Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 03:44 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,859,854 times

Advertisements

Wow - guess my Parents were slave drivers then...

Was 8 or 9 when I started mowing the lawn. Was expected to either weed the garden or do the hand tilling before planting (I took the hand tilling up front to avoid weeding, let my Sisters handle weeding)

Was also expected from same age to shovel snow and make sure my Mom could get out of the driveway at 5-5:30am since she worked at a hospital - and if it was a no school snow day, the whole driveway and walks were to be cleared.

Key word - expected - along with the obligatory "I/WE weren't put here on Earth to be YOUR servants" speech (at least some form of it) from my Parents to us kids 2 to 3 times a week.

Allowance? WTH was that???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2019, 04:41 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,460,871 times

Loved it too! Got a sunny tan and a work out.

The worst part was having to pull the starter cord! It would slap back sometimes and leave a whipping scar on my leg.

No how no way would I let a kid use the riding mower. My BF was 17 when he did summers with a lawn service place. They had strict safety regulations so he knew what was expected and how to operate them properly.

Old 09-16-2019, 04:56 AM

4,985 posts, read 3,968,766 times
Daddy would start it, and i push-mowed at 9. the next year, i did everything.
at 12, we got a self-propelled. never used a riding mower. not then, not now.

Old 09-16-2019, 09:03 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,889,107 times
My kids get an allowance for the garbage and laundry and would pay more for mowing, but even with the allowance we give them they don't really care about the reward because we're strict about what we let them spend money on (don't be wasteful). So essence, getting them to do chores, which they still do, is a lesson-learning fail while trying to teach the right thing. They only care about video games and only want to spend on digital content (wasteful because it gets replaced soon after). I guess we gotta let loose on the vice grip a bit. Slowly but surely...

Old 09-16-2019, 09:05 AM

6,589 posts, read 4,980,255 times
Under 10 using a riding mower. 3 out of 4 of us did, the 4th wasn't mechanically inclined. We were all active outdoor kids. Dad had a push mower for tight areas but I don't think we ever used that. We also had a sweeper which taught us how to tow - and back up. Incredibly beneficial as we got closer to driving age.

No allowance but a great tan as someone posted above! This was expected as part of our chores.

Old 09-16-2019, 09:18 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,322,562 times
I was older - probably 14 or 15. I grew up in a house on a hill where some of the push mowing had to be done using cleats.

Old 09-16-2019, 09:19 AM

3,024 posts, read 2,242,123 times
My daughter is 13 and just started. She hates it, but we pay her: $20, half in her savings account and half for her to spend as she wishes. We don't give a separate allowance just yet.

Old 09-16-2019, 09:45 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,443,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Ok, here’s the deal. I’ve known some young parents who refuse to let their kids mow the lawn attributing it to slave labor or too dangerous for their children to operate.

What is your age and how old were you when you started mowing the lawn?

I’m 50 and I was 8 when I started pushing the mower. Dad conned me by saying how strong I was and asked me if I could start the mower, I did. He then said how big I was and asked me if I could push the mower. I couldn’t reach the top bar but I could push the bar in the middle. He taught me how to turn it off. There was a lever I was to push with my foot and it would turn off.
I've never understood those that have moral qualms about pressing their children into labor for the household.

The summer between 3rd and 4th grade. I was a tall kid though.

Old 09-16-2019, 11:18 AM

4,088 posts, read 2,564,078 times
I was twelve when my Dad taught me to mow. He was a bit of a lawn perfectionist, though (golf course-like lines on *his* lawn!), so when he found that I was not doing the job to his satisfaction, I was soon relegated to other lawn care and gardening tasks, which was fine by me.

It's one of the few times in my childhood that I got away with doing a less than stellar job; I still think fondly of my Dad these days whenever I work on my own yard and am glad that he took the time to show me how to care for a lawn even though mine isn't nearly as nice as his always was.

My nephew began to mow the lawn with the push mower with guidance and supervision when he was ten. He began using the riding mower when he was thirteen (and loved it--just like his granddad). My niece (age thirteen) is in the process of being taught to mow, but has been doing gardening tasks since she was toddling around her maternal grandfather's huge vegetable plot.

Old 09-16-2019, 11:55 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,616,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Ok, here’s the deal. I’ve known some young parents who refuse to let their kids mow the lawn attributing it to slave labor or too dangerous for their children to operate.

What is your age and how old were you when you started mowing the lawn?

I’m 50 and I was 8 when I started pushing the mower. Dad conned me by saying how strong I was and asked me if I could start the mower, I did. He then said how big I was and asked me if I could push the mower. I couldn’t reach the top bar but I could push the bar in the middle. He taught me how to turn it off. There was a lever I was to push with my foot and it would turn off.
I'm a woman. I first mowed a lawn (a very small one) when I was in my 30s and bought my first house. It's definitely not something I would've been asked to do as a kid. Also, I pay for someone to do it now because I just don't want to. The novelty wore off quickly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting