Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 08:32 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,122,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForLoveOnly View Post
Simple solution? Stay at a hotel.

If you really need to stay in a family members house overnight with that many people/different ages then you need to deal with it.

If it's just for the evening (not an over night stay) then, no, the person with baby needs to deal with it.
No one is sleeping there. It Was a 4 hour gathering
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2018, 08:52 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
Adult carrying baby stays in family room with a 7 yo 9 yo 12 yo and 5 other adults. Then we have to keep quiet and get shushed and the looks when noise is made?

Thoughts
If I read the read correctly, there are six adults, three children and a baby enjoying a celebration. IMHO, it is the sleeping baby that needs to move to a different room than to "shush" the nine other people and to insist that they stay quiet. If necessary the person holding the baby should leave the party with the sleeping baby to not interrupt everyone else's fun. If the baby absolutely HAS TO BE HELD, (very unlikely) then the baby's mom could take turns with the baby's dad or other relatives to hold the baby,in a bedroom or other room, for the four hour party.

BTW, I attended a four hour party today with a five day old infant and double that amount of people. The baby slept about half the time and never had to be removed from the living room/dining room, even when the preschoolers were playing some rather loud games and the adults were laughing loudly at jokes and funny stories. And, no one asked the adults or children to be quiet because of the baby when it was sleeping.

Last edited by germaine2626; 07-04-2018 at 10:11 PM..

Old 07-04-2018, 09:47 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Quote:
Adult carrying baby stays in family room with a 7 yo 9 yo 12 yo and 5 other adults. Then we have to keep quiet and get shushed and the looks when noise is made?

Thoughts
Were you really expected to remain silent, or just to keep your voices down? I can understand the latter, especially when there are kids included. But, in either case, the onus is on the parent of the baby to see to their comfort, not the entire gathering. As a new parent I learned pretty quickly that insisting on silence while my baby slept was a bad idea anyway. It's much better to let them learn to fall asleep with normal background sounds present.

Old 07-04-2018, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
If I read the read correctly, there are six adults, three children and a baby enjoying a celebration. IMHO, it is the sleeping baby that needs to move to a different room than to "shush" the nine other people and to insist that they stay quiet. If necessary the person holding the baby should leave the party with the sleeping baby to not interrupt everyone else's fun. If the baby absolutely HAS TO BE HELD, (very unlikely) then the baby's mom could take turns with the baby's dad or other relatives to hold the baby,in a bedroom or other room, for the four hour party.

BTW, I attended a four hour party today with a five day old infant and double that amount of people. The baby slept about half the time and never had to be removed from the living room/dining room, even when the preschools were playing some rather loud games. And, no one asked the adults or children to be quiet because of the baby when it was sleeping.
Great points. More than opinion here. This is clearly the right way to do things

Old 07-04-2018, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Were you really expected to remain silent, or just to keep your voices down? I can understand the latter, especially when there are kids included. But, in either case, the onus is on the parent of the baby to see to their comfort, not the entire gathering. As a new parent I learned pretty quickly that insisting on silence while my baby slept was a bad idea anyway. It's much better to let them learn to fall asleep with normal background sounds present.
Pretty much keep volume at a 2 when we usually are at a 7 or 8 with the 3 older kids making their noise... and in and out of kitchen making food, moving chairs, having adult conversations etc

Old 07-04-2018, 10:26 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,914,949 times
I have set up a room with bedding, etc when I knew babies and young children were going to be among the guests. I would then let the parents know where they could comfortably hang out when the children were falling asleep. And continue on with talking and usual sounds.

Old 07-04-2018, 11:18 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,606,291 times
Quote:
No. It’s the parents(does not live there) responsibility to be considerate (during a family holiday gathering) of others and to go into one of the bedrooms as to not force people in the only main room of the 3 bedroom single story house to be completely silent for an hour?

80% of the correct people will agree with me
I think 99% of courteous people will agree with you.

Old 07-04-2018, 11:25 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
Quote:
Have little patience for bad parenting.
The best parents are the people who are not parents....like yourself..lol

Old 07-05-2018, 12:52 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,500,168 times
Quote:
Grand parents house but yes baby was sleeping in arms anyways. Can easily walk to another room to not affect 8 other people

Seems logical to me, and it's been 20 years, but I always took sleeping baby away to another part of the house. Hopefully had a crib set up in another room so I could go back to the family gathering while kid slept.

Old 07-05-2018, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
The best parents are the people who are not parents....like yourself..lol

Have one on the way. I’ll never allow certain things and bad behavior from my kids at someone else’s home. Even at grandmas house. We’re not running around like a crazy person and walking on furniture and not cleaning up after yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting