Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 12:05 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,154,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrfitchett4 View Post
of course not. It would never happen to their child. I really don't get it either. Vaccine adverse reactions are so rare. And half of what they try to blame on vaccines can't be proven medically. Here in Texas, kids have to get hep b if you want your kid in preschool. There are no "opting out" clauses on that one. Guess a private babysitter would work.
Actually, there is an opt out in Texas for all of the vaccines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 02:51 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,235,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrfitchett4 View Post
your right, parents should have a choice. And their insurance should have the right to refuse to pay for medical care if they contract the disease. I still don't understand parents who don't vaccinate their kids. I mean, some of these illnesses are very disabling or fatal.

Real funny! I could just see them refusing care to little kids!

Old 11-25-2008, 02:57 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,566,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
I agreed with most everything you said. There is another side however. My son was not vaccinated, he got pertussis (whooping cough) and he got it badly. His grandmother who had been vaccinated for pertussis contracted whooping cough. I contracted whooping cough though not so badly as my son. I had been vaccinated for pertussis. When I visited my son and his grandmother in the hospital I was contagious but didn't know it. I went in and out of elevators with brand new mothers and their brand new babies (the maternity ward was on the same floor as infectious diseases- go figure!). I never failed to talk to the mothers and congratulate them (spreading germs I wasn't aware I had the whole time).
My son had previously had chicken pox. He had them so bad he still has many of the pock marks on his face to this day. His father got chicken pox from him (even though he'd been vaccinated) and I understand in adults they are dangerous and if I remember correctly can lead to sterility.
My point in all this is that I did my homework when I opted out of vaccines but my sources downplayed the seriousness of the diseases. Watching my son roll around while turning blue while I scream and hit him on his back screaming for him to breathe might be the scariest time of my life. It was like watching someone drown while they are not in any water and not being able to do anything about it but watch and scream. What a nightmare (and I'm just giving you the short version). Know what the worst that can happen from NOT vaccinating is so you'll be prepared.

That is the key! If you people are OK with making the decision to have their kids suffer from preventable diseases that they will more then likely be exposed to at school...That is their mistake. I would love to know how many parents have had their kids turn blue and cough in pain (like your child did) as a result from a vaccine. Probably none.

Old 11-25-2008, 04:02 PM

396 posts, read 1,036,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Danielle* View Post
That is the key! If you people are OK with making the decision to have their kids suffer from preventable diseases that they will more then likely be exposed to at school...That is their mistake. I would love to know how many parents have had their kids turn blue and cough in pain (like your child did) as a result from a vaccine. Probably none.
Danielle, I've got to tell you that you are quite an extremist.
You're in the all or nothing mode, which is your defense for something, I guess maybe just for defending the status quo, or maybe some deeper issue with immunizations that you are not sharing with us, I don't know.
The truth is, that unless you work for a drug company, what business is it of yours how parents who are not in the all or nothing camp with you, to talk of kids suffering, and limbs falling (slight exaggeration, but that is how you are coming off) off and that sort of thing.
Most of us who are not in your camp are taking a much more conservative approach (yes, we are the conservative ones here) instead of giving our kids copious amounts of shots in one sitting.
Listen carefully, most of us here are just talking about spreading out the shots, or selecting carefully, we are not a majorly of anti-vaccination. So stop going there!
This kind of action comes from people with an intelligent curiosity, because we are seeing something happening to kids at alarming rates and proportions and we are trying hard to protect our kids.

Old 11-25-2008, 04:43 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,998,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old biddie View Post
You're in the all or nothing mode, which is your defense for something, I guess maybe just for defending the status quo, or maybe some deeper issue with immunizations that you are not sharing with us, I don't know.
The truth is, that unless you work for a drug company, what business is it of yours how parents who are not in the all or nothing camp with you, to talk of kids suffering, and limbs falling (slight exaggeration, but that is how you are coming off) off and that sort of thing.
Most of us who are not in your camp are taking a much more conservative approach (yes, we are the conservative ones here) instead of giving our kids copious amounts of shots in one sitting.
Listen carefully, most of us here are just talking about spreading out the shots, or selecting carefully, we are not a majorly of anti-vaccination. So stop going there!
This kind of action comes from people with an intelligent curiosity, because we are seeing something happening to kids at alarming rates and proportions and we are trying hard to protect our kids.
Thank you for stating exactly what I am/was thinking so succinctly.

Danielle, I understand that you work with sick children and hate to see kids suffer. No one wants to see their child, or any child, suffer with any disease. People do not choose to forego certain vaxes because they have a deep seated desire to see children suffer and turn blue and gasp for air. They don't forego vaccines because they don't want their child to have a sore arm for a few days. They don't even forego vaccines because they are afraid of the autism boogeyman.

There are LOTS of health risks associated with all sorts of things... medications, epidurals, baby formula, vaccines, pollution, aluminum in deoderants, air pollution, traces of medications in tap water, overuse of antibiotics, microwaving food in plastic, genetically modified food, hydrogenated oils, hormones in cow's milk... and the list goes on and on.

Parents need to be educated and decide what steps to take to help their kids be healthy and safe as they grow into adulthood. It's not ONLY about protecting children while they're babies... it's helping those babies grow into healthy kids and healthy adults. It's also about making a conscious effort to disregard the scare tactics perpetuated by healthcare personnel who probably do have only the best intentions: share the worst case scenario to avoid kids suffering with illness.... but for most kids, the worst case scenario does not happen in either instance. Most kids do not die of pertussis (actually, the majority of kids are not even EXPOSED to pertussis), and most kids don't die from vaccines or have severe vaccine injuries.

There are many shades of gray in most parenting decisions... what is right for one child is not necessarily right for another. Sometimes we have to take a calculated risk in order to prevent future harm. Sometimes we need to go against what "everyone else" is doing in order to keep our kids safe. And sometimes we need to choose the lesser of two evils, taking lots of factors into consideration. It's not about choosing a blue and gasping baby over the "inconvenience" of taking the baby to the health department for his shots. If only it were that simple!

Old 11-25-2008, 04:51 PM

396 posts, read 1,036,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
Thank you for stating exactly what I am/was thinking so succinctly.

Danielle, I understand that you work with sick children and hate to see kids suffer. No one wants to see their child, or any child, suffer with any disease. People do not choose to forego certain vaxes because they have a deep seated desire to see children suffer and turn blue and gasp for air. They don't forego vaccines because they don't want their child to have a sore arm for a few days. They don't even forego vaccines because they are afraid of the autism boogeyman.

There are LOTS of health risks associated with all sorts of things... medications, epidurals, baby formula, vaccines, pollution, aluminum in deoderants, air pollution, traces of medications in tap water, overuse of antibiotics, microwaving food in plastic, genetically modified food, hydrogenated oils, hormones in cow's milk... and the list goes on and on.

Parents need to be educated and decide what steps to take to help their kids be healthy and safe as they grow into adulthood. It's not ONLY about protecting children while they're babies... it's helping those babies grow into healthy kids and healthy adults. It's also about making a conscious effort to disregard the scare tactics perpetuated by healthcare personnel who probably do have only the best intentions: share the worst case scenario to avoid kids suffering with illness.... but for most kids, the worst case scenario does not happen in either instance. Most kids do not die of pertussis (actually, the majority of kids are not even EXPOSED to pertussis), and most kids don't die from vaccines or have severe vaccine injuries.

There are many shades of gray in most parenting decisions... what is right for one child is not necessarily right for another. Sometimes we have to take a calculated risk in order to prevent future harm. Sometimes we need to go against what "everyone else" is doing in order to keep our kids safe. And sometimes we need to choose the lesser of two evils, taking lots of factors into consideration. It's not about choosing a blue and gasping baby over the "inconvenience" of taking the baby to the health department for his shots. If only it were that simple!
No, thank you!

Old 11-25-2008, 05:24 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,137,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
We are taking my 4 month old son for his second round of shots on Friday. We will be getting DTaP vaccinations, although we may skip the "P". My son wasn't very happy for a few days after the first round. I know we should have given him some baby Tylenol BEFORE the shots but we didn't give him baby Tylenol until well after.

Can someone tell me their experiences after their 2nd round of immunizations? I would like to know what to expect even though I know every baby is unique. I just want to see if I will get any sleep this weekend.

Thanks!!
It was a non-event. My kids didn't even get a temp. They had no sign of even a needle mark and didn't even cry either time.

I did give them tylenol a half hour before the appt (per the Doctors orders). I have never heard about tylenol not being taken with a vaccine. Our Dr. advised to give it before the appt. Can i see the study that says Tylenol with vaccines is bad? I have another kid coming so it would be nice to see the study on that.

Secondly, I too went to private school and you had to have your vaccinations up to date or they did not allow you to attend. No signing of a religious statement against it (it was a parochial school).
I posted in another thread that Parenting Magazine has an article about vaccines that is quite good. Also here is some info http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/vaccines/CC00014

Old 11-25-2008, 05:40 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,566,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old biddie View Post
Why do you say this?

I work with really sick kids. That is my defense. I tolerate people who delay vaccines. I say tolerate because I would of course like to see people vax on schedule. But I respect people who inform themselves... But it is very irritating to treat sick kids because of a decision made by a parent that was/is clearly not an informed decision. What is the fault in that?

Last edited by *Danielle*; 11-25-2008 at 05:51 PM..

Old 11-25-2008, 05:51 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,529,936 times
Isn't being extreme possible to be found on BOTH sides of the opinion?

Posters get attacked for being extreme yet the poster attacking them is being just as extreme.

Really, it makes no sense.

The whole point of all of this is education, not 7th grade bickering over who knows it more than the other.

Some have seen suffering on both sides & some take offense when they see EITHER side attacked b/c they have lived first hand with a severe situation.

Unless you have walked that walk & lived through those moments, you really have no right to judge. You have every right to an opinion but that's about it.

We all have our hands full trying to be good moms, dads, husband, wives and parents.

You've made a decision. Back it up in a manner that gives yourself some respect rather than seeming unrationally extreme.

NONE of us have the perfect answer nor are ANY of us doing everything 100%perfect. Raise your kids how you see fit & be ready to send them into society to survive. You, as the parent, have the tools to get them there.

Old 11-25-2008, 06:35 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,998,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Danielle* View Post
Why do you say this?

I work with really sick kids. That is my defense. I tolerate people who delay vaccines. I say tolerate because I would of course like to see people vax on schedule. But I respect people who inform themselves... But it is very irritating to treat sick kids because of a decision made by a parent that was/is clearly not an informed decision. What is the fault in that?
The fault in that is that it's not a black or white issue. Not having children vaccinated is not an uninformed decision. Someone who researches the issue IS informed.

Do you think that going along with vaccinations with no questions for the doctor makes one informed? More informed than someone who spent their whole pregnancy researching and talking to professionals and decides TO vaccinate? What if that same person decided NOT to vaccinate... does that make them less informed, because of the decision that they made?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting