) under a skirt, etc

Old 10-04-2017, 03:22 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
While I do not recall having to veto any of my own children's costumes various schools (Jr.K to 5th grade) in my area have had to ban entire groups of costumes , "No zombies, No weapons (real or fake), No 'sexy' costumes, etc., etc."

Before the ban, one year we had a group of 5th graders show up in zombie costumes with full zombie make-up that was enough to make the adults have nightmares, let alone being far, far too scary for the four, five and six year olds.

Old 10-04-2017, 03:25 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,430,859 times
My daughters are 10 and almost 13. We haven't had an issue with any "sexy" costumes. Honestly, I don't think either of my daughters would have any interest in wearing sexy costume anyway. My oldest and a group of her friends are all dressing as super heroes this year. She initially wanted to be Wonder Woman, but decided to nix that when she looked at the costumes available. I think because they were all too revealing. She's going a Super Girl instead. Her choice.

I have nixed any gory costumes. My kids know to not even ask anymore. I also decorate the outside of the house, but still won't do anything gory or death-related. No tombstones or anything like that. Lots of orange and purple lights, a huge light-up Jack-o-Lantern, and a cool rotating projection on the garage with pumpkins, and bats. You don't need all the blood and guts to have fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting