Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 07:48 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,633 posts, read 17,968,125 times

Advertisements

bella, it sounds like you're about to make a big mistake.

Does your mother know of your plan to leave and to live with your girlfriend "for awhile", whatever that means? You are jumping out of an airplane without a parachute.

I don't know what it was you did that your mother "didn't like", but you are cutting off your nose to spite your face.

And yes, if you want to change the insurance on your car or the billing info on your phone, you'll have to buy "a whole new one" that's in your name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2018, 09:08 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Since you are 17, I'm assuming the car is technically under your mother's name. You'd actually need her to go through whatever procedure your state has to transfer the title to you. Now, whether or not she does that all depends on what exactly your situation is with her and who bought the car and such.

As for getting insurance when you turn 18, I thought everyone did that regardless of if they move out of their parents house or not. I've had my own policy since I legally could.

Old 02-13-2018, 09:34 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,757,327 times
I still have my 20-something-year-old son's car insurance on my policy. It's much cheaper that way (multi-car discount). He pays me for it every month along with his "room and board" fees.

OP (original poster), please work things out with your mom, unless she is just emotionally toxic or physically abusive. It will be easier for you to go to school/save up money, etc., if you are living at home or if you and your mom can get along well enough for her to be willing to help you out by leaving the car insurance on her policy.

And, as the others have said, she would also have to be willing to sign the car over to you so that you legally own it before you can get your own insurance on it. But, given your age, and especially if you are male, it will likely be much higher without that multi-car discount.

Old 02-15-2018, 02:32 AM

1,058 posts, read 676,440 times
To have a policy in your name, the car must be registered to you. It will be significantly higher- I quoted a 23 year old girl the other day and it was like 450 a month.

It also depends what State you live in- GA and SC have higher rates. If you get a quote, make sure you get every discount your eligible for...goodbdriving, accident free, drivers training, good student, etc

Also, your mom may also be able to release the credit of the current ins. Policy to you. That also would help with the rate.

Old 02-15-2018, 07:52 PM

830 posts, read 744,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilly9244 View Post
To have a policy in your name, the car must be registered to you. It will be significantly higher- I quoted a 23 year old girl the other day and it was like 450 a month.

It also depends what State you live in- GA and SC have higher rates. If you get a quote, make sure you get every discount your eligible for...goodbdriving, accident free, drivers training, good student, etc

Also, your mom may also be able to release the credit of the current ins. Policy to you. That also would help with the rate.
That's really high - my rates have never been that high nor even close for full coverage on a new/newer (owned outright) vehicle, a terrible driving record with a suspension and sr-22...DH had a DUI 6 months after mine was reinstated and we were still under $200/month for full coverage on two (not financed) new vehicles, me being 22. I wonder if it's his credit...? Our state... college grades at the time? If you get married before 25, you get the 25 discount then I was told...own a home discount...?
*ETA, basically I feel very lucky after reading this!

Although it's been 6-7 years since either of us have had a ticket & we still pay $150 on both cars. I could probably shop around, but lazy.

$450 is really a lot! That's gotta be more or as much as a car payment...poor girl.

Also op, if you pay the 6 months in full you shave off a bit.

Old 03-12-2018, 06:46 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdefg567 View Post
That's really high - my rates have never been that high nor even close for full coverage on a new/newer (owned outright) vehicle, a terrible driving record with a suspension and sr-22...DH had a DUI 6 months after mine was reinstated and we were still under $200/month for full coverage on two (not financed) new vehicles, me being 22. I wonder if it's his credit...? Our state... college grades at the time? If you get married before 25, you get the 25 discount then I was told...own a home discount...?
*ETA, basically I feel very lucky after reading this!

Although it's been 6-7 years since either of us have had a ticket & we still pay $150 on both cars. I could probably shop around, but lazy.

$450 is really a lot! That's gotta be more or as much as a car payment...poor girl.

Also op, if you pay the 6 months in full you shave off a bit.

Consider yourself VERY lucky or you were with a non-standard crappy company. Most standard A+ rated carriers won't even take someone that had a DUI or a suspension let alone insure someone for under $200 a month. And the carrier does make a difference if you're in an accident! The OP is better off staying on the parents policy and giving the payment to the parents.

Old 03-12-2018, 09:22 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilly9244 View Post

OMG! $450 a month! It's been a couple of years since our daughter was on our car insurance but it was something like $20 a month to add the car she was driving. Now, it was an older car and it was in my name, but it would have been ridiculous for her to spend thousands of dollars a year just so the car insurance would be in her name.

Old 03-13-2018, 02:50 PM

2,053 posts, read 1,527,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellacortes9 View Post
I am currently 17, going to be 18 in April, and my car is insured under my mom's name, however, I pay her the car insurance bill each month. My mom recently took away my phone and car for something that I did that she didn't like. Once I turn 18, I plan to move into my friends house for awhile and insure the car under my name along with my phone (which I also pay the bill for monthly), is this legal? Or would I have to buy a whole new car and new phone and register them under my name?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellacortes9 View Post
okay i will research more on the cost of everything before making a rash decision but I want to live with my friend and she lives with her parents and already made sure i was okay for me to stay there for a while

What do you mean that you will be staying with your friend and her parents 'for a while'? Is a while two weeks, two months, two years? What will you be contributing to the household? Do you have a job so that you can pay for the car insurance, your phone, your clothing and incidentals (health insurance, entertainment, etc) and contribute financially to your friends parents (you know, paying rent)? Are you getting a job, going to college, what?

And what is the back up plan in case this doesn't work out and they ask you to leave sooner than you planned?

Please make sure that you have thought this over carefully and know most of the pros and cons of moving into your friends house. Make sure that this isn't an angry response to your mothers punishment (How dare she punish me when I am an adult!).

Old 03-16-2018, 07:31 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,700,185 times
Financially, you could leverage your Mom's insurance (and those lower rates) for a few years until you've established that you are a safe driver. Depending on your situation, I think you can do that until 21 or 22. Then you could get your own, but you'd get a better rate than what you'd probably pay today.

However, you probably should patch up things with your mom as well. Some parents don't deal well with their kids becoming independent. That might be mostly a control issue, but maybe a conversation with her about how you are 18 and want to take on more responsibility (pay your own cell phone if you aren't already, pay your insurance/gas/maintenance) - maybe chip in for rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting