Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 11:00 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times

Advertisements

We typically go by whoever does the inviting. We pay if we invite my mom somwhere, and she'll pay if she invites us out. If its the entire family going out for a holiday or birthday celebration, then my parents pay. My dad usually only goes out for holidays/big celebrations, but on the rare occasion he's with us we usually pay for our own meals. Unless its just me and my parents, then they typically always pay.

I think its the same when they go out with my siblings, but it's not something we've ever really talked about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 12:40 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,593,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inahandbasket View Post
We have two grown children in their mid-twenties with spouses (no kids of their own) all fully employed with decent salaries and little debt. My wife always insists that we (the parents) should foot the bill when we go out to eat. We are looking at retiring in less than ten years and I think it’s about time we all go Dutch. She’s having a really hard time letting go of this practice. I say the kids are adults and need to add this going dutch habit to their “adulting” practice.

Feedback?

Yes, if they have good incomes and little debt, they should now be paying your restaurant tab, not the opposite.

Old 03-12-2018, 06:14 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inahandbasket View Post
We have two grown children in their mid-twenties with spouses (no kids of their own) all fully employed with decent salaries and little debt. My wife always insists that we (the parents) should foot the bill when we go out to eat. We are looking at retiring in less than ten years and I think it’s about time we all go Dutch. She’s having a really hard time letting go of this practice. I say the kids are adults and need to add this going dutch habit to their “adulting” practice.

Feedback?
It depends upon who is inviting the others for dinner. When we invite we pay.

Perhaps you should personally plan, the next dinner out and tell your kids when you call that it is Dutch treat.

Old 03-12-2018, 07:03 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times
My kids are still young, but when they are olderI will probably pay for their meal until they make more than me, then they can pay for mine!

Old 03-12-2018, 07:38 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,585,698 times
Our parents always pay even though we’re in our late 30s/early 50s with well paying jobs. They won’t give it up so we stopped arguing it. But they both retired well off and have the means to do so and it’s a matter of pride for them I think. When we are able to slyly get the check it turns into a big deal where they freak out.

We’ll probably do the same assuming we’re able to.

Old 03-12-2018, 07:45 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,095,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
Our parents always pay even though we’re in our late 30s/early 50s with well paying jobs. They won’t give it up so we stopped arguing it. But they both retired well off and have the means to do so and it’s a matter of pride for them I think. When we are able to slyly get the check it turns into a big deal where they freak out.

We’ll probably do the same assuming we’re able to.

Same in my family. When my father was alive, he took care of everyone at the table...family or not. My mother still takes care of all of us when we go out, but, lately, I've been trying to sneak the tab and treat her.

Old 03-12-2018, 08:40 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,700,185 times
I'm on the other end of the conversation. I have kids but they aren't of age to pay. I still have my parents and they used to exclusively pay for me until I probably got my first career job when I was 22. After that, they'd do it as a treat. Sometimes they would, sometimes they wouldn't. Even now, if they come to visit, my father will outright say "we want to treat you to dinner." And when they are in my house, I cook them dinner. Sometimes I take them out to dinner.

I never felt it was awkward when we transitioned from "parents pay all the time" to "I'm expected to pay, but sometimes we treat each other to dinner." If anything, I remember surprising them with treating them to dinner. It was probably a proud moment for everyone involved.

Old 03-12-2018, 10:48 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
I pay for mine because she is a student even though she is 26. She has supported herself, however, since she got her Bachelors' degrees four years ago, so I don't mind treating her. She lives frugally.

Old 03-12-2018, 11:26 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
My parents mostly pay for mine. My grandmother always does. It's not worth fighting them over it. If I get alcohol out, I'll pay for my own meal.

Old 03-12-2018, 02:02 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,057,039 times
Many of the post don't seem to understand that deference to your folks if they decide to pay for a meal is simply respect for your parents wishes. No one can buy your respect. It must be freely given when you love someone .....like your folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting