Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 06:07 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilly9244 View Post
Do you think that would be ok, being that he is 11. I might embarass him. Idk. He has 8 classes now, but I do have some parent info

Oh wow, don't do that! Yes at that age you will embarrass him! We did invite all the kids over from my younger girls class, but she was only 8. At 11 and for a boy, I wouldn't do it! I would however have him invite someone over to hang out if he meets a new friend.

We moved 2 years ago and my girls were almost 11 and 8. My daughter also started Middle school and knew NO ONE! I encouraged her to start conversations with the person who's locker is next to hers and people she sat next to during class and at lunch. I also sent an email out to all of her teachers to tell them that she was new and didn't know anyone so if they could help her meet people and ask someone to show her around. Since it was Middle school most of the kids were knew to the school at that age anyway so that helped. She did go into a few clubs, some she liked some she quit right away.

Encourage him to sign up for clubs. Maybe an outside club as well that is not part of the school such as the YMCA. He will make friends, trust me! He's still young and will adapt. It actually took my younger daughter more time to adapt than my older child, but you have to give them time. In the meantime, make sure you're doing a lot of encouragement to get involved!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2018, 07:11 AM

9,865 posts, read 7,736,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Oh wow, don't do that! Yes at that age you will embarrass him! We did invite all the kids over from my younger girls class, but she was only 8. At 11 and for a boy, I wouldn't do it! I would however have him invite someone over to hang out if he meets a new friend.

We moved 2 years ago and my girls were almost 11 and 8. My daughter also started Middle school and knew NO ONE! I encouraged her to start conversations with the person who's locker is next to hers and people she sat next to during class and at lunch. I also sent an email out to all of her teachers to tell them that she was new and didn't know anyone so if they could help her meet people and ask someone to show her around. Since it was Middle school most of the kids were knew to the school at that age anyway so that helped. She did go into a few clubs, some she liked some she quit right away.

Encourage him to sign up for clubs. Maybe an outside club as well that is not part of the school such as the YMCA. He will make friends, trust me! He's still young and will adapt. It actually took my younger daughter more time to adapt than my older child, but you have to give them time. In the meantime, make sure you're doing a lot of encouragement to get involved!
Thank you, I agree!! If you want to make sure he never has any friends, arrange a "play date". He will be mocked as a mama's boy. I'm sure you don't want him to be the kid that others make fun of!

He's 11. Even if he is not assertive, you need to just be an encourager, do not arrange friends and activities for him. He should be learning these skills, these are life skills. He needs to be figuring out what he likes to do and who he gravitates to.

I think it's fair for you to say he has to choose 3-4 activities, scouts, sports, music, clubs, drama, etc or he can't sit home and play video games or watch tv. How cool that you live at the beach, maybe he can join something beach related.

Old 08-28-2018, 07:41 AM

1,058 posts, read 676,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Thank you, I agree!! If you want to make sure he never has any friends, arrange a "play date". He will be mocked as a mama's boy. I'm sure you don't want him to be the kid that others make fun of!

He's 11. Even if he is not assertive, you need to just be an encourager, do not arrange friends and activities for him. He should be learning these skills, these are life skills. He needs to be figuring out what he likes to do and who he gravitates to.

I think it's fair for you to say he has to choose 3-4 activities, scouts, sports, music, clubs, drama, etc or he can't sit home and play video games or watch tv. How cool that you live at the beach, maybe he can join something beach related.
I just want to go in there and make his friend for him!! I know I can't. I didn't have that issue when I was younger but my husband was painfully shy-but an athlete. I reached out to a couple of his teachers and asked him to buddy him up with someone that could show him around etc. I was thinking of joining the PTO to help with his school and maybe also meet some other parents that way. It would be awesome if we could befriend a kid/parent combo!! LOL. I might have embarrassed him a little at scouts yesterday-I took his picture while a couple of the other boys were there. He was just so handsome. He really likes scouts so far. If you guys have ever seen diary of a wimpy kid when greggs mom gets on the loud speaker at the skating rink to tell Gregg that he was on the way to help him up after falling That is how I feel!!

Old 09-05-2018, 12:06 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,901,228 times
See if the local public library has activities for kids his age during the school year. Mine offers free movies, book discussion groups, and special interest programs with speakers, etc., plus much more during the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting