Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you cover up or not?
Yes 29 40.85%
No 33 46.48%
Not sure 9 12.68%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 11:40 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,728,534 times

Advertisements

Breastfeeding is actually a reason to allow "nudity" in public. Of course, you see way less skin while breastfeeding than you do at the beach or pool, so I use the term "nudity" extremely loosely. But yes, feeding a baby is protected in every state. Nudity laws do not apply to nursing moms.

Old 07-23-2018, 11:48 AM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Breastfeeding is actually a reason to allow "nudity" in public. Of course, you see way less skin while breastfeeding than you do at the beach or pool, so I use the term "nudity" extremely loosely. But yes, feeding a baby is protected in every state. Nudity laws do not apply to nursing moms.
agree, plus it depends on your personal beliefs...how you think and feel about things....issues, etc....

I didn't mind that woman breast feeding at the restaurant I was in....however, I wouldn't have done it....

but that's just me....

Old 07-23-2018, 11:49 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,728,534 times
Right, it's fine for you to choose not to breastfeed your baby in public or to use a cover just as it's fine for someone else to choose to do the opposite.

Old 07-23-2018, 11:53 AM

4,993 posts, read 5,292,680 times
I don't have a problem with public breastfeeding, but there are ways to be more discreet about it. We didn't get to see what the pool viewers did. If you're breastfeeding in a swimsuit, someone may have gotten an eyeful. I don't think you have to hide, but having a little common courtesy helps. I breastfed all three of my kids. I usually didn't leave a room, but I would reposition myself so it wasn't so obvious.

Old 07-23-2018, 12:00 PM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I'm a women with two children, but did not breast feed. However, I know many who have, my SIL is currently. She came over to my house and started breastfeeding my nephew in my family room with full boob hanging out. My DH comes walking in and was like "Whoa" and leaves the room, same with my kids. My kids are 12 & 10 so not babies and they understand breastfeeding. My point is, there is nothing wrong with breastfeeding in public or anywhere for that matter, but there is no need to let it all hang out! And why would you want everyone to see your breasts anyway? To me, yes feed your child, but be discreet. Do what you want in your own home, but breastfeeding should not be a reason to allow nudity in public. Just my honest opinion!
I dont like it one bit... and could never ever have did this in public.... never mind round a pool...some things should be done privately and this is one.

Old 07-23-2018, 12:01 PM

1,065 posts, read 598,167 times
If someone thinks a breast-fed baby's head should be covered but a bottle-fed baby's shouldn't, that's not common courtesy, though. They just aren't understanding that it's about nourishing an infant. For those at pool, it's actually a teachable moment for any children who may see a breast-fed infant, too.

Old 07-23-2018, 12:06 PM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middletwin View Post
If someone thinks a breast-fed baby's head should be covered but a bottle-fed baby's shouldn't, that's not common courtesy, though. They just aren't understanding that it's about nourishing an infant. For those at pool, it's actually a teachable moment for any children who may see a breast-fed infant, too.
so what your saying is, it's ok to teach someone else's child who doesn't believe in doing so. Or maybe they should be the ones to leave?

See, that's the problem I have with it...shoving my beliefs on other people's children, and other people who might be older and not have been exposed to it....yes, it's natural, yes, it's legal, and yes, I'm ok with it...what I have a problem with is defiance, against others.

I think we should all try and be a little more considerate of the rights of others....this is new for my generation, and even newer for someone older than myself....we were not raised to believe it is ok...and I'm not saying anyone is wrong for breastfeeding their child in public, what I'm saying is, that I think it's would be common courtesy to consider the older folks who are not used to seeing it...and were raised differently.

It's really not about breastfeeding in public, or not....actually....

Old 07-23-2018, 12:11 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,056,289 times
I knew this was just an excuse for a huffy rant.

It's legal almost everywhere. It's healthy. When done with even a modicum of discretion, nobody would see anything, even the most creepy dude or the most moralizing pearl-clutcher.

Old 07-23-2018, 12:11 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
I can't watch videos at work, so I don't know what specifically it says. But my understanding is that the breastfeeding mothers were there with other children. So in order to feed the baby, they would have had to drag all the other kids out of the pool or put a blanket over a nursing baby child which as someone else noted upthread, isn't a particularly appealing way to eat.

I've seen women showing more cleavage/boobage in a low cut shirt or skimpy bikini than you see on some nursing moms, and no one ever "but the childrennnnnnn!" about that.

Time for Americans to get over their puritanical notions regarding the female body. Women are legally allowed to breastfeed in any location they are legally allowed to be. The people who have a problem with that are the ones who need to leave or cover their heads.

Old 07-23-2018, 12:17 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
agree, plus it depends on your personal beliefs...how you think and feel about things....issues, etc....

I didn't mind that woman breast feeding at the restaurant I was in....however, I wouldn't have done it....

but that's just me....
MY personal beliefs determine MY behavior and you yours. That breastfeeding is an "issue" at all is absurd. And if someone else' personal beliefs causes them a problem with it, it is incumbent on THEM to find a solution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting