Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2018, 03:11 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,647,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
A little Dramamine goes a long way.
A little Dramamine can go a long way toward killing them accidently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
If I was on that flight...I don't care whose kid it is...I would shut him up if the parents won't.
o.m.g. do you have or ever had children ? God help them.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
...snipped....

Maybe the child has an inner ear problem or something but that wouldn't explain why he was such a terrorist before the plane even took off.
Sometimes children on the spectrum will be extremely sensitive in their hearing. One of my grandsons, as a new baby, would scream uncontrollably, when he was driven in a car, enough that he would lose his breath. Now, it is recognized as part of his Aspergers and his hearing is still extremely acute. He is 14.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post

This kid in the video was something else though. Maybe autism?
possibly, probably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
If I were to guess the kid has autism and kids like that can not be reasoned with. I do feel badly for the mom in a way, she was very aware that everyone on that plane hated her and her kid. But lordy something should have been done before they took off, the problem was obvious then.
I was in a restaurant with my grandson when he was 3-4 years old. He would scream out a couple of times and refused his meal. The people at the next table were whispering about him as I was trying to work with him. I finally got him somewhat calm and then confronted the next table. I apologized for disturbing them but also said what they were doing was not helpful. They apologized and asked could they help. I appreciated that.

My now, 56 and 55 and 47 year old children, were universally praised when they were toddlers about their behavior in restaurants or generally out in public. (no plane rides). But their father was very, very strict and he put the fear of God into them if they minimally misbehaved, by his standards. Too strict, in my mind but it controlled them absolutely. Many onlookers would have and did agree. There are many degrees of the ability of young children to be seen and not heard. Unfortunately, some parents go overboard and some don't do enough, to the detriment of the children. With a child on the spectrum, they should probably not be on airplanes unless absolutely necessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2018, 03:17 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,491,610 times
The mother and child should have been removed from the plane before takeoff.

Old 02-17-2018, 04:25 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,764,237 times
Here is the hospital link regarding children and diphenhydramine-benadryl dosage

Diphenhydramine (Benadryl - Allergy Medicine) Dosage Table for Children | St. Louis Children's Hospital

As with most medications it refers to body weight AND age for dosing.

Old 02-17-2018, 04:37 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,581,942 times
I never forget there's a video of a kid trashing a dollar store. There's someone filming him. The kid turns and raises his hand toward the cameraman who responds "Do you want to die?" The kid backs down. Not safe for work but just search for "Jit goes Ham"

Sorry, I will mind my business and let the kid scream his head off the whole flight but if he touches me, he will get the fool slapped out of him.

Old 02-17-2018, 04:59 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,061,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
The mother and child should have been removed from the plane before takeoff.
I wondered about this. Wasn't the airline concerned about safety? It isn't just that he was yelling. He was on top of seats...planes do regularly hit turbulence but even if they didn't that kid could have planted directly down and broken his neck. And running through the aisles and shoving people...it seems dangerous all around.

If the video is accurate including the timing, a whole bunch of this stuff was happening before takeoff. It wasn't a surprise once they were up in the air or something.

Old 02-17-2018, 05:09 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,764,237 times
Some battles are easier to fight than others... plus there is the social outcry and bad press... or it could simply be keeping to the schedule and hoping for the best.

Anyone's guess I would imagine.

Parenting, medical issues, suitability for travel... could all be factors.

Last night I viewed a PBS presentation on Maya Angelou... I was fascinated that she at age 3 along with her 4 year old brother traveled by train unaccompanied from California to Arkansas...

When Angelou was three and her brother four, their parents' "Calamitous" marriage ended, and their father sent them to Stamps, Arkansas, alone by train, to live with their paternal grandmother

As a kid we had neighbors from Peoria... at age 10 their son traveled unaccompanied from California to Illinois and back... he said it was one of the best memories of his childhood and was life changing in all the good ways...

In many ways, kids today have far more latitude today when it comes to behavior...

I've done the transatlantic flights with kids from 14 months to 10 many times... never an issue... I'm sure I lucked out and can't take credit for luck... but I also find setting expectations and presenting things in a way a child can understand in advance and reinforcing it goes a very long way...

With the 14 month old... it was pointing to planes flying overhead saying soon we will be flying to a place with real castle and story books... getting the map and showing plus saying it is so far away we will travel all night and won't get there to the next day... that 14 month old awoke each day for a week asking if today was airplane day... and she was very much her own person... happy to see anyone and everyone...

She is 17 now and I said just how happy I am being her godparent and how we never had a single problem... she said that is because adults often simply tell kids what to do whereas I always explained things in a way she could understand... another technique is having a job for everyone... even if that means taking care of your carry-on at age 4 and helping in preparing for travel...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 02-17-2018 at 05:18 PM..

Old 02-17-2018, 05:22 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,304,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
That winky winky eustacian tube giggle-wink resulted in 7 ear infections before age two and ear tubes for two years (two surgeries) as well as partial deafness until the issue was finally resolved. My son suffered so frequently that my boss threatened to fire me for missing so much work. He was beginning to doubt any child could be sick so often and require so may doctor's visits.

As for the allergy tie-in, well, this is an odd coincidence. My son did and does suffer from allergies, diagnosed obviously by an allergist after a preliminary diagnosis by the ped.

In addition, I said this before but you may have missed it: even a full age-appropriate dose of Benadryl had never made my child sleepy or quiet. He had obviously taken it quite a few times previously. We and the doctor knew it was not going to sedate him. We knew it wasn't even going to winky-winky sedate him. Just nope.

Your "feeling" is wrong. Then again, you're not a doctor.

As for parents accidentally double dosing, well, thank God that couldn't happen with any other medication. Just Benadryl.

You can relax. We have actual physicians to advise us on our children's health. This trumps someone on the internet any day. I'm sorry, I defer to the professionals, as should anyone.
How does double dosing even happen? One parent in charge of giving meds, the other parent is in charge of making sure the kids got them. I med, and hubs makes sure to remind me to check that I did med.

Frankly, I feel for the child here. Clearly this is not normal behavior, and he’s telling people in the clearest terms he can this isn't working for him. Poor kid.

Old 02-18-2018, 12:01 AM

121 posts, read 106,253 times
Liked the old days when kids didn't go on plane trips until age 8 at least...Sit down restaurants were for adults.

Old 02-18-2018, 04:49 AM

24,573 posts, read 18,346,221 times
I’d just let my emotional support dog deal with it.

Old 02-18-2018, 11:36 AM

292 posts, read 571,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misnomed View Post
Liked the old days when kids didn't go on plane trips until age 8 at least...Sit down restaurants were for adults.
Maybe they should start adding sound proof booths to planes and restaurants

Probably not the plane though, as the seats are getting smaller and more crammed together.

Maybe they can just ride in the cargo hold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting