Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 08:54 AM

2,454 posts, read 3,216,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleTom View Post
I appreciate the replies all.... a couple of things:

Between the difference of safety between driving and flying: In a plane crash there is virtually little chance of surviving. Big difference between car and plane is my point. The fact that we hear consistently (one a week?) about small planes crashing is reason enough to have at least some alarm, no?
Dying isn't a certainty in a plane crash. Just like any other accident, it all depends on the situation. I'm not sure where you live but I watch the news daily and I'm not hearing about accidents weekly. Even if that were the case, you still have a much greater chance of being in an accident driving to and from your coding gig.

Quote:

Regarding the pay and concern about going into debt:

You need to have 1000-1500 flight hours before becoming a commercial pilot. A lot of people build up this time after getting their licenses by training others. Its a long process and does not pay well. A kid or someone going into the field needs to understand this. I believe I may have a differing opinion from many on this board about the issues of going into debt for pursuing their schooling/trade (especially if there is no certainty that one will make it to the plateau of the profession). This isn't the 1950's (schooling is expensive and jobs can be tough to come across) debt isn't something you should take on just because its a dream to become career xyz. Are any of you all going to be around to help pay the debt ?
If there is a will, there is a way. The 1000 - 1500 hours is to be an ATP, not a commercial pilot. Again, once your son gets his flight instructor's cert, he is building hours on someone else's dime. In addition, he can build time in flight simulators which don't cost as much as a real airplane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2018, 03:16 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Your son is 15 years old and mapping out a successful future?

You should be dropping to your knees and thanking the big guy. Seriously.

Sorry dad, the majority of us don't agree with you.

You really need to support your son in this even if it isn't financially. He'll remember it wasn't you taking him to the airport to watch planes.

So sad.

Old 08-28-2018, 04:11 PM

1,201 posts, read 804,128 times
Quote:
I've been in software/technology since I graduated college in 1997. I've always enjoyed it but I've never been one to obsess about it during my weekends, and time off work. I do other things that are primarily associated around the kids lives (and family), which includes: watching their athletics, spend time with the family, playing board games and even play video games with them, etc. I have never pushed computers on to any of my kids. As I realize now I think technology is extremely important to study and learn about. It should be on the same line as math, science, history and english. However, I never pushed it on our kids.

So fast forward to my son who is 15. He wants to be a pilot. And this isn't some run of the mill career he's chosen. He's wanted to be a pilot for at least 5 years now and it goes back to my FIL taking him to the local airport to watch planes, etc. That said, I have no interest in flying. In fact, I've always had some anxiety around them especially the smaller single engine planes. Regardless I've always been a supporter and will continue to do so. However, becoming a commercial pilot is a lot of money. And frankly I've read different things about whether or not the need actually surpasses the pool of people that want to become a commercial pilot. I have a real problem around him picking a career if their isn't much need (i.e: extremely tough to get a job).

Anyway, how to I go about trying to get the kids involved in technology anyway? Is it too late? My son is already mapping his requirements for what he needs to become a pilot. I'm just not sure if there is a need for pilots in the future, whereas technology, on the other hand is all around us and will continue to be. However, programming on the PC doesn't seem as "fun" as watching a video on the Blue Angles.....
I will add, even though I could never be a pilot I am proud of him having of choosing a career that he wants to do (as opposed to banking everything on being a star QB or winner of American Idol). Any thoughts or advice I'd really appreciate it.
You don't! You encourage and support him in pursuing his dream to be a pilot.

Old 08-28-2018, 05:06 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoR View Post
You don't! You encourage and support him in pursuing his dream to be a pilot.
Exactly! OP, why on earth would you attempt to dissuade your child from pursuing his passion? It's time you caught the bug for airplanes, too. Next time your FIL takes your son to the airport, join them, and show your son that you're behind him all the way. It will mean the world to him.

Old 10-23-2018, 03:40 PM

2 posts, read 759 times
Don't push them into anything, it would be worth easing them into the field they want to take. Every human is born different and has capabilities which should not be walled by parents's ambition. Look at the direction in which the kid is moving and he will fall into what he can do best.

Old 10-23-2018, 03:54 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
Quote:
Jeez. So throw away the 100k+ for school, certificates, and experience. We don't particularly want our kids to join the military (no offense they do great and I respect them, but just not for us).

Oh believe me, no offense taken. 2 to 4 years of agreeing and committment to risking your life and injury? No thanks.

But yeah...it was a LOT of money for a degree at a highly rated college with an excellent aviation program...not being used.

Old 11-03-2018, 08:19 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
I learned how to fly before I knew how to drive. Think it it was 17 when I got my DL but I was flying around 16.

Of course, it helps that Dad was an Army Aviator. I got a lot co-pilot time in his Mooney, was in a community filled with flight instructors, was part of Air Explorers, and, we can't ignore this one, it was a much simpler, if not cheaper, time.

A thing or two or three. I remember when Dad took us up to Arkansas to fish. For two or so days up there, all I could think about was getting back to the plane and flying home. Curious, huh, for a future marine biologist to be so focused on flying.

Secondly, flying is expensive. I think the last time I had my hands on the controls was back in 1993 in Dad's plane. Then Dad got sick and had to sell the plane. In the environment especially if someone else is paying, it is much easier than being totally outside the environment. Further, it is not something you do every so often. You have to keep up with it and that's just not for the security of post 9-11. Dad said, I believe, that for the Mooney, he would have to fly it 40 hours a month to maintain proficiency. He had developed that Mooney so he could leave his law office at noon and by the evening, be at Hilton Head, SC; it was that capable of an airplane.

Now, since I still do have a pilot's license, I am able to log flight crew time such as when I hired a pilot to take me over the ranch, before I bought it (no puns intended), to take pictures, so I picked up time as an air photographer.

One thing about being a military pilot is that to get in, you have to have perfect or better vision. If you don't have that biologically (I don't know where they stand these days with laser but back then, it was disqualifying), you have no chance of even getting into flight school. FURTHER, once in, it is super competitive, the wash out rate is fantastic. What was it during the Cold War? If you are making 96% of the grade, you're failing.

As I recall...............

Now, to the thread title, what was it that interested me, what might it have been?

Ever see episodes of "The Six Million Dollar Man" or "The Bionic Woman" and how intense military aviation is in the background of those shows? It was that kind of environment growing up with helicopters landing in the front or back yard, constantly flying over head.

Next, I suppose being socially isolated as I was contributed another big factor. You find things to focus on for your own precision.

Third, various fiction of one story or another where being a pilot stands out. As a teen, I read, as I recall, a lot of Wilbur Smith and MacClean books and at least in the former, there were pilots that I could identify with. To say nothing of "Terry's" (Susannah York) flying in the movie "Gold".

Fourth, of course, was that I was on the track to get appointments and scholarships for college. Flying, foreign languages, being on a Letter team (rifle), being a judo state champion, leadership positions, grades, class standing, those were all elements to stand out, to have them pick me. That did not get me into flying as another point to grab but once there, I sure held on to it.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 11-03-2018 at 08:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting