Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2020, 03:09 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times

Advertisements

Testing demand is low in my state. For $200 you can go to Urgent Care and get a Fast Covid test that gives results in 15 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2020, 04:02 PM

9,500 posts, read 2,919,782 times
I know of at least 7 who has had covid and said it was like a bad cold, I know it can be serious, but I wish they would just report only those who had to be hospitalized. You hear numbers of who has covid, but how seriously are they sick

Old 09-09-2020, 05:15 PM

157 posts, read 93,148 times
We're fortunate (I guess, if you can call divorce "fortunate") that her father lives nearby and his rules are not as strict as mine are. We agreed that she would stay with him for the few months before she went to college and she will probably go there again for Thanksgiving break. She'll be nearby, with a parent, and she has less rules to follow, which I guess every teenager would prefer. So it's really not a bad situation.

But, let's face it, I'm her mother and I miss having her here. So I was curious to know what kind of precautions could maybe help ease my mind about it. Thank you to those who have responded so far.

Old 09-09-2020, 05:37 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
I think it’s something you just have to have common sense about. There are certain people to me who aren’t worth the risk of seeing at this time. My kids would definitely be worth it.

Old 09-09-2020, 06:45 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,542,940 times
I believe in being careful, but not paranoid. I'm like Bridge81. I get out and go to the store for what we need quite often. I go to our local large lake to go fishing occasionally. Think that's about the best thing I do because you won't be near anybody. If not fishing, just walking around some trails. Of course I joked on other threads that my problem is the fish have heard about social distancing. They won't get within 6 ft. of my hook.
My wife stays in most of the time. She's had several illnesses that could be a bad mix with Covid. She was scheduled for gastric sleeve surgery last March until our governor stopped all surgeries. She stayed in waiting for the OK for the operating room. Had her surgery August 5. During this time, other than other doctor appointments the only time she got out was when I got her out. About once a week or so I'd tell her it's a "get out of the house and get some fresh air" day. I just realized I hadn't mentioned we're both retired. I'll take her for a ride through the country, through some local state parks, etc. Been known to drive around 100 miles round trip from time to time. Her kids, grand and great grand youngsters have come to visit every now and then.
You can't just isolate yourself. Everybody needs a little fresh air time from time to time.

Old 09-09-2020, 06:54 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues4evr View Post
I know of at least 7 who has had covid and said it was like a bad cold, I know it can be serious, but I wish they would just report only those who had to be hospitalized. You hear numbers of who has covid, but how seriously are they sick
It's not a question of how sick they are, it's who they can infect. I suppose if they kill their parents or grandparents, they might have the money to go to college. If not, who would co-sign the student loan?

Old 09-09-2020, 07:27 PM

157 posts, read 93,148 times
For clarification, I do see my daughter. (Or, I did before a few weeks ago when she went to college.) She'd come over for lunch on the deck with us, or we'd go for a walk together, things like that. But I'm thinking in a few months when she's home for Thanksgiving break, it will be too cold for a meal outside, so I'm trying to think of what precautions I would be comfortable with to have her visit, or stay for some time with us, inside.

Now that I think more about it, I suppose the weather isn't usually so awfully cold that getting together for a walk or for coffee at some outdoor tables at a local restaurant will be out of the question. I hadn't really considered that until now. I've been envisioning a two month span of time between her college semesters when I won't be able to spend any real time with her, but maybe I'm not being open-minded enough to consider all the options.

Old 09-09-2020, 08:21 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
I honestly can't fathom being so afraid of this virus that my own kids wouldn't be welcomed in my home. My youngest is coming home next week for the first time in months, and I can't wait to see, and hug him.

OP, even with your choice of ultra conservative precautions, staying apart from your daughter for 2 months of winter break is unnecessary. The quarantine period is 14 days.

Old 09-09-2020, 09:13 PM

9,500 posts, read 2,919,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
It's not a question of how sick they are, it's who they can infect. I suppose if they kill their parents or grandparents, they might have the money to go to college. If not, who would co-sign the student loan?
They all but two are grandparents

Old 09-09-2020, 09:20 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I honestly can't fathom being so afraid of this virus that my own kids wouldn't be welcomed in my home. My youngest is coming home next week for the first time in months, and I can't wait to see, and hug him.

OP, even with your choice of ultra conservative precautions, staying apart from your daughter for 2 months of winter break is unnecessary. The quarantine period is 14 days.
I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting