Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 10:55 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,875,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post
You are right, I don't know that. I will keep that in mind. Rest assured, I'm too busy to walk around actually judging random people for kids in strollers. I have honestly never had a reason, through 3 kids, to use a stroller past 4. If you schedule appropriately with breaks, kids are strong. We've done Disney a few times, Europe a few times, no strollers past 4. Heck, my youngest and whiniest kid survived 100 degree weather walking around Rome with no stroller at 4 1/2. Nothing a gelato couldn't fix...

I probably won't change my mind about how I really feel about able bodied typical kids, but I will keep these things in mind and try to judge less.
Ah, yes, "appropriately". Anyone using a stroller for an older kid is just not being "appropriate". I'll keep that in mind. There really are times when you can't schedule it just for the kids; when you really have to get somewhere at a specific time, and so on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2018, 07:31 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,339,085 times
I was one of those people that looked down on parents who used harnesses on their kids. Then I had two kids 22 months apart with the youngest thinking it was great fun to run and hide from me before he was 3 years old. I got a harness and silently apologized to the universe for ever judging a parent who used a harness.

Old 06-03-2018, 08:08 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,372,659 times
I used to be one of those people who judged. I thought it was not human to put your kids on a leash. Later on in life, I worked with people who have special needs who were "runners." In a blink of an eye, the kid could be gone. People don't realize how quickly this happens. When you are out with your mates or whoever and you are engaged in a conversation or you see something that catches your eye and look at it for a few seconds, that's all it takes for the kid to run away. Currently I do retail and it's crazy how people just let their children go wherever they want in the store. They allow their children to pick up all sorts of items (that they aren't going to buy), etc. Perhaps their kid could also use a leash. I mean I heard a parent calling after their child for probably at least 10 minutes. Really?!

Old 06-03-2018, 08:39 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,899,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
I've never had a problem with parents making sure their kids don't get lost or grabbed by a stranger in public. If they need a leash, it's a great way to keep them close by. I'd rather see a kid on a leash than an unattended kid run into traffic.

Safety is safety.
Or a kid gets lost in a store and they have to do a code adam and you are stuck in the store until they find the kid. That would suck too

Old 06-03-2018, 10:35 AM

669 posts, read 583,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
My mom used a harness on my oldest brother way back in the 1960's. It's called being a responsible parent and keeping track of your kids. My other brother was born the month after the oldest one turned 2, so having a harness was a necessity.
My toddler brother ( in the 1960’s) took off in a department store....Mom was so frantic! As to be expected. 5-10 minutes later we found him. You betcha Mom rigged up a “leash†to keep him close and gawkers be darned!

Old 06-06-2018, 06:33 AM

772 posts, read 915,117 times
Eww gross .. .Disgusting .... hold your kids hand instead ... geez

Old 06-06-2018, 07:08 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,682,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
I've never had a problem with parents making sure their kids don't get lost or grabbed by a stranger in public. If they need a leash, it's a great way to keep them close by. I'd rather see a kid on a leash than an unattended kid run into traffic.

Safety is safety.
THAT^^^^was my son. And he was autistic. As an infant, and later, he as very will full and headstrong and refused to hold hands in public. Holding him was NOT an option, as it involved physical touch. He had a high IQ, but would only communicate by grunting the first 18 months. Then, straight to full sentences with the comprehension of "I".
He was the middle child, in a military family. We lived on base at the time, so there were even MORE rules and regs to obey. And, my childrens father was deployed 10 months of the year.
So yeah...this one got the leash. My other 2 didn't seem to need one.

Old 06-06-2018, 07:30 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,483,364 times
So we've got a few posters saying "no leash/harness"; reasons given - looks like a dog and "ew gross"

Reasons some posters support using a leash/harness in some circumstances:
1) safety in crowded places or high traffic areas ,
2) allows children to walk and have limited freedom of movement
3) special needs
4) (from an earlier thread) prevents "nursemaid's elbow".

Hmmmm... That "ew gross" is pretty compelling argument when looking at the big picture.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:25 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,881,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
So we've got a few posters saying "no leash/harness"; reasons given - looks like a dog and "ew gross"

Reasons some posters support using a leash/harness in some circumstances:
1) safety in crowded places or high traffic areas ,
2) allows children to walk and have limited freedom of movement
3) special needs
4) (from an earlier thread) prevents "nursemaid's elbow".

Hmmmm... That "ew gross" is pretty compelling argument when looking at the big picture.
Yup!

I didn't care if someone thought my son looked "gross" on a leash. He would've looked a lot worse if he ran into the street (autistic compulsion + no sense of danger) and got hit by a truck or something like that.

Ugh.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:47 AM

772 posts, read 915,117 times
Would a choke collar for my 4 year old be too much ? since hand holding isn't used any more ? I did a google search and couldn't find a yes or no answer ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting