Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2020, 02:29 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,499,887 times

Advertisements

Overall how would you rate those people how raised you when you were a child? What was done well and done poorly?

Myself...

The Good
- Intellectual stimulation was frequent. Always read to, they would get books if I was interested in a topic.
- I was taught to treat adults / older people in general with respect
- I was taught not to waste things and to be thankful, whether food or clothing, etc

The Bad
- No one ever stood up for me, often they sided with those were bullying me.
- Lack on constructive criticism during a decision but then I would get criticized later after the fact

I might add details later, don't want to hijack thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2020, 08:18 PM

35,105 posts, read 31,373,524 times
Overall, A-.

There are a few things I would have done differently in regard to schools, but I can understand why my parents made the decisions they did.

Old 02-02-2020, 08:53 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,664,077 times
It was excellent. I survived and had a lot of fun in the process. They provided all of the material needs and sent me to good schools and took me to church. I would say 95% of it was way better than most in the world experience.

Old 02-02-2020, 09:13 PM

14,415 posts, read 14,337,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Overall how would you rate those people how raised you when you were a child? What was done well and done poorly?

Myself...

The Good
- Intellectual stimulation was frequent. Always read to, they would get books if I was interested in a topic.
- I was taught to treat adults / older people in general with respect
- I was taught not to waste things and to be thankful, whether food or clothing, etc

The Bad
- No one ever stood up for me, often they sided with those were bullying me.
- Lack on constructive criticism during a decision but then I would get criticized later after the fact

I might add details later, don't want to hijack thread.
Overall, I'd give my parents a grade of between A- and A. They truly couldn't have done much better.

The Good

Set money aside for the education of both their children and never once blinked at paying for college tuition. Of course, this was long ago, when tuition at a public university was a bargain.

Set marvelous examples for their children in terms of a work ethic, their own education, and honest and ethical behavior.

Even though they had a very different childhood than mine, they did an excellent job of understanding and empathizing with me.

The Bad

There really isn't much that was bad, but I want to give some balance, so I will try.

Probably could have spent more actual time with their kids, but were preoccupied with work and gaining promotions, so time with us was limited. This wasn't entirely bad though. Because of it, I learned to be very self-reliant by the time I was thirteen.

Did a lot of gossiping. I can't identify any particular harm from this. However, the message they sent was that it was ok to snipe at others behind their back.

Probably spent too much time worrying about things like politics that they couldn't really change or affect much.

Old 02-03-2020, 04:10 AM

7,597 posts, read 4,172,313 times
Pros:
I had lots of freedom.
Cons:
That freedom came as a result of not wanting to stay home.

Old 02-03-2020, 06:48 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,793,295 times
Pros: they paid for education. Basic material needs met. They behaved as adults, didn't involve children in adult drama. They really did want the best for their children, and thought they were providing it. In general, more money was spent on education and music lessons than did neighboring families.

Cons: lots of hitting, screaming, deliberate social isolation of children, refusal to recognize significant mental health issues in selves and children, refusal to protect younger sibs from severely disturbed behavior of older sibs. Overall, an extremely miserable childhood. In today's world, the children would have been removed. But for that era (50s through 70s), it was not that unusual, unfortunately.

I've tried very hard to provide better for my own children. When you ask someone what they want for their own children, you can tell what was lacking in their own childhood.

Old 02-03-2020, 11:16 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,534,408 times
They did the best that they could. It wasn't ideal but, I survived.

Old 02-03-2020, 12:03 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,344,169 times
Using what scale? Regular school grades? D
I don't want to get into the negatives but the thing that kept it from being an F was my horse.

Last edited by hunterseat; 02-03-2020 at 12:13 PM..

Old 02-03-2020, 12:31 PM

609 posts, read 350,895 times
I lived in 2 houses because of divorce.

Parenting in my mothers home was a solid D not because of abuse, but rather I was a pawn to control and hurt my father. The step father was not mean but he did not care for children that were not his. Step side of the home were huge issues, i have not talked them over 35 years.

Several years later, i moved into my father's house which I gave B-. Conversation, caring were seen and no step siblings helped ALOT.

Old 02-03-2020, 01:27 PM

18,537 posts, read 18,782,257 times
Got fed well dressed well.. but helping with homework and guidance for the future were never there..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting