Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2021, 03:08 PM

6,704 posts, read 5,930,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
[/b]

We used to call physically challenged, cripples, and mentally challenged, retards, and little people, midgets, but we no longer used such terminology and like you said “years” ago. We have come a long way since that terminology was considered appropriate. Solley can say be nice all he wants, but the comments coming my way indicate that I am not alone in my take on this.
"People with dwarfism" is considered the correct term, not "little people", I believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2021, 05:38 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
"People with dwarfism" is considered the correct term, not "little people", I believe.
It is possible that where you are located that is the norm, however, the Little People of America, LPA, is an organization that is specifically representing those with dwarfism. It is up to the individual person as to how he/she wishes to be addressed, of course. However, dwarfism is the medical condition and the little people I know prefer that title. It was actually addressed at a national discussion group and pointed out that they prefer Little Person because that is not a medical condition.

I had a personal friend who has since passed, that had achondroplasia, which is the most common form of Dwarfism and I had many hours with Little People of America.

Old 03-30-2021, 06:20 PM

57 posts, read 63,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
Are you engaging your child enough?
Sounds like possibly a lack of mental, physical and emotional involvements
To be honest, we couldn't find a daycare until recently and her grandmother babysit her while we worked. You can only ask so much from a 74 yo grandmother and her TV is often on while she only plays with our daugther limited amout of times.

Now she goes to daycare and we hope it helps. We try to stimulate her too as well. But my SO does tend to keep the TV on a lot too.

Old 03-30-2021, 07:09 PM

50,768 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
This. Ask the doctor, who can see your child and examine her.
I agree. Most states offer free early intervention with PT, OT, Speech coming to your house. One of my niece's twins spent his first 2 months in the hospital and had delays, they had early intervention (lasts until age 3, at which point if they still need help they will be offered enrollment in a preschool disabled or inclusion class, with the same services) and now he's 11, and although on the small side, has no delays at all in fact is smarter than his brother who had no delays.

Old 03-31-2021, 01:04 AM

325 posts, read 207,602 times
Kids are just so varied in their development and that in itself can cause stress and worry for parents. Sometimes there is no reason to their peculiarities and sometimes there is a cause that requires intervention or treatment. None of our children developed in the same fashion whether physically or intellectually and did NOT have similar personalities. They all reached the same goals...just on different schedules.

Our daughter didn't want to talk until she was two (she chose to point and make sounds) and yet was standing by herself at an extremely early age and crawling up stairs. When it came time to transition to solid foods, she didn't want to. She was so stubborn that she went from being in the 95th+ percentile at birth to being .5 lbs from being eligible for Boston Children's Hospital eating disorder program for children and that's just a few highlights before the age of 3. She put us through many diagnostic rollercoaster rides on a number of issues. She when on to graduate from medical school with honors.

Our other children had a complete absence of any issues compared with their sibling.

I will say that all diagnosticians are not created equal. Best of Luck!

Old 03-31-2021, 01:08 AM

2,140 posts, read 361,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjuujj View Post
My daughter is 16 month-old. She doesn't utter a single word. She doesn't walk, though she stands on her own. She doesn't point to things.

We ruled out autism because she keeps eye contact, reacts to a wide range of emotions, she doesn't 'stim', she isn't fussy and she generally just doesn't fit autistict traits.

But she is so slooooooooow to develop. She is always months late in reaching her milestones. I am increasingly worried she has a developmental disability or a low-IQ if you will.

I was a gift child. Her mother wasn't very good in school but she is a functionning well adjusted adult. So I doubt it is heriditary but I am afraid we were just unlucky and we simply have a slow child.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.
This would be something to print out, take to her pediatrician. Now.. You make no mention of an EIP, etc. My eldest was intensely energetic. I spent several years it seemed without being able to stand up. She’s thirty now. Brilliant, amazing, accomplished and there is nothing wrong with her. I’m currently mad at her, but that happens sometimes. I cannot say what you said - I can’t use a word like that in any sentence describing my child.

You need to find professional advice for what to do - not CD for this.

I’d call this urgent. If this a prank, so be it. I err on the side of (hopefully) offering a helpful comment for the baby girl because if this is genuine, the toddler really is in need of immediate evaluation and care because it appears pretty easy to identify one of the issues plaguing that needs to be addressed.

And again, if this is a prank, it’s not funny and shouldn’t be laughed off.

Maybe the OP is intoxicated. Oh my gosh. Call her doctor. Immediately. At least that would get her a full neuro work up and other tests.

OP: I wish your child the best. Let’s all do that. Do the right thing or if you’re just an idiot making this up - I would actually prefer that because... nope.

Last edited by paperwing; 03-31-2021 at 01:31 AM..

Old 03-31-2021, 05:00 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,936,640 times
Quote:
My daughter is 16 month-old. She doesn't utter a single word. She doesn't walk, though she stands on her own. She doesn't point to things.

We ruled out autism because she keeps eye contact, reacts to a wide range of emotions, she doesn't 'stim', she isn't fussy and she generally just doesn't fit autistict traits.

But she is so slooooooooow to develop. She is always months late in reaching her milestones. I am increasingly worried she has a developmental disability or a low-IQ if you will.

I was a gift child. Her mother wasn't very good in school but she is a functionning well adjusted adult. So I doubt it is heriditary but I am afraid we were just unlucky and we simply have a slow child.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.
Calling her dumb is a pretty low life thing to.say. Talk to someone with a title of doctor before their name.

Old 03-31-2021, 07:32 AM

2,306 posts, read 2,994,056 times
It's extremely disturbing to hear a parent ask if they are "unlucky" with their child. My daughter didn't talk until she was two. You can bet I spent every minute interacting with her those first two years, teaching her sign language, engaging with her & adoring her. It is my greatest honor to be her mom. Over the years we have learned she is dyslexic and has some auditory processing deficits. She is now 13 & I could list for you her many accomplishments, but I won't bother because I would love her just the same if she had accomplished nothing. OP, reframe your mindset immediately.

Old 03-31-2021, 07:29 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
Quote:
My daughter is 16 month-old. She doesn't utter a single word. She doesn't walk, though she stands on her own. .
I have a cousin who didn't speak untill he was 5 years old.
He became a math professor in a university here...
Every child grows at different rates...don't categorize her...she's soooo young...let her grow at her own speed...what's the rush????

Old 04-01-2021, 08:53 AM

731 posts, read 767,780 times
Quote:
To be honest, we couldn't find a daycare until recently and her grandmother babysit her while we worked. You can only ask so much from a 74 yo grandmother and her TV is often on while she only plays with our daugther limited amout of times.

Now she goes to daycare and we hope it helps. We try to stimulate her too as well. But my SO does tend to keep the TV on a lot too.
I was also wondering if the child was stimulated enough. My nephew's mother put him in a stroller most of his young life so she didn't have to run after him. Also put him in front of the TV. Lazy parents ... It definitely affected my nephew in a negative way.

OP Sometimes free babysitting isn't a good idea. Glad to hear that you're putting your child in day care. I bet it will help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting