Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2021, 03:20 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,621 posts, read 17,953,728 times

Advertisements

OP, I don't know where you live, and if your child has gotten regular well checks by a pediatrician, but these delays would have been questions and investigated long before this, if so.

Has she ever had a well check where her skills were assessed?

You are right to question her development, since she is behind both physically and mentally. The earlier you can address these deficits, the better the outcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2021, 03:43 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,238,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
My FIL did not talk until he was three, and when he did start it was in complete sentences. .

This was my situation as well, and I went on to being in gifted programs and qualifying for Mensa.

OP, you'll just need to give your child time. I had the same concerns with my daughter, and while I can't say she is gifted, she is smarter than most of her classmates and reads a couple grades above her level. Time will tell, but I hope you are not letting her see your discouragement if she's not measuring up to your expectations. Kids pick up on so much that we think we are hiding.

Old 03-29-2021, 03:55 PM

17,366 posts, read 16,511,485 times
Love your little one, they aren't small for long. Read to her, talk to her, sing stories to her, take her to lots of fun and different places, let her meet a variety of new people.

She will develop on her own schedule. You can mention this to her pediatrician and maybe have her checked for low iron. She still has a lot of growing and developing to do. She will do so at her own pace.

Old 03-29-2021, 04:37 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,832,149 times
Cutting the OP some slack, due to the language differences.

mod snip

Old 03-29-2021, 06:37 PM

57 posts, read 63,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
OP, I don't know where you live, and if your child has gotten regular well checks by a pediatrician, but these delays would have been questions and investigated long before this, if so.

Has she ever had a well check where her skills were assessed?

You are right to question her development, since she is behind both physically and mentally. The earlier you can address these deficits, the better the outcome.
We just had a general MD check her out. She'll get her hearing checked soon.

But since she's been about 6 month old, I have noticed she was always late on her milestone (crawling, cruising, etc).

My SO (her mother) is a little worried as well. I guess I came here to see that stories about late talkers or walkers are common. My two sons developped much faster so that's the only reference I have got.

Old 03-29-2021, 06:45 PM

57 posts, read 63,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
OP, I'm assuming you've tried to talk to your daughter's mother, right? Do you feel like the mother is not being straight with you?
Of course, we are still together. She is a little worried as well, though our daughter is her first child so she doesn't really have something to compare it to.

Old 03-29-2021, 06:54 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,021,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjuujj View Post
Of course, we are still together. She is a little worried as well, though our daughter is her first child so she doesn't really have something to compare it to.
You are still with your wife, who is not the mother of your other kids? What is her take on this?

Old 03-29-2021, 07:04 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,621 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjuujj View Post
We just had a general MD check her out. She'll get her hearing checked soon.

But since she's been about 6 month old, I have noticed she was always late on her milestone (crawling, cruising, etc).

My SO (her mother) is a little worried as well. I guess I came here to see that stories about late talkers or walkers are common. My two sons developped much faster so that's the only reference I have got.
In this year of COVID, the girl's mother hasn't likely had the benefit of socializing with a lot of other moms with toddlers, which is SO HELPFUL in spotting any kind of irregularity in a child.

And I'll say - usually fathers are in total denial with developmental issues with their children, and the mothers are usually the ones expressing nagging concerns. In your situation it's the opposite.

It's good that you've had your general MD check her out. She's on the path to being diagnosed to receive treatment, if there is found to be an issue with her development.

Old 03-29-2021, 07:17 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
WOW, WOW, WOW. REALLY. It has been a long time since I have "seen" such a callous parent. Putting a label of "dumb" on your child. I am hurting for her because clearly you are disappointed, and parental disappointment is an awful burden for a child to have to bear. First you need to get off that high horse you are riding on called "I am gifted and can't deal with the fact that I might have a slow learner or perhaps a mentally challenged child."

Over the span of maybe 40 years, I had the privilege of volunteering weekly while working and then daily with disabled children and I learned a lot more than I ever gave. No, I am unfortunately not a parent, but I chose to work with disabled children to help them reach for the stars. Some stars are closer to the ground than others - but they are all stars, nonetheless. Sometimes you need to actually smell the roses. I hope that you will take the time to read this poem and take it to heart. If, in fact she is mentally challenged, it will be difficult for you, but please, please don't take it out on her.

http://www.dsasc.ca/uploads/8/5/3/9/...to_holland.pdf
Oh... I didn’t take the use of the word dumb to be stupid. I took the use of the word dumb to mean nonverbal. Like years ago we used to call deaf people “deaf and dumb” because they couldn’t use speech.

Old 03-29-2021, 08:05 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Oh... I didn’t take the use of the word dumb to be stupid. I took the use of the word dumb to mean nonverbal. Like years ago we used to call deaf people “deaf and dumb” because they couldn’t use speech.

We used to call physically challenged, cripples, and mentally challenged, retards, and little people, midgets, but we no longer used such terminology and like you said “years” ago. We have come a long way since that terminology was considered appropriate. Solley can say be nice all he wants, but the comments coming my way indicate that I am not alone in my take on this.

Last edited by nuts2uiam; 03-29-2021 at 08:25 PM.. Reason: Spelling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting