Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 02:47 PM

52 posts, read 235,343 times

Advertisements

My son and I just got back from our first band meeting. He will start beginning band next year in 6th grade. He's very excited and it really seems like this is going to be the thing for him.

I tried to talk him into something awesome like the electric guitar. He, of course, wanted to play an instrument not on the list. The bassoon. I had never even heard of it before. The band director said it was a great instrument, but very costly, and very difficult to learn. Of course he's adamant that's what he wants to do. The director said he does not allow the beginning band to start out on the bassoon and suggested he begin with the trombone and then he could switch to the bassoon later. And he also suggested that the school might purchase it so that we could just use it and not have to pay for one. So my son agreed and is now a trombonist.

I know nothing about musical instruments so this will be a learning experience for me too. He is musically inclined. My mom thinks I need to get him piano lessons because when he just plays around on hers, she said he seems to have a good ear for the music.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 02:52 PM

2,489 posts, read 7,210,932 times
Welcome to the wonderful world of band. My son took band this year and is playing trumpet. If the school doesn't provide instruments they should give you a list of places to go where you can rent the instrument (can purchase later). That way you don't have to invest 1000's of dollars on something he may not stick with.

The school should teach him how to read music as part of the class. You will be amazed at what he will be able to do by christmas.

Old 05-21-2008, 02:55 PM

Yes the meeting was about the rental of the instrument. We will pay around $40.00 per month and it will go toward the purchase. That includes insurance, the music book, a stand, everything. The trombone was like $900! Wow. Makes me really wonder how much the bassoon would cost.

Old 05-21-2008, 03:02 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,103,724 times
and it sounds no better then a trombone [or in our case trumpet]you could buy used in a pawn shop.....we did that for g'son and he played it beautifully.....

Old 05-21-2008, 03:05 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,952,491 times
We were lucky - a trumpet was given to us by a friend, so guess what my son played - trumpet.
He's now in 8th grade - three years of band, and 2 years of jazz band on top of that. Once they can play one instrument, learning others is generally a piece of cake. My son plays drums on the side. Takes lessons for that - just because he loves it.
You really will be amazed at the progress!

Old 05-21-2008, 03:09 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,431,910 times
$900 for a trombone is cheap, actually, even for a student model. You got a deal. :P

Not to scare you, but you (and your son!) should start saving pennies now as band is one of the most expensive activities- especially when you get to high school marching band. That was well over $700 a YEAR for EACH of us. Plus, once in high school, most high schools require a better instrument. So I went from my $500 plastic student model clarinet to a $2000 wham bam wooden model... which I actually bought cheap from the music store owner. My brother now has several trumpets and all kinds of mouthpieces and mutes.

Do you know if your son is allowed to play the oboe? Bassoons are double reeded instruments and to go from a trombone (metal mouthpiece) to a double reed is a completely new monster. He'd be better off playing a single reed like a clarinet or sax. There probably is a shortage of first year trombone players since EVERYONE wants to play trumpet/clarinet/sax/flute and no one ever wants to play the tuba or trombone.

Old 05-21-2008, 03:18 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,265,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christy309 View Post
....He, of course, wanted to play an instrument not on the list. The bassoon.
Oh lord. Double reeded...pain...and expensive. Not necessarily a good marching band instrument and not too many jazz bassoonists out there either.

Please sway him into playing brass. I played trombone from 6th grade through college. I also learned baritone and valve trombone.

<I've got one I'd sell you if you're interested. I always try to encourage people to go low brass.>

Old 05-21-2008, 03:24 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,290,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christy309 View Post
Yes the meeting was about the rental of the instrument. We will pay around $40.00 per month and it will go toward the purchase. That includes insurance, the music book, a stand, everything. The trombone was like $900! Wow. Makes me really wonder how much the bassoon would cost.
I have a high school trombonist. The $900 is a good beginner trombone. Wait until he wants to upgrade (if he sticks with the trombone) $3000+ . They do sound MUCH better though. DS uses his beginner trombone for marching band and his good one for concert band.

Our twins play sax and the beginner saxes are $1500/each.

I LOVE the bassoon. It is a great sound. I wonder why the trombone and not something like the sax or clarinet before going into the bassoon??

Old 05-21-2008, 03:25 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,290,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
Oh lord. Double reeded...pain...and expensive. Not necessarily a good marching band instrument and not too many jazz bassoonists out there either.

Please sway him into playing brass. I played trombone from 6th grade through college. I also learned baritone and valve trombone.

<I've got one I'd sell you if you're interested. I always try to encourage people to go low brass.>
One of the marching bands in our area had a bassoon solo to start their show--it was pretty cool.

Old 05-21-2008, 04:16 PM

Well I'm hoping he likes the trombone so much he'll decide to stay with it. Once he gets something in his head though it's hard to get it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting