Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 05:09 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,779,882 times

Advertisements

I was wondering what time people put their small kids to bed and do you let them stay up later on weekends, etc? What time do they wake up in the morning?

My 4 yr old goes to bed around 7:30 and wakes up between 6:30 and 7:00
On weekends we let her stay up until a little past 8pm. Just wondering what others do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 05:20 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,230,824 times
6pm for baby (8 months) and 7pm for toddler (3), the only exception is if we have visitors then the toddler gets an extra hour if he wants.

Old 07-13-2013, 05:31 AM

861 posts, read 2,717,331 times
DS is a year & a half and goes to bed around 7:30pm pretty much every night.
If we are out or at a family party we've tried to keep him up a little later, but it rarely works out. He is very much a creature of habit, and any time past 8pm he turns into an absolute bear.
Plus there's the added bonus that keeping him up later does NOT mean he sleeps any later. Nope, always up by 6:30am no matter when he goes to sleep.
So we tend to stick to that 7:30pm - 6:30am schedule since it works. As he gets older we'll follow his cues and re-examine.

Old 07-13-2013, 07:18 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,723,533 times
Our general rule was that bedtime was 8:00, but it wasn't hard and fast. It really depended on what was going on. Since I was a SAHM, they didn't have to get up early to go to a babysitter or anything, so they could sleep in if they wanted/needed to.

Old 07-13-2013, 07:26 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,246,455 times
My daughter is 2 and a half and she goes to bed when she is tired. Its usually between 8 and 9 but sometimes she is just not tired enough until later, or is knackered and goes to bed at 6. I let her stay up later if we're visiting her friend as her friend goes to bed pretty late or she stays up later if the occasion demands it (like travelling, when we went for a weekend trip she didn't get to bed the first night til 2am!)
She gets up usually around 10 o'clock- she's not a morning person.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:37 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,584,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
I was wondering what time people put their small kids to bed and do you let them stay up later on weekends, etc? What time do they wake up in the morning?

On weekends we let her stay up until a little past 8pm. Just wondering what others do?
We don't have a set bedtime for our 4 year old. It's usually between 8 and 10, though. Whenever we get home and he's tired enough and we've managed to get him bathed and fed and into bed. He gets up about 8:30 or 9, maybe later if he's gone to bed later. During the school year we are more consistent about it, but it's rarely before 9. Weekends don't make any difference, since we don't work a normal work week.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:39 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,584,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
My daughter is 2 and a half and she goes to bed when she is tired. Its usually between 8 and 9 but sometimes she is just not tired enough until later, or is knackered and goes to bed at 6. I let her stay up later if we're visiting her friend as her friend goes to bed pretty late or she stays up later if the occasion demands it (like travelling, when we went for a weekend trip she didn't get to bed the first night til 2am!)
She gets up usually around 10 o'clock- she's not a morning person.
I'm glad we're not the only ones who do this. I actually don't understand how people with strict bedtimes actually manage to make that happen. I mean, if ours doesn't want to sleep, nothing short of tying him to the bed would keep him there.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:45 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,246,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
I'm glad we're not the only ones who do this. I actually don't understand how people with strict bedtimes actually manage to make that happen. I mean, if ours doesn't want to sleep, nothing short of tying him to the bed would keep him there.
I think some children really respond well to strict routine but it sounds like so much hard work for the parents! Wouldn't work for my daughter though, everytime I've tried to introduce a set bedtime or routine she has slept much worse so now I just let her bodyclock decide (for instance she's napping right now, she never naps usually but she needed it. She probably won't go to bed til 10 or 11 tonight but nevermind)

Old 07-13-2013, 08:46 AM

2,569 posts, read 7,741,192 times
My kids are no longer little; 10, 15, and fully grown manchild... but we never had bedtimes until they were in school. I was a SAHM though. I have always been a night owl and I wanted to sleep in, so they went to bed usually right when I did, or maybe an hour or two before, and I got to have coffee in the morning and check email and so forth in quiet while they slept a bit.

My mother was regularly scandalized that I would hit the 24 hour grocery with both kids at 11pm, when no one else was there, to get my grocery shopping done, and then be coming home with groceries after midnight and the kids up for another hour after. Whatever though.. I didn't see any point in worrying about bedtime as long as they got plenty of sleep and even without an official "bedtime" they still had a pretty routine and predictable sleep schedule so it was all good.

Once the oldest started getting closer to school age I started slowly upping the bedtime and conforming to a more 'standard' schedule. I still hate it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
I think some children really respond well to strict routine but it sounds like so much hard work for the parents! Wouldn't work for my daughter though, everytime I've tried to introduce a set bedtime or routine she has slept much worse so now I just let her bodyclock decide (for instance she's napping right now, she never naps usually but she needed it. She probably won't go to bed til 10 or 11 tonight but nevermind)
I've always had a tendency to sleep on a "flipped" schedule when I just let my body decide and I have seen this in the older two kids, but the younger one is more of a natural morning person. Funny how it's different for an individual person/child. She was always the odd one out who would get up at six or seven a.m. no matter what time she went to bed! She's not that extreme now (at 10) but she was very different from the other two who have proven to be night owls as well.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:51 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,222,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post

When my children were little they were in bed at 8m with lights out at 9:00pm, they had an hour to read, or play to relax before lights out.

As they got older it was in bed at 9:00pm with lights out at 10:00pm. Obviously as they got older or if it was summer time they were allowed to stay outside until dark but they always got one hour in their rooms before it was lights out.

It gave them a chance to wind down from the events of the day and be relaxed enough that they have always slept all night (unless they were ill) and always refreshed in the morning with no issues about getting up and starting their day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting