Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 08:25 AM

1,299 posts, read 823,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
I don't get why people who are fine with strapping a toddler down in a stroller aren't also okay with leashes. At least the leash gives the kids some leeway to explore and get exercise.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
I have seen a harness and leash on a child around here, only a few times in my life and not for several decades. But I always saw it as a problem with the parents, not with the children. If such constraints were really necessary, you'd see them much more often.
They might be around, but you might not notice them nowadays - there are popular ones that look like backpacks, often in an animal shape with the leash being the tail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrike1 View Post
My mother certainly could have used one on me if they were available in the 50's. I was very ADHD and had a horrid tendency to sneak off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Oh, but they were available then! My mom had the two of us 13 months apart, me being the older. I was on a leash and DB was in a stroller, ca 1950.
My mom used them on my twin brother and I in the 60s as well.

I used a wrist one very briefly when my daughter could walk, but was too short for us to hold hands comfortably. She didn't turn out to be much of a runner, so I was lucky in that regard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2018, 08:25 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,385,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Why do people care if other people judge them?
Because we're only human. Nobody likes being judged. That should be a no-brainer.

Old 06-01-2018, 08:55 AM

723 posts, read 1,005,332 times
Default agree 100 percent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I rarely used a leash. But for crowded situations, I would. Like...we're at the zoo. I've got a 4 yr. old, and a 2 yr. old, and the zoo is crowded, and I can't very well wrestle with both at the same time.

Could've used a stroller I guess (for the 2 yr. old) but the boy wants to roam.
When we went places like the ZOO with three little ones all close in age we would dress all 3 in the same bright "team" color so we wouldn't lose them. That and a double tandem stroller was how we did it.

Old 06-01-2018, 09:52 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,545,986 times
I'd far rather see a mother use one, than have her child get hurt, kidnapped or killed by running free in a dangerous place.

I used one on one of my sons and it was very handy keeping him near me in a store... otherwise he'd run and hide from me.

Old 06-01-2018, 10:08 AM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times
never had to use one on my child, but, I understand, why parents do, especially today with all the dangers out there....I would..especially in public.

Old 06-01-2018, 10:58 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,953,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post

The argument usually boils down to mothers must be either too lazy to teach their children to not wander; or, too attentive to their phone instead of their child. Or some version of that, with the necessary result being children with no self control who grow up thinking they are dogs. Seriously. It's bizarre.
My mother used one back in 1969, when she had a 2 year old and a newborn to keep track of, and most of the time my father was either at work or in night school, so she was on her own with the 2 of them.

Old 06-01-2018, 12:49 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I guess because we're social animals. If we were cats, we wouldn't care. I both care less and judge others less as I have gotten older.
Yep.

Old 06-01-2018, 12:51 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
My mother used one back in 1969, when she had a 2 year old and a newborn to keep track of, and most of the time my father was either at work or in night school, so she was on her own with the 2 of them.
My mother used one in the 60s as well. Young mother with 2 young children, Tokyo train station.

Old 06-01-2018, 12:59 PM

492 posts, read 631,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondaroo View Post
Exactly.

They might be around, but you might not notice them nowadays - there are popular ones that look like backpacks, often in an animal shape with the leash being the tail.
My grandson had a backpack that looked like a monkey and the tail went around my wrist. He was a runner and would run in parking lots and out into traffic, It was a safety issue. He actually really liked wearing it.

Old 06-01-2018, 02:42 PM

12,043 posts, read 8,425,882 times
My MIL birthed seven very active boys on a hog farm and that was in the day when the hogs weren't in cages but roamed free behind wooden fences very easy to climb for young boys. Then there was the deep watering tank for the couple of cows and the team of horses. The huge garbage pit in the grove. Also the corn field.

She lived in fear of a young child wandering into the corn field. Doesn't sound so dangerous if you've never been in one but if a child got lost and went in circles he could die from the heat and humidity before a single woman or even a pair of people could find him.

I know that she tied her infants into their cribs with a dishtowel on laundry days and at least one toddler spent a lot of time in a hollow stump near the clothesline in place of a playpen.

I've often laughed and said to DH, "Do you realize that your parents would have been considered abusive in today's culture?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting