Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 02:54 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,134,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
You'd forgo your child's education because you'd rather pay the babysitter? Yikes.

I never attended pre-school.

Yikes!! How could my parents have made such a life altering decision to forgo my education?!?!?!?

(By the way, I graduated from a Top-50 ranked national university in the US.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2018, 03:04 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,120,324 times
In NJ it's different in each district. All towns are supposed to have all day Kindergarten but some still don't. Only the poorest seem to have free preschool for all. If a child has a delay, preschool is free. The remaining spots are filled by lottery and you have to pay for it.

Old 08-20-2018, 03:05 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I never attended pre-school.

Yikes!! How could my parents have made such a life altering decision to forgo my education?!?!?!?

(By the way, I graduated from a Top-50 ranked national university in the US.)
How old are you? I'd venture to guess things have changed since then.

Old 08-20-2018, 03:07 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,388,287 times
If you want free public preschool, make sure to vote for politicians who support public education.

Old 08-20-2018, 03:09 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,219,950 times
In my district, half day kindergarten is paid through the regular school budget. Full day kindergarten doesn't fall under the same budget so there is an income based charge. And pre-school is not covered by the budget at all, and is funded via tuition payments, just like a private preschool. Some parents appreciate the chance to have their child get used to the school, or they may have older children in the same school so it makes life much simpler to have them all in the same location.

But I never once thought to resent that I might need to pay for a service that just happens to be provided at the school, any more than the fact that I've also paid for before and afterschool care or summer camp programs that were also located at the school.

Old 08-20-2018, 04:00 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,713,034 times
Preschool is not free here unless you are low income. That is probably why OP cousin gets free preschool & she doesn’t. Is the household income significantly different? My nephew has speech delay but he wasn’t bad enough to qualify for free preschool. So my brother has to pay for it. My other friend had <50k income with her first and going free preschool. But by the time her second kid was old enough for school their income went up to 80k and now they have to pay.

Kindergarden as far as I know is free public education

Old 08-20-2018, 04:10 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,107,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by etjaipleure View Post
That's weird because my cousin lives in the same state but a different county and her preschool is free! I am so confused lol
Half-day Pre-school here is free & provided through the district at most of their elementary schools. Full-day kindergarten is also free.

Old 08-20-2018, 04:10 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,235,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
In NJ it's different in each district. All towns are supposed to have all day Kindergarten but some still don't. Only the poorest seem to have free preschool for all. If a child has a delay, preschool is free. The remaining spots are filled by lottery and you have to pay for it.
It’s similar where I am, except pre-k is generally offered in both lower income and middle income districts. The wealthy districts don’t because the residents typically send their kids to private pre-k programs. Pre-k for kids with special needs is handled separately, because is falls under a different budget.

Old 08-20-2018, 05:58 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,134,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
How old are you? I'd venture to guess things have changed since then.

I'm of an age where everyone else my age went to pre-school. And none of my siblings went either. All have college diplomas, two have Masters, one is going for a Doctorate.

Old 08-20-2018, 06:26 PM

4,993 posts, read 5,294,120 times
My youngest child went to 4 year old preschool at the public school in Oklahoma. It was free and only four hours a day. Not all of the schools offered it. It opened up the year my daughter was eligible. She was also allowed to ride the bus to school with my other two kids and I picked her up at lunch. It was a pretty sweet deal. I only did it to get her used to school. Our school was first come first serve. That meant we met a lot of parents waiting in line to sign up at 2 am. It saved me several hundred dollars and my daughter had an awesome and energetic teacher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting