Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 01:28 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times

Advertisements

Talking about vaccines on H&W, this came into my mail today and wanted to share it somewhere here...and I hope this is appropriate. I not a great fan of vaccines of any kind, there are some necessary ones and I've had a few when I was a child many moons ago.

Vaccine Nightmare | GreenMedInfo | Blog Entry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2017, 01:55 PM

37,112 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Sayer Ji:

.com website, check
website inundated with ads, check
sells supplements, check

Certified loon, check

Encyclopedia of American Loons: #1793: Sayer Ji

Pandemrix and narcolepsy:

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/co...lepsy-flu.html

Pandemrix was not licensed for use in the US. It was not used before or after the 2009 H1N1 pandemic.

"In response to the events in Europe, CDC reviewed data from the U.S. Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS) and the Vaccine Safety Datalink (VSD) and found no indication of any association between U.S.-licensed H1N1 or seasonal influenza vaccine and narcolepsy."

How the vaccine could have caused narcolepsy. Note that swine flu infection has been associated with narcolepsy, too.

https://med.stanford.edu/news/all-ne...arcolepsy.html

"Because Pandemrix was associated with an increased risk of narcolepsy, it was withdrawn from the market. But Steinman is quick to point out that, even with that risk, the vaccine was far safer than being infected with swine flu. In the United States alone, the 2009 swine flu pandemic resulted in 274,304 hospitalizations and 12,469 deaths."

There is no reason to refuse flu vaccine for your child based on concerns about narcolepsy.

Old 10-21-2017, 03:26 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Sayer Ji:

.com website, check
website inundated with ads, check
sells supplements, check

Certified loon, check

Encyclopedia of American Loons: #1793: Sayer Ji

Pandemrix and narcolepsy:

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/co...lepsy-flu.html

Pandemrix was not licensed for use in the US. It was not used before or after the 2009 H1N1 pandemic.

"In response to the events in Europe, CDC reviewed data from the U.S. Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS) and the Vaccine Safety Datalink (VSD) and found no indication of any association between U.S.-licensed H1N1 or seasonal influenza vaccine and narcolepsy."

How the vaccine could have caused narcolepsy. Note that swine flu infection has been associated with narcolepsy, too.

https://med.stanford.edu/news/all-ne...arcolepsy.html

"Because Pandemrix was associated with an increased risk of narcolepsy, it was withdrawn from the market. But Steinman is quick to point out that, even with that risk, the vaccine was far safer than being infected with swine flu. In the United States alone, the 2009 swine flu pandemic resulted in 274,304 hospitalizations and 12,469 deaths."

There is no reason to refuse flu vaccine for your child based on concerns about narcolepsy.
Oh you found me here so you can attack my info...what else is knew? I keep thinking of the word troll. Everyone here is adult and does their homework before all decisions for them or their children.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 10-21-2017 at 03:37 PM..

Old 10-21-2017, 03:37 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Oh you found me here so you can attack my info...what else is knew?
If she hadn't replied in kind, someone else would have.

Old 10-21-2017, 06:50 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,248,505 times
Ok...I did my homework:

Sayer Ji

Sayer Ji is the founder of the pseudoscience pushing website GreenMedInfo. Ji is a slightly different version of Mike Adams who runs his own pseudoscience pushing website, Natural News. To be honest, if you read a random article from either one, they sound alike, and they promote the same junk science. In case you wondering, they hate vaccines for all the same gibberish reasons that are pushed by all anti-vaccine websites.

Why are these articles bad?

Because the journals in which they were published are bad. Frontiers in Public Health (FPH) is not indexed in PubMed. And the Journal of Translational Science (JTS) is not indexed in PubMed. PubMed is one of the most valued resources in searching for biomedical articles, even in obscure journals. Both FPH and JTS lack an impact factor. As we mentioned above, both FPH and JTS are published by predatory publishers (one of the possible reasons that the journals are not indexed). There is nothing positive to say about these journals.
I wrote previously about what makes these articles so bad, but here’s a quick review. They use questionnaires instead of medical records, which brings in parental confirmation and observation bias to the research. The questionnaires only target home schooled children an internally biased group. Small study population. And many more issues

Old 10-21-2017, 06:57 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
I don't know anyone who would take medical recommendations from a blog ...written by someone with a Bachelor's degree in biology and an internship in journalism.

Old 10-21-2017, 08:42 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,342,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I don't know anyone who would take medical recommendations from a blog ...written by someone with a Bachelor's degree in biology and an internship in journalism.
Unfortunately there are a lot of people that do. Fits their confirmation bias.

Tons of people consider reading some quacks blog "research".

Old 10-22-2017, 12:20 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,099,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr60/nvsr60_03.pdf
Which is odd; given that the CDC states number of deaths from “influenza” as 2,819 (page 38, Table 10). There is no special designation for Swine Flu.

Now if you just go by Table B (page 5), it states deaths from “influenza AND pneumonia (which is more commonly bacterial vs viral)“ as 53,692. The crude death rate is calculated at 17.5 for that combined cause of death. Which is actually down from the 2008 rate at 21.6.

And since the thread is about children, the death rate from both influenza & pneumonia, for infants under 12 months was 5.9. Ages 1-4 was 0.9. Ages 5-14 was 0.6 & ages 15-24 was 1.0. (Table 9, page 34). Compared to ages 65-74 at 30.1, ages 75-84 at 105.9 & ages 85 & older at 413.5?

Children appear to have had a low-risk of dying from “influenza & pneumonia” & an even lower risk from dying from “just influenza”. And if that’s a Pandemic year, being ... lower than the non-pandemic year before?

Well, as you know, I’ve acknowledged that I’m mathematically challenged so I won’t come to conclusions here & now. I’m still sort of stuck on how they were able to state that Swine Flu killed 12,469 people when “All Flu but Only The Flu”; killed 2,819.

Old 10-22-2017, 12:50 AM

37,112 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr60/nvsr60_03.pdf
Which is odd; given that the CDC states number of deaths from “influenza” as 2,819 (page 38, Table 10). There is no special designation for Swine Flu.

Now if you just go by Table B (page 5), it states deaths from “influenza AND pneumonia (which is more commonly bacterial vs viral)“ as 53,692. The crude death rate is calculated at 17.5 for that combined cause of death. Which is actually down from the 2008 rate at 21.6.

And since the thread is about children, the death rate from both influenza & pneumonia, for infants under 12 months was 5.9. Ages 1-4 was 0.9. Ages 5-14 was 0.6 & ages 15-24 was 1.0. (Table 9, page 34). Compared to ages 65-74 at 30.1, ages 75-84 at 105.9 & ages 85 & older at 413.5?

Children appear to have had a low-risk of dying from “influenza & pneumonia” & an even lower risk from dying from “just influenza”. And if that’s a Pandemic year, being ... lower than the non-pandemic year before?

Well, as you know, I’ve acknowledged that I’m mathematically challenged so I won’t come to conclusions here & now. I’m still sort of stuck on how they were able to state that Swine Flu killed 12,469 people when “All Flu but Only The Flu”; killed 2,819.
Adult influenza deaths are not reportable, so they are estimated. The 2,819 were the ones that were reported; they are not all the deaths.

Here is where the larger number comes from, an estimate that corrects for underreporting. The estimate of 12,469 has a range from 8,868 to 18,306.

https://academic.oup.com/cid/article...093/cid/ciq012

"From 12 April 2009 to 10 April 2010, we estimate that approximately 60.8 million cases (range: 43.3–89.3 million), 274 304 hospitalizations (195 086–402 719), and 12 469 deaths (8868–18 306) occurred in the United States due to pH1N1. Eighty-seven percent of deaths occurred in those under 65 years of age with children and working adults having risks of hospitalization and death 4 to 7 times and 8 to 12 times greater, respectively, than estimates of impact due to seasonal influenza covering the years 1976–2001. In our study, adults 65 years of age or older were found to have rates of hospitalization and death that were up to 75% and 81%, respectively, lower than seasonal influenza."

Deaths of children under 18 are reportable.

See figure 1 here. Note the 2009 figures.

http://pediatrics.aappublications.or...-1493.full.pdf

Old 10-22-2017, 06:29 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,247,964 times
The pandemrix thing happened in my country, they're still investigating the connection (three studies happening this year at least). Have to admit it did scare me off the flu vaccine for a while, but it seems there might be a connection between swine flu itself and narcolepsy so not just the vaccine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting