Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 02:18 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Not all dogs lick. I had a lovely Husky that maybe licked me 5 times in the 14 years she lived. She also didn't bark at much of anything, was Extremely timid and gentle while also being very tolerant. I used her as an unregistered therapy dog several times.
I've read that Huskies and Malamutes are incredibly gentle and cuddly. For that reason, they're not good guard dogs. They seem to be the most non-aggressive breeds. Just fyi, OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2018, 02:29 PM

134 posts, read 96,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForLoveOnly View Post
My dogs love kids and also loves to give them "kisses". I usually joke that they are just "taste testing". Surprisingly most laugh when I say that.

I do make my dogs sit and stay so the kid can approach them. That always works better then having a dog approach a kid.

While I understand that your concern is for your child, I would never allow anyone into my home if they acted like her. It could stress trigger even the most docile animal into different behavior.

I have seen it happen and honestly, I would be pretty upset if I had to deal with that in my house. I would probably just avoid the possibility by not inviting her over or I would actually offer to work with her to overcome that fear or at least try to teach her how to control her behavior caused by it.

There was some good advice offered by others on how to get your daughter over her fear. For her own safety she needs to avoid screaming and running. Good luck.
I appreciate the advice from a dog owners perspective. Going back to my original question, so, what do I do if someone I get along with and perhaps has been to my house, invites me to their house who has a dog. Do I just politely decline?

Old 03-08-2018, 02:59 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,134,122 times
I have been afraid of dogs since I was small and knocked over by one. There were several incidents after that as well and I am still have a phobia of them to the point of panic. I also have a phobia of Thunder and lightening.
I strongly suggest you get professional help instead of trying things yourself which may make it worse.

Old 03-08-2018, 03:02 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times
OP, my daughter (who is turning 12 in 2 weeks) is also terrified of dogs and her 9 year old sister LOVES dogs!! She has always been scared of them and hates being around them! If we ever went to anyone's house that had a dog I would have to explain to them how scared she is of dogs and they are usually kind enough to put the dog in another room until we leave.

Well last year she started to like little dogs until she was at her friends house and their dog bit her on her side. It barely punctured her skin, but it still made a mark. That completely freaked her out! Now, if she knows someone has a dog she will not even go to their house. I suppose I could take her to counseling, but it's the only animal she's truly scared of and after getting bit, I don't blame her for being scared. So if we go somewhere where I know there will be a dog I explain to them the situation. I have only had one person tell me they don't understand and that was my mother in-law! She refuses to put her dog away. So when we go there my daughter just makes it a point to stay away from her dog, but is still very scared! Everyone else understands my daughters fear and has no problem keeping their dogs put away while we're over. To be honest, after what happened last year if someone didn't understand (besides my MIL) I wouldn't go to their home. My child is more important.

Old 03-08-2018, 03:05 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times
The Saturday morning dog training shows have covered your issues several times. Read up on the advice from Cesar Millan, the dog whisperer, and Lucky Dog star Brandon McMillan. Youtube may have some help as well.

https://www.cesarsway.com/
Lucky Dog I Emmy Winning Series on CBS | Brandon McMillan's Canine Minded

Old 03-08-2018, 03:10 PM

407 posts, read 370,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcmm-78 View Post
I appreciate the advice from a dog owners perspective. Going back to my original question, so, what do I do if someone I get along with and perhaps has been to my house, invites me to their house who has a dog. Do I just politely decline?
I would let the friend know of your daughter's fear. If the friend says they'll keep the dog in the backyard/crate/etc., accept the invitation. Try to prepare your daughter as best as you can (dog will be kept away, but if it gets out, don't scream and run...) but be prepared to leave if your daughter has a rough time.

If the friend downplays your concern, then - assuming going without your daughter isn't possible - I'd politely decline.

Old 03-08-2018, 03:22 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
OP, my daughter (who is turning 12 in 2 weeks) is also terrified of dogs and her 9 year old sister LOVES dogs!! She has always been scared of them and hates being around them! If we ever went to anyone's house that had a dog I would have to explain to them how scared she is of dogs and they are usually kind enough to put the dog in another room until we leave.

Well last year she was at her friends house and their dog bit her on her side. It barely punctured her skin, but it still made a mark. Now, if she knows someone has a dog she will not even go to their house. I suppose I could take her to counseling, but it's the only animal she's truly scared of and after getting bit, I don't blame her for being scared. So if we go somewhere where I know there will be a dog I explain to them the situations. I have yet to have anyone tell me they don't understand and they keep their dogs away while we're over.
IMHO, you should take her to counseling. Dogs are all over the place, walking your neighborhood, in parks, in shops, on planes, etc. You never know when she may encounter a dog.

I knew a woman who was afraid of pigeons from when she was a child. Her parents laughed off her fear and figured that it would get better as she got older. It actually got worse and worse as the years progressed. She missed activities and celebrations because she would not go into a building if she saw pigeons on the roof. She even missed a wedding because she refused to get out of the car because she saw pigeons on wires near the church. Other than this one fear or phobia she is a bright, articulate woman. She raised two children and has several grandchildren and vows that if they ever exhibit fears or phobias she would make sure that they get help because she does not want them to face the same problems that she has faced.

Of course, every situation is different. Your daughter may "grow out" of her fears, but then again they may get worse or she may start to fear other things, too.

Old 03-08-2018, 03:29 PM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
You might try introducing her to a small puppy.
No puppies!

Puppies chew with needle teeth and lick and they have sharp claws that scratch. Happy puppies with good temperaments try to climb up onto people. That is not the right encounter for a child afraid of dogs who doesn't want to be licked.

My beautiful sweet loving Pensive had dragon claws when she was a puppy. The slightest touch from her was like a caress from a samurai sword. I went to the doctor three weeks after I got the puppy (for a non puppy related issue) and my doctor was going to call the elder abuse hotline because my arms were slashed and bruised and bloodied. I had some trouble convincing her it was a new puppy.

Any child who got face time with her would have looked like they barely escaped from Jack The Ripper, and this was a gentle natured pup with quite nice manners.

No puppies. A nice mature adult dog with a history of loving children who will be calm and still and not bump or jump.

Old 03-08-2018, 05:30 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
IMHO, you should take her to counseling. Dogs are all over the place, walking your neighborhood, in parks, in shops, on planes, etc. You never know when she may encounter a dog.

I knew a woman who was afraid of pigeons from when she was a child. Her parents laughed off her fear and figured that it would get better as she got older. It actually got worse and worse as the years progressed. She missed activities and celebrations because she would not go into a building if she saw pigeons on the roof. She even missed a wedding because she refused to get out of the car because she saw pigeons on wires near the church. Other than this one fear or phobia she is a bright, articulate woman. She raised two children and has several grandchildren and vows that if they ever exhibit fears or phobias she would make sure that they get help because she does not want them to face the same problems that she has faced.

Of course, every situation is different. Your daughter may "grow out" of her fears, but then again they may get worse or she may start to fear other things, too.
Thanks for your concern, but my daughter isn't scared of anything besides dogs and it's more or less only bigger dogs. She's very outgoing and this doesn't stop her from doing anything, but you also have to remember that she was also bit by a dog, so that didn't help either.

Old 03-08-2018, 05:39 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,394,892 times
i like dogs, i like dogs that like me, some breeds i adore. but im terrified of other breeds to, like the mix pit bull breed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting