Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 04:26 PM

1,122 posts, read 3,504,750 times

Advertisements

I never understood the big deal regarding children seeing mom or dad or other close family members naked in the shower or while changing, etc. In another thread someone suggested that a dad and his 4-year old daughter wear swim suits if they have to shower together. Why? Would the child somehow be harmed by seeing her mom or dad naked or showering with her dad if needed? With a child that small I really don't get what the big deal is. Maybe someone could explain it to me.
As the child gets older it may become awkward for both parties, especially with an opposite sex parent or sibling, but I don't see any problem with going through normal activities that may involve undressing with a small child present. I find it a bit silly to go without showering just because you don't want to take your small child in to the shower with you.

I saw both my parents naked as a child and even came into the men's locker room when I went swimming with my dad and brother. I'm not a least bit damaged by it and it didn't pose a problem at all in any way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 04:30 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,687,840 times
My ex showered with my daughter once when she was about 2, but felt uncomfortable. I give him credit for trying.

I don't want my 4 year old seeing some random man naked or using a urinal. They might not be comfortable with it either. You have no idea what OTHER people might do or say. Lewd comments or sexual gestures can't be un-experienced.

Old 08-17-2013, 04:31 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,914,733 times
This AGAIN??

Discussion Father Bathing Young Daughters

Boys in girls bathrooms/dressing rooms...ok or not?

Parental nudity

Too Old for Public Nudity

Old 08-17-2013, 04:32 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,276,638 times
America retains a lot of it's puritanical beliefs from the past. This tends to influence many peoples opinions towards nudity. I like you was raised with a very casual attitude towards nudity. But most of the friends I know were not.

Old 08-17-2013, 04:45 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,124,373 times
There was never any issue with me seeing my parents undressed when I was little. It was considered a normal thing. My father never bathed me, however, since my mother was a "traditional" stay at home mother and was responsible for my day to day care. I don't think my father would have even known how to bathe a child. LOL

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-17-2013, 06:04 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,062,587 times
Our kids bathed and showered with us till they were comfortable doing it by themselves--around 4 or 5 I think, it was no big deal. Still at 11 my daughters and i follow each other in and out of the shower almost every day. They have their own bathroom but my shower has the rainhead we all enjoy so they use the master bath shower. I think most kids will let their parents know when they are uncomfortable being naked around their parents and vice versa. This should be respected by all parties.

Old 08-17-2013, 06:11 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,434,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizita View Post
I never understood the big deal regarding children seeing mom or dad or other close family members naked in the shower or while changing, etc.
According to officials, children under 5 who see their parents naked are 69 times more likely to commit felonies later in life.

Old 08-17-2013, 09:02 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,019,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizita View Post
I never understood the big deal regarding children seeing mom or dad or other close family members naked in the shower or while changing, etc. In another thread someone suggested that a dad and his 4-year old daughter wear swim suits if they have to shower together. Why?
You're not alone. I rolled by eyes at the suggestion they wear swim suits to shower. And I was outright shocked at the people who thought it was best that he leave her alone at the campsite. The child is safer with her father than being left alone. There are a lot of lowlifes at campgrounds---homeless, felons, people running from the law. It's not place to leave children alone. Most young children bath and shower with their parents all the time at home. The camping dad is smart enough to protect her, but he needs to be with her to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Our kids bathed and showered with us till they were comfortable doing it by themselves--around 4 or 5 I think, it was no big deal. Still at 11 my daughters and i follow each other in and out of the shower almost every day. They have their own bathroom but my shower has the rainhead we all enjoy so they use the master bath shower. I think most kids will let their parents know when they are uncomfortable being naked around their parents and vice versa. This should be respected by all parties.
I totally agree. I remember my children diving into my bathtub. They'd hear the water and come running. It got to the point I wanted some alone time! I'd try to sneak off to have a bath simply because I'd get a mommy break, not because I was worried about nakedness. Kids develop modesty on their own schedule. It comes naturally with time.

Old 08-17-2013, 10:24 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,833,054 times
We showered with our twin Sons up until they were about 3 or 4, but one time my one Son giggled and said "Boy Mom, you sure have a furry pee pee !" That was the end of the showering together as a family.

Don

Old 08-17-2013, 10:47 PM

1,122 posts, read 3,504,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
We showered with our twin Sons up until they were about 3 or 4, but one time my one Son giggled and said "Boy Mom, you sure have a furry pee pee !" That was the end of the showering together as a family.
Why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting