Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2020, 07:58 AM

922 posts, read 1,112,158 times

Advertisements

We're also a "real" book family. We have a place called Half Price Books here in DFW and we LOVE it there. I also pick up books at our favorite thrift store or yard sales. Thriftbooks.com is a good place to find some great bargains, too. Reading an actual book makes it seem more...I don't know, authentic? I get the convenience of a digital book but we just never got into it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2020, 09:05 AM

12,043 posts, read 8,425,882 times
Their Mama was introduced to Dr. Seuss in third grade and loved the books. So did they.

I also loved the French and German fairy and folk tales and a simplified version of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table.

Old 09-11-2020, 01:55 AM

313 posts, read 269,265 times
Thanks, I'm enjoying these responses. They bring back fond memories.
My daughter's a book "hoarder". We have too many books (several boxes). She won't part with any. Then there's the stuffed animals and Breyer horses...
My son has amassed a large collection of Legos, video games, etc.
Tablet reading is my idea of cutting clutter. My son has Asthma and can't read if a book is dusty, musty, or has strong smelling inks/glues. We have to "off gas" new ones. Used often smell like air freshener and Amazon's shipments smelled fragranced.
I loved Beverly Cleary, Wind in the Willows, Stuart Little, The Black Stallion, Judy Blume at his age.

Old 09-11-2020, 06:55 PM

2 posts, read 362 times
Default My kids also love magic tree house

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
The Magic Treehouse historical fantasy series:

[url]https://www.magictreehouse.com/series/MT0/magic-tree-house-r[/url]
Great books for kids looking to move into the chapter books.

Old 09-11-2020, 07:00 PM

2 posts, read 362 times
Default The Family Love's Dr. Seuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Their Mama was introduced to Dr. Seuss in third grade and loved the books. So did they.

I also loved the French and German fairy and folk tales and a simplified version of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table.
Dr.Seuss is still a classic. We just read "My Big Book Of Beginner Books About Me", I have never read this before and the kids and I that it was really funny.

[url]https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/217343/my-big-book-of-beginner-books-about-me-by-various/[/url]

Old 09-11-2020, 07:24 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
My son only read Star Wars books in elementary and middle school. We have an enormous collection.

Old 09-22-2020, 02:41 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,901,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
The Prydain Chronicles, Harry Potter and The Hobbit started about that age. Amelia Bedelia, Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew, Phantom Tollbooth, Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing, Fantastic Mr. Fox and other Roald Dahl books, Little House on the Prairie books, Ramona and Beezus books, Indians in the Cupboard, Where the Red Fern Grows, Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Escape from Witch Mountain,Goosebumps, The Cay, Island of the Blue Dolphins, To Kill a Mockingbird, Charlotte's Web, Magic Tree House, Junie B Jones .... I also recommend 'real' books vs. digital....
Good suggestions, but "To Kill a Mockingbird" would be better appreciated at a considerably older age.

I'd add Donald Sobol's "Encyclopedia Brown" series (even if kids don't remember encyclopedias, they'll soon learn what they are and the series' mysteries, in which readers can match wits with boy-wonder Leroy (no, not that one) "Encyclopedia" Brown, will keep them intrigued.

I also prefer "real" books but if digital books are more appealing to youthful readers, then go for them.

Last edited by CraigCreek; 09-22-2020 at 03:02 PM..

Old 09-22-2020, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
My son only read Star Wars books in elementary and middle school. We have an enormous collection.
Once your libraries reopen, ask the librarian for recommendations of other science fiction books that would interest him, if he's still into Star Wars. Nothing wrong with Star Wars, but a literary diet limited to SW is sadly missing a lot. Have him give Jules Verne and Robert Heinlein a try for starters. Maybe Anne McCaffrey's "dragon" series.

Old 09-22-2020, 03:00 PM

6,825 posts, read 10,522,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Good suggestions, but "To Kill a Mockingbird" would be better appreciated at a considerably older age.
Could be. I was about 10 when I first read it, but people vary.

Old 09-22-2020, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
My oldest grandson is in the third grade (he's still only 6, but started Kindergarten early and skipped second). Last spring, during the Covid lockdown, he investigated his mother's (my DD's) collection of books from her childhood. She saved boxes and boxes of them. He discovered and devoured the Boxcar Children (ten books in the series), Goosebumps, Indian in the Cupboard, and Pippi Longstocking series. He's since advanced to Harry Potter, the first one in the series, which he's enjoying right now, though he still needs some of the unfamiliar words explained.
Reading and love of books run in families! I am so glad your grandson made such good use of his time and rediscovered all those great books.

I read my father's, aunt's and uncles' - and my grandmother's - childhood books when I would visit my grandmother. As a result, I had an early exposure to classic Victorian and early twentieth century children's literature, which included some gems as well as some duds: Andersen's and Grimm's Fairy Tales, Alcott, Verne, Hardy Boys, Buster Brown and His Sister Sue (sappy), The Little Colonel (never could understand why she was the only one in her circle of friends and acquaintances who spoke with a Southern accent), and more. Boys' series, girls' series - I read them all.

Anyone else remember "Little Prudy's Storybook"? It was a collection of fantastical stories with highly extravagant descriptions, unrelated to the literary character Little Prudy, who also had a series about her various (tame) adventures. At age ten or so, I thought the stories were wonderful and the writing just spectacular, with all those colorful descriptions of beautiful places and things- alas, when I reencountered the book as an adult, it was - well, just awful. Should have left that particular memory alone rather than to have brushed off the stardust....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting