Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 04:52 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,437,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG2 View Post
Ok, my better half's daughter turns 21 on October 19.... MY daughter turns 23 on November 25.... My two daughters and her daughter and son and his wife are all in the same age range (21-25).... I'm thinking it might be fun to combo the celebrations and let the kids hang out as they don't get to see each other much due to distance.....

As you can tell by the calendar, my daughter's birthday lands on Thanksgiving weekend, so I would like to plan a celebration a weekend or two before to separate it from the holiday. Stepdaughter is in late October. In my pea brained mind, I think a combo celebration on around November 10 can work.

Or do we just keep them separate? We can't afford to foot the bill for two separate events.

Keeps the stepdaughter's birthday weekend free for a turning 21 night with her friends, and also a dinner with her dad.

Keeps my daughter's birthday weekend free to have a dinner celebration with her mom.

Opinions?
I think that in this age range, the separation of the events (if the issue is raised as being important to them) would supersede the amount spent on each birthday. It's about "having your own" not what you have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2018, 05:25 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
I think that in this age range, the separation of the events (if the issue is raised as being important to them) would supersede the amount spent on each birthday. It's about "having your own" not what you have.
Really? Because in my world, having a special day all about me ended with childhood when it came to extended family celebrations. We'd get together 3-4 times a year and celebrate all the birthdays that had passed since we last gathered.

There is nothing wrong with planning one dinner to acknowledge both birthdays. The trickiest part will likely be finding a date that works for everyone.

Old 09-24-2018, 06:48 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,437,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Really? Because in my world, having a special day all about me ended with childhood when it came to extended family celebrations. We'd get together 3-4 times a year and celebrate all the birthdays that had passed since we last gathered.

There is nothing wrong with planning one dinner to acknowledge both birthdays. The trickiest part will likely be finding a date that works for everyone.
I think it will ultimately result in two events, possibly with great difference in size between the two. As more people are invited, the chance at a scheduling conflict only increases.

Old 09-24-2018, 06:53 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
I think it sounds like a very nice idea, although of course, it requires checking with both birthday girls that they are ok sharing the celebration. You sound like a good dad, so I'm guessing you've raised nice kids and presumably married someone who also did, so my prediction is they will be gracious about it and will also enjoy extending their celebration times since they will have friends and the other side of their family to celebrate with as well.

Old 09-24-2018, 07:31 PM

765 posts, read 473,978 times
I THINK YOUR IDEA IS STUPENDOUS AND WONDROUS AND A FINE FINE FAMILY OCCASION. !!!!!! now, go send the invites!!!! shoo! shoo!

Old 09-24-2018, 09:10 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,545,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG2 View Post
Ok, my better half's daughter turns 21 on October 19.... MY daughter turns 23 on November 25.... My two daughters and her daughter and son and his wife are all in the same age range (21-25).... I'm thinking it might be fun to combo the celebrations and let the kids hang out as they don't get to see each other much due to distance.....

As you can tell by the calendar, my daughter's birthday lands on Thanksgiving weekend, so I would like to plan a celebration a weekend or two before to separate it from the holiday. Stepdaughter is in late October. In my pea brained mind, I think a combo celebration on around November 10 can work.

Or do we just keep them separate? We can't afford to foot the bill for two separate events.

Keeps the stepdaughter's birthday weekend free for a turning 21 night with her friends, and also a dinner with her dad.

Keeps my daughter's birthday weekend free to have a dinner celebration with her mom.

Opinions?
Hey, if they all get along and no one's nose is going to be out of joint, why not combine them? Sounds like a great idea to me.

Old 09-24-2018, 09:13 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I think it's super sweet, and refreshing that you're wanting to plan something fun for everyone, and yet still, allow them their own celebration on their terms.

I have no advice. I just think you're aces. LOL
Ditto. Love the idea.

Old 09-25-2018, 07:47 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,697,086 times
Am surprised that a birthday past their 18th makes a difference. After the 18th wouldn't they just want to do their own thing and rather hang with friends? Celebrating adult birthdays with immediate family over a dinner is as far as we go now. They aren't kids anymore and the decision on how, when, where and with whom is a decision entirely up to them now. They are adults, treat them as such and let them decide.

Old 09-25-2018, 08:15 AM

898 posts, read 598,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
I think it will ultimately result in two events, possibly with great difference in size between the two. As more people are invited, the chance at a scheduling conflict only increases.

The list would only be us two, my two kids, her two kids and one daughter in-law. The three girls don't currently have boyfriends. At a restaurant, so a group bigger than 7 can start to get unwieldy.

Old 09-25-2018, 08:23 AM

898 posts, read 598,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joee5 View Post
Am surprised that a birthday past their 18th makes a difference. After the 18th wouldn't they just want to do their own thing and rather hang with friends? Celebrating adult birthdays with immediate family over a dinner is as far as we go now. They aren't kids anymore and the decision on how, when, where and with whom is a decision entirely up to them now. They are adults, treat them as such and let them decide.

Well, that's what I was thinking. We go to dinner, then after the dinner the kids can move the party to a club if they want to. And it forces my stepson and his wife to get a sitter and get away from the three year old for a night out. They (now 23 & 22) have been missing out on the fun stuff 23 & 22 year olds do because of the child. One of the other two grandpa's can watch her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting